New Build / Upgrade advice

Budget (including currency): £700-£900 (GBP)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming (4k Resolution (At 60Hz) at High/Ultra Settings when possible) (This also includes retro games and emulation from time to time, not at 4k ofc) / Coding / 3D Modelling.

Please Read:

In addition to the Gaming section, I also play Modded Minecraft (v1.12.2 currently) a lot and the reason I mention this in particular is because, some folks from the modding community (Thanks Discord users/servers!) have told Me single core / single thread performance really matters when using the kind of mods that I like to play-with / use in-game. Similar story but for RAM, Minecraft loves it's RAM as most people will know, lmao, but yeah anyway, please bear this in mind when picking a CPU !! 😅 Oh and speaking of RAM, 32GB with good speed(s) is a must-have. No particular reason, it's just really nice to have as opposed to 16GB.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

• A1) I have a power supply that appears to be in good condition which is a MSI MPG A750GF 750W 80+ Gold Certified / Fully Modular Power Supply. Note: It has not been used before, I did try using it with some old components but the other components were at fault, not the PSU, I RMA'd the unit a couple times, they said it's fine on their end sooo uhhh.... no PSU will be needed I guess, so yay.
  • A2) I also have a Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler which has been lying on My shelf (Out of the box) for a while, which has not been used in a system/rig previously so bear this in mind, no new CPU cooler is needed so yay for that too.
  • A3) A 2TB Main Storage Drive (M.2) is a must-have, anything below 2TB for the main drive (Windows install etc..) isn't gonna do it for Me sadly 😕 (Sorry), however, I will be buying 3.5" or 2.5" drives later in the year for Steam games, etc, etc, etc..
  • B) I won't be needing any peripherals (KB/Mouse/Headphones/etc..). Definitely not monitors, I already have 4 (Don't ask why, I just tend to have a lot of windows open at a time).
  • C) See image below, these are My current specs.
  • D) Something to note about the case: If I decide to use My current case, then ignore what I'm about to say, but if You choose a new one whilst staying in budget, please don't choose one which has tempered glass, I know acrylic is not so commonly used nowadays but tempered glass I really don't like, so umm..... yeah 🤷‍♂️

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.b6bf2f6d786ef03cb340a3ae9e1d8c15.png

Hi all, I need some advice and/or a second opinion before I click that Purchase button and empty My wallet 😆

I've had this PC (See above) for about..., 5-7(+?) years and it's been having issues recently, see linked LTT post above for more details, and, well, I think it's time for a long overdue upgrade, haha, let Me care to explain why. So umm, I keep getting random intermittent BSODs with this PC and have been for quite some time now, I don't know why, I've tried literally everything I can think of in the book, I've tried contacting local PC Repair places to ask for advice and yet, I still get the same result to this day and, well, that's why I'm here to get some advice. I have a £700-£900 (GBP) budget as originally mentioned, I'm going to use some parts from My existing PC like My case, case-fans and maaaaaybe the GPU for the time being, I also have a "ready-to-use" PSU, read above for more details.

Now, I'm not sure what I should be aiming towards with My budget, whether I should swap to Intel's latest series or stick with AMD's Ryzen series as far as the CPU goes, that's pretty much the only... obstacle, so to speak. Thoughts? 🤔

I've been trying to come up with ideas for both AMD (Ryzen) and Intel and here's what I have so far:

This is My Ryzen based list/option that I've come up with so far: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NFk3kJ (Yes I know the motherboard is overkill/pricey but that's ok (For Me anyway)), is it Good? Bad? Okay? Could it be better?

And this is My Intel based list/option: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/L8JDN6 Good? Bad? Okay? Could it be better?

Both of these are probably wrong and/or unbalanced completely (lol) but yeah, if anyone could give Me some advice / give Me a PCPP list, that'd be great!

Thanks guys ❤️

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

does minecraft actually take advantage of that extra cache or no? cause if it does you can just drop in a 5700x3d on your current board

if minecraft doesnt use the cache get a 7500f 7700 or 7900 instead, should be able to get allcore around 5.5ghz and with pbo singlecore probably somewhere around 5.7-5.8ghz that whilst that x3d is stuck to ~5ghz allcore without a board that has an eclk gen like the b650e taichi (lite) and even with an eclk board the insulating cache and ihs make oc headroom non existent

ill just let anyone else that has oced ryzen 7000 pitch in here cause i have no clue on ocing with pbo, just old school static oc

as for the list

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mWv7qR

cut down on the board as its a waste of money, hdv is still stupid overkill considering the vrms will still handle an overclocked 7950x and 10000+ ddr5 capability, usb ports wise theres still 14 of em with 6 rear and 8 internal (headers) + 2usbc

