160mhz 5G and 6ghz not working, kindly asking for help

jre84

Hi there I have a 6E Ax210 and a Mediatek MT7922 wifi card and I'm on shaws 1.5gbit plan. I am having troubles getting above 1gig I can't seem to connect to the 6ghz signal and have done just about every combination of settings. yesterday I managed to get 1550mb/s but after using it it reverted to 950mb/s. I have a netgear ax43 nighthawk and have no idea how to get 6ghz with the router also as the wan port is 1gig.

problems

1) 6ghz not showing with any of my cards mt7922 and ax210 but showing 6e with my samsung s21 ultra

2) have no clue how to get over 1gig with my nighthawk rax43 router might return it because it has just 1gig wan port maybe aggregation?? would help

any help would be greatly appreciated as I have been trying to solve this for the last day.

1) Your router is gigabit only, you'll NEVER get more than that to the internet without a multi-gigabit router (one with a 2.5Gb WAN port at least) and having an ISP device that supports 2.5GbE ports as well.

2) The router you have is WiFi 6, it's not WiFi 6E which is where you get 6GHz connectivity, you'll NEVER see a 6GHz SSID because the router you mentioned doesn't have the ability to broadcast on 6GHz.

Edit:

Assuming this is your router:
https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/routers/rax43/

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 hours ago, jre84 said:

yesterday I managed to get 1550mb/s but after using it it reverted to 950mb/s.

As in the PHY speed or local speed tests?

5 hours ago, jre84 said:

1) 6ghz not showing with any of my cards mt7922 and ax210 but showing 6e with my samsung s21 ultra

Not sure what your S21 Ultra was seeing especially given what @Lurick pointed out about your router's specifications.

5 hours ago, jre84 said:

2) have no clue how to get over 1gig with my nighthawk rax43 router might return it because it has just 1gig wan port maybe aggregation?? would help

Port aggregation has to be supported on both the router and the modem for that to work.

When it comes to multi-gig internet connections, you have to make sure that your ports can exceed the speeds you'll be paying for. So, in your situation, you're looking at 2.5Gbps or better. This takes into consideration various overheads that can drop the speed and it also should provide you with hardware that can handle WAN-to-LAN or LAN-to-WAN speeds that high.

Having gigabit ports doesn't necessarily mean that the hardware can perform transfers at gigabit speeds. The CPU/chipset/cooling must be up to the task.

thanks for the info 🙂

I just reset my shaw box and did a network reset. 6ghz wont show on laptop but thats fine. It does support 6e on modem and laptop. Cell phone picks up 6E channel with all defualt settings as it should but laptops are still a miss. Should I just buy a 6E dongle to save more time being wasted troubleshooting a 6E m.2 wifi card they seem to just not work

finally got it working, need to run more tests but ill post the solution.

Screenshot-5.png

1 hour ago, jre84 said:

finally got it working, need to run more tests but ill post the solution.

Screenshot-5.png

Definitely curious how you got past the limitation of the router only having a Gigabit WAN port.  Aggregation is very hit and miss, it generally doesn't work to speed up a single client, it just doubles the total bandwidth available when using multiple clients.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

XB8=1500mb/s wifi 6E

RAX43=900mb/s wifi 6

I cant get 1500mbs with my netgear rax43 router but since it has great range and ethernet like latency Im using it for my gaming laptop in my bedroom and in my living room Im using the XB8 from shaw for 6e speeds, best of both worlds. I actually created a network connection manually and seperated channels then added the newly named 6ghz network and waited till it refreshed since a network reset did nothing. pretty happy my ultrabook is proving to be my best purchase in a long time, downloaded GTA V and God of war in about 10 minutes for both, not sure how but both games booted within the 10-15 min of downloading. I think my speed was 1.3gbs

8 hours ago, jre84 said:

XB8=1500mb/s wifi 6E

RAX43=900mb/s wifi 6

This is where stating pertinent information from the start could have saved a lot of misinterpretation.

8 hours ago, jre84 said:

I cant get 1500mbs with my netgear rax43 route

Never will be. All of the ethernet ports can only go at a maximum rate of 1Gbps.

Higher aggregate/cumulative speeds of the WLAN are possible, but most home users don't care about it.

9 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Definitely curious how you got past the limitation of the router only having a Gigabit WAN port. 

