How do you reinstall MacOS without another Mac?

I've got an old 2009 Mac Pro that was completely wiped from previous hijinks. I've got a new SSD that I'm trying to reinstall MacOS onto but on top of having no real idea of how MacOS works (I've never used one before) Google isn't helping with reinstalling MacOS onto it. I know it helps to have another Mac device on hand to perform some reinstall/repair process, but I don't have one available. I've got a flash drive I can use, but that's about it. How do you reinstall MacOS without another Mac?

Hold CMD + I when it boots up to boot into Internet Recovery. Or CMD + R (regular recovery mode keybind, but it will boot to Internet Recovery if no OS is present). It will usually try and download the launch OS though, which can be annoying to upgrade from. On my mid-2012 MBPs that was Mac OS X Mountain Lion if I booted to Internet Recovery with no OS present. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

You can use a Windows computer(if you have one) to make a MacOS install drive using a 32GB or larger flash drive. Then you would just hold option when turning on the Mac computer with the flash drive plugged in. When the boot options pull up you would click the MacOS installer off of the flash drive and it will walk you through the install process.

If it's a 2009 Mac computer you're going to be limited to MacOS El Capitan. Which just as an FYI isn't really good for much these days. You're going to be very limited on what a Mac this old can be used for.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 hour ago, Sir Dude said:

I've got an old 2009 Mac Pro that was completely wiped from previous hijinks. I've got a new SSD that I'm trying to reinstall MacOS onto but on top of having no real idea of how MacOS works (I've never used one before) Google isn't helping with reinstalling MacOS onto it. I know it helps to have another Mac device on hand to perform some reinstall/repair process, but I don't have one available. I've got a flash drive I can use, but that's about it. How do you reinstall MacOS without another Mac?

I wouldn't be surprised if you're SoL since I remember a couple of years ago running into an issue with older Macs that didn't have a supported OS available to them at all. Apple basically clearing out older OS's that the recovery environment has access to.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

On 3/20/2024 at 1:42 PM, SpookyCitrus said:

You can use a Windows computer(if you have one) to make a MacOS install drive using a 32GB or larger flash drive. Then you would just hold option when turning on the Mac computer with the flash drive plugged in. When the boot options pull up you would click the MacOS installer off of the flash drive and it will walk you through the install process.

If it's a 2009 Mac computer you're going to be limited to MacOS El Capitan. Which just as an FYI isn't really good for much these days. You're going to be very limited on what a Mac this old can be used for.

Where do I go to actually do that? I couldn't seem to find anything that wasn't sketchy. And I don't actually need to use the Mac. I'm just trying to make a Windows server PC, I'm broke af and this is the most powerful computer I own. I just need MacOS to hand the hardware over to Windows because just throwing a Windows installed SSD into the machine didn't work last time I tried.

43 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

Where do I go to actually do that? I couldn't seem to find anything that wasn't sketchy. And I don't actually need to use the Mac. I'm just trying to make a Windows server PC, I'm broke af and this is the most powerful computer I own. I just need MacOS to hand the hardware over to Windows because just throwing a Windows installed SSD into the machine didn't work last time I tried.

If I'm remembering correctly, if it's an intel based mac, you should just be able to use a USB drive to install Windows onto it directly. You don't even need to have MacOS installed.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

On 3/20/2024 at 3:28 PM, Sir Dude said:

Turn the mac on and press and hold the option/alt key down to select the boot device.

It's a computer, so you need to find the CD/DVD with the OS and drivers for that computer or get a copy of the operating system and install it.

You can also run linux on it via the same process.