Will 4K KVMs work with Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED Monitor?

MadManMoe
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,
1 hour ago, MadManMoe said:

I hate long posts, so I'll try and keep this short (prefer replies from those who have experience with the G9).

Current Setup:

• (For Work):
    • Model: Lenovo Thinkpad T14 running
    • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 5850U
    • GPU: Dedicated Radeon Graphics
  • (For Home):
  • CKL 2 Port KVM switch 
  • Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED Monitor (Model: LS49CG954SNXZA)

Previously, I've had two Alienware 27-inch 1080p monitors that worked without a problem...until i replaced them with the G9.

the TL;DR of it all is I spent hours mixing...altering...moving cables and setups and wires around, until I went flat out cave-man and connected my work laptop using HDMI and my home PC with the included DP cables...but now...my KVM is basically an overpriced KM instead of a KVM switch. 

My questions are:

1. is the G9 so finicky and so sensitive, that it just refuses to cooperate with most KVMs (not enough resources out there, but seems to be an issue)?
  2. My home machine is running Pop OS. Direct connection using the included 8K DP cable, I get at best 120Hz with full resolution. @ 240Hz the screen goes mad and flickers on and off every 2 seconds. is this an OS issue or monitor issue or PC issue? (Laptop runs fine at 120Hz using HDMI which is perfectly acceptable for me).
  3. Rumor has it the G9 has a built-in USB switch/hub. Nothing in the included documentation says anything about it. Anyone know anything about it?
  4. Finally: Do I just need to rip out all my wires cables and replace each one with an 8K certified cable? Is that really my issue?

Thanks in advance Fellow tech guys.

I should note on the product page of the KVM it says:

Special Reminder on 5K resolution:  This KVM switch does not work for 5K (5120x1440 or 5120x2880) over 100Hz, recommended is 50/60Hz. Please be aware of this before order.

I hate long posts, so I'll try and keep this short (prefer replies from those who have experience with the G9).

Current Setup:

• (For Work):
  • (For Home):
  • CKL 2 Port KVM switch 

Previously, I've had two Alienware 27-inch 1080p monitors that worked without a problem...until i replaced them with the G9.

the TL;DR of it all is I spent hours mixing...altering...moving cables and setups and wires around, until I went flat out cave-man and connected my work laptop using HDMI and my home PC with the included DP cables...but now...my KVM is basically an overpriced KM instead of a KVM switch. 

My questions are:

1. is the G9 so finicky and so sensitive, that it just refuses to cooperate with most KVMs (not enough resources out there, but seems to be an issue)?
  2. My home machine is running Pop OS. Direct connection using the included 8K DP cable, I get at best 120Hz with full resolution. @ 240Hz the screen goes mad and flickers on and off every 2 seconds. is this an OS issue or monitor issue or PC issue? (Laptop runs fine at 120Hz using HDMI which is perfectly acceptable for me).
  3. Rumor has it the G9 has a built-in USB switch/hub. Nothing in the included documentation says anything about it. Anyone know anything about it?
  4. Finally: Do I just need to rip out all my wires cables and replace each one with an 8K certified cable? Is that really my issue?

32 minutes ago, MadManMoe said:

until I went flat out cave-man and connected my work laptop using HDMI and my home PC with the included DP cables

the cave man solution is using the two available video inputs the monitor supports?

21 minutes ago, emosun said:

the cave man solution is using the two available video inputs the monitor supports?

Yes

5 minutes ago, MadManMoe said:

Yes

ah ok. does the monitor have no way to switch between those inputs or?

1 minute ago, emosun said:

Yes

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

That's what he's doing right now. But he'd like the button on his KVM to switch K, V, and M. Not just K and M and then switch the video separately.

until I went flat out cave-man and connected my work laptop using HDMI and my home PC with the included DP cables...but now...my KVM is basically an overpriced KM instead of a KVM switch.

3 minutes ago, MadManMoe said:

Yes

ah so the monitor doesn't have an osd? that is quite an issue for sure. I gotta say it's been a long time since I saw a monitor that didn't have an osd so i'd almost recommend a different monitor regardless of the kvm issue. i hope the issue gets solved

Current Setup:

• (For Work):
  • (For Home):
  • CKL 2 Port KVM switch 

My questions are:

Special Reminder on 5K resolution:  This KVM switch does not work for 5K (5120x1440 or 5120x2880) over 100Hz, recommended is 50/60Hz. Please be aware of this before order.

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

... so i'd almost recommend a different monitor regardless of the kvm issue. i hope the issue gets solved

Not by using your suggestions.

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

Oh, man. Totally missed that part. I got it a few years ago, so that's why it worked so well until I got the G9 now. Great catch, that makes perfect sense.

If you have any recommended KVMs that can support this monster, I would appreciate it. Either way, many thanks!

4 minutes ago, MadManMoe said:

Oh, man. Totally missed that part. I got it a few years ago, so that's why it worked so well until I got the G9 now. Great catch, that makes perfect sense.

If you have any recommended KVMs that can support this monster, I would appreciate it. Either way, many thanks!

The L1Techs model may work, as it supports Display Stream Compression which is what's needed for 5K 240 Hz to work. Not tested personally though.

https://www.store.level1techs.com/products/p/14-kvm-switch-single-monitor-2computer-64pfg-7l6da