Shaw/XB8 (WiFi 6E, tri-band) ---> 1GbE ---> RAX43 (WiFi 6, dual-band)

Tests seem to have been done over WiFi 6E to the XB8 resulting in that screenshot

@jre84 - Hopefully, you've configured the RAX43 in AP mode if you're concerned about double-NAT and port forwarding.

indeed, I do appreciate the feedback. I was curious about both not just one as I bought the rax43 for faster speeds, in the end it doesn't matter as they both have uses. on my gaming laptop the rax43 is still a better choice as the xb8 gets 800-500 at 60ft away and the rax43 700-900. distance plays a role. I should have been more clear. i was just looking for a work around, feedom of thought.

I am now curious if I can wirelessly tether or use my rax43 as a extender, say wirelessly connecct to the xb8 and transmit a faster speed that way, bah wish i knew more about wifi.

seems clear, I was getting 6e with my cell and wanted it with my laptop? I don't know how that can be misinterpreted. if you think im talking about the rax43 in that question? why? as i stated the rax43 doesn't do more than 1 gig

1 hour ago, jre84 said:

seems clear, I was getting 6e with my cell and wanted it with my laptop? I don't know how that can be misinterpreted. if you think im talking about the rax43 in that question? why? as i stated the rax43 doesn't do more than 1 gig

Well, we never knew an XB8 existed until here. We don't all use Shaw to know this. Your 6GHz signal is coming from the XB8, not the RAX43.

Phones tend to perform better with WiFi than computers for several reasons. But you should realize that 6GHz has an even shorter range than 5GHz. If an imaginary straight line drawn between your device and the XB8 encounters walls/floors with distance, then a 6GHz signal will be significantly attenuated by the time it reaches you.

1 hour ago, jre84 said:

I am now curious if I can wirelessly tether or use my rax43 as a extender, say wirelessly connecct to the xb8 and transmit a faster speed that way, bah wish i knew more about wifi.

Being of 2 different brands, they're unlikely to be able to communicate in this manner. Even if they did, it would be at the expense of one band and, at that point, you're sacrificing speed and latency for coverage.

A better way to do this would be to convert the RAX43 to AP mode and connect it to the XB8 via an ethernet uplink. You get a reliable wired backhaul that should always be at 1Gbps and can fully utilize all bands and ports on the RAX43.

ok thanks. 🙂

Quick question, the 6ghz band is disconnected and not showing after a restart of windows. all i did was reboot and now its not showing with identical settings. any ideas>?

1 hour ago, jre84 said:

the 6ghz band is disconnected and not showing after a restart of windows. all i did was reboot and now its not showing with identical settings. any ideas>?

1. How far are you from the XB8 when this happens?
  2. Do you have a separate SSID for the 6GHz band? Or does the XB8 give all bands the same SSID?
  3. Assess the strength of the 6GHz signal from the same computer using WiFi Analyzer. Post a screenshot.

im about 10 feet from the XB8 I have the bands seperated as before, and i just tried changing the name and then adding a network to connect to manually, still nothing. thanks once again for your help

7 minutes ago, jre84 said:

im about 10 feet from the XB8 I have the bands seperated as before, and i just tried changing the name and then adding a network to connect to manually, still nothing. thanks once again for your help

And what did WiFi Analyzer show?

excellent reception

im talking to asus support also right now and not having any luck

2 hours ago, jre84 said:

excellent reception

So the PC(s) with the WiFi 6E adapters can see the 6GHz but cannot connect to the network?

i checked in my routers settings it shows all the connections ax ac g n ect. it shows the least used channel. 161 has two clients and thats the 6ghz default channel. its frustrating i might just give up. no info on google showing people how to get 6ghz channels to show when the router is clearly broadcasting it and the laptop not picking it up is a problem with 3 of my new laptops all with different 6e cards. just messed

• 2 weeks later...

anyone know?

