2 windows installations problem

r0b0f0r0ce

I have 2 windows installations on my pc .. win 10 on an old hdd and win 11 on a m.2 

i had win 10 on the hdd originally and when i got the m.2 i installed win 11, the problem im having is that I cant access win 11 without win 10 .. for some reason I need to go through win 10 to get to win 11 .. when i unplug the hdd that has win 10, win 11 just becomes inaccessible, it goes into an automatic repair screen but it doesnt repair anything, I tried to follow some tutorials online but no luck 

i still have access to everything atm but I want to format the hdd but dont want to have to reinstall windows and all programs 

any ideas how I can fix this ?

This means that when you installed Windows 11 it put a boot partition on the other drive or is using one from the Windows 10 HDD. The only way to fix this would be to figure out which partition it is and move it to the M.2, or reinstall Windows with only the M.2 in the system. Windows is weird like that where it can seemingly for no reason put required partitions for booting on separate drives in the system without you asking it too. 

Another way of possibly fixing it would be to move the primary partition from the M.2 to another drive, reinstall Windows on it and then replace the newly created primary partition with the primary partition you saved with all of your data. I've done that in the past for uefi conversions or on boot corrupted OS' to fix those types of issues, it's just very difficult to do/explain when not in person. And you need to have particular software and sometimes tools to do it. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

17 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

This means that when you installed Windows 11 it put a boot partition on the other drive or is using one from the Windows 10 HDD. The only way to fix this would be to figure out which partition it is and move it to the M.2, or reinstall Windows with only the M.2 in the system. Windows is weird like that where it can seemingly for no reason put required partitions for booting on separate drives in the system without you asking it too. 

Another way of possibly fixing it would be to move the primary partition from the M.2 to another drive, reinstall Windows on it and then replace the newly created primary partition with the primary partition you saved with all of your data. I've done that in the past for uefi conversions or on boot corrupted OS' to fix those types of issues, it's just very difficult to do/explain when not in person. And you need to have particular software and sometimes tools to do it. 

so is this what I need ? if yes do i need to do it from win 10 or win 11 ? 

disk 0 is the hdd with win 10 and disk 3 is the m.2 with win 11
image.thumb.png.e4250d05c912168ca82d8e6ed3095941.png

32 minutes ago, r0b0f0r0ce said:

so is this what I need ? if yes do i need to do it from win 10 or win 11 ? 

disk 0 is the hdd with win 10 and disk 3 is the m.2 with win 11
image.thumb.png.e4250d05c912168ca82d8e6ed3095941.png

There are three drives? You said two? You need the EFI Partition and the Recovery Partition, the question now is which ones, since there are two drives with them you'd need to figure out which ones are for Windows 10 and which ones are for Windows 11. Lol, what a mess.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

9 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

There are three drives? You said two? You need the EFI Partition and the Recovery Partition, the question now is which ones, since there are two drives with them you'd need to figure out which ones are for Windows 10 and which ones are for Windows 11. Lol, what a mess.

disk 0 : hdd with win 10 

disk 1 : ssd that was on a different pc and had windows but i formatted it and those extra partitions remained there from old win installation so i im pretty sure that one is not relevant here  

disk 2 : m.2 with win 11 

yeah this is an absolute mess and I have just got time to sort it lmao 

Chris titus talk

his latest stream at the end he's repairing his windows he did fix boot tho although his problem is different.

Maybe his one of the fixes you can try.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

It looks like the windows recovery partition is on disk 0 and when you try to access the windows 11 it can't access the recovery partition and freaks out.