I just bought a BE200 and after plugging it in and installing drivers 6e works it picks up the 6ghz channel. as for my gaming laptop and zenbook they are unable to pick up 6ghz signal, im thinking it might have to do with region settings or the 6ghz band on the card being turned off. all honesty I have no idea what the reason is anything even a hint would help

out of 1 billion computer users. and one million linus members no one has setup wifi 6e? nothing on google

co pilot shows this clearly stating people are dishonest

The 6 GHz frequency band is available for WiFi6E and WiFi7 access points in various regions. To activate the 6 GHz band, you typically need to navigate to your network settings and enable it manually. The specific steps can vary depending on your device and network setup. For a detailed guide and a list of supported countries, you can refer to the official help centers of your network device’s brand12. Remember, the availability of the 6 GHz band also depends on local regulations and the compatibility of your network devices.

2 hours ago, jre84 said:

out of 1 billion computer users. and one million linus members no one has setup wifi 6e? nothing on google

More likely everyone who has it, its working fine for them.  So they have no clue what is going wrong for you.

From what I've read, it doesn't even perform better than 5Ghz anyway, often worse due to less range.  You're going to need WiFi 7 to get consistently faster than Gigabit due to it being able to use multiple frequencies at the same time and wider channels.

I mean I've personally seen speeds over Gigabit on WiFi 6 5Ghz, but only very rarely.  Conditions have to be absolutely perfect to get the maximum speed out of WiFi, and this is completely out of your control as its often just the weather changing the interference, or you happened to have the antennas in exactly the right position briefly.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

11 hours ago, jre84 said:

This is what happens when you're an early adopter. You'll have to deal with all of the incompatibilities and quirks until more people start using the technology.

11 hours ago, jre84 said:

co pilot shows this clearly stating people are dishonest

The 6 GHz frequency band is available for WiFi6E and WiFi7 access points in various regions. To activate the 6 GHz band, you typically need to navigate to your network settings and enable it manually. The specific steps can vary depending on your device and network setup. For a detailed guide and a list of supported countries, you can refer to the official help centers of your network device’s brand12. Remember, the availability of the 6 GHz band also depends on local regulations and the compatibility of your network devices.

Not sure what is "dishonest".

Here is what I think you're not fully understanding. While your XB8 has a 6GHz antenna to broadcast WiFi to WiFi 6E clients, access won't necessarily be available all of the time, especially when you realize that the wider you go on channel width on 6GHz (and even on 5GHz), you're bound to overlap with DFS channels. 6GHz is not exactly an "unoccupied" band; like 5GHz, it's utilized by "incumbent services" like microwave, satellite, mobile, astronomy, etc. If any of these services are being heavily used in your area, they can interfere with your signal. 

On 3/31/2024 at 8:58 PM, jre84 said:

I just bought a BE200 and after plugging it in and installing drivers 6e works it picks up the 6ghz channel. as for my gaming laptop and zenbook they are unable to pick up 6ghz signal

OK. So you seem to be upgrading all of the WiFi adapters but not taking one other thing into consideration.

While adapter upgrades [and relevant driver upgrades] from one generation to the other will generally work for most people, you haven't really upgraded the physical antennae. In the majority of cases, this is not relevant, but keep in mind that the antennae that came with your laptops were tuned for the adapters that were placed in them from the factory. Upgrading the adapter, especially in a laptop that isn't too old, should still work, but it likely won't work as well compared to devices that came with WiFi 6E/7 directly from the manufacturer; e.g. your phone.

8 hours ago, jre84 said:

and one million linus members no one has setup wifi 6e?

For some context as well. 6Ghz only started to be used in WiFi 6e, which was adopted in 2020 according to Wikipedia. So we have 4 years of use. Its going to take time for things to be worked out. WiFi 5 was out for years before I upgraded to it. Furthermore there are lots of variables including the router, the WiFi adapter on the client, the environment that they are in that effect performance. If you want good reliable speeds invest in Ethernet.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

thanks for the input gentlemen.

I can literally find nothing on google, co pilot says software needs to be configured but doesn't say what or how. on my vivo book the 6ghz just works I swapped the MT7922 card from my zenbook into my vivo and it worked great. I just hoping if I buy a BE200 to replace my AX210 in my gaming laptop it will just work, but my gut says its software and i'll be faced with the same issue. I was wondering if you guys know or have experiences with the be200 and wifi 7. I might just order a BE200 and try it out in my gaming laptop then take the time to try different windows install settings to see what works, I think its the region settings. I set my gaming laptop to us language and region to canada.

one quick question is their a  way to see what settings my vivobook has for region and install settings. it says its set to us and recommended language. but I have no idea what I did to get it working, not even the slightest.