32gb -> 64gb of ram just incase you run even more mods or you wanna crank the render distance or something then you wont be hitting ram limit, also slightly tighter timings so hopefully 10000+ capable hynix a die (which teamgroup also uses in their 5600c46 kits) and not whatever garbage samsung ic on that 6000c36 corsair that wont even clock past 7000, so no need to replace ram if a future cpu requires faster ram

cut cost on ssd and it should be faster too since the 980 pro is pretty damn outdated, beaten by cheaper faster options and obviously the 990 pro aswell but thats even more overpriced

10 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

does minecraft actually take advantage of that extra cache or no?

The... CPU's 'extra cache' ..? You mean as in, L1/L2/L3 etc? I'm gonna say probably not, I think it purely relies on Single core clock speeds but I'm not 100% sure.

I should have also mentioned this originally and I do apologize but I don't plan to do any overclocking at all, I'll do the XMP Profile for the RAM but that's about it, not the CPU or GPU, sorry for the confusion and to others who are reading this.

64gb of ram just incase you run even more mods

At the moment I'm using approximately 230 mods, most modpacks tend to have, I'd say, 200-300+. In saying that, I'm not sure if 64GB would be a bit overkill/excessive, the TeamGroup DDR5-6,000 64GB Kit You linked is good value for it's price I will admit that.

cut cost on ssd and it should be faster too since the 980 pro is pretty damn outdated, beaten by cheaper faster options and obviously the 990 pro aswell but thats even more overpriced

To be honest with ya, I'm not 100% sure what the best branded SSDs/NVMe Drives are nowadays, I just need a good 4.0 or 5.0 drive (2TB/M.2) with a good heatsink because I think part of the reason why I'm getting these BSODs is because of the heat, maybe 🤷‍♂️ It's not normally that hot in My room, but yeah anyway, I'm hoping to get a drive with a heatsink this time around.

Posted (edited)

Just out of curiosity,

Would there be enough room to downgrade on say.. the CPU and RAM (64GB>32GB) in terms of pricing and include a GPU? And stay within budget?

Or would I be better off using My GTX 1080 for the time being and sticking with the 7800X3D ?

Edited by Xiauj

50 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Just out of curiosity,

Would there be enough room to downgrade on say.. the CPU and RAM (64GB>32GB) in terms of pricing and include a GPU?

tried my best-

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/TjbYz6

i know its overbudget but the rx6800 is a beast, only 9-10% slower than the 3090TI (or the 3090).

these should be helpful-

How to set up a PC, the last guide you'll ever need! (youtube.com)

How to build a PC, the last guide you'll ever need! (youtube.com) (these are different vids)

What to do AFTER you build your PC... Updated for 2023 (youtube.com)

Guide: What to do AFTER building your computer... (youtube.com)

50 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Or would I be better off using My GTX 1080 for the time being and sticking with the 7800X3D ?

no, that's a terrible combo, the 7800X3D is a OP CPU paired with a almost flagship pascal GPU? 

55 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

The... CPU's 'extra cache' ..? You mean as in, L1/L2/L3 etc? I'm gonna say probably not, I think it purely relies on Single core clock speeds but I'm not 100% sure.

it only cares if you are doing stuff like EOL farm (not sure that exists in 1.12), light update suppression, (active) block update suppression, etc.  Also, Minecraft uses 4 threads, not 1.

55 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

At the moment I'm using approximately 230 mods

why? just why? i understand up to 150 but that much? also, if you plan to pic my build, make sure you don't have any Nvidia specific mods.

12 minutes ago, planetary problem said:

no, that's a terrible combo, the 7800X3D is a OP CPU paired with a almost flagship pascal GPU? 

I meant temporarily use My GTX 1080 with the new components then buy an RTX GPU later in the year.

14 minutes ago, planetary problem said:

it only cares if you are doing stuff like EOL farm (not sure that exists in 1.12)

No idea what an "EOL farm" is 🤷‍♂️ So I can't comment on this.

14 minutes ago, planetary problem said:

why? just why? i understand up to 150 but that much?

Because I want to?? 😶 

230 is not that overkill. Yeah okay sure it depends on the type of mods I fully understand and acknowledge that but, there are modpacks out there with 200-300+ mods... have a look at FTB Packs, Custom packs, etc..

If You're familiar with some (/most) of the mods that people tend to use a lot, then I can happily list some and that might give You a better idea/understanding.

15 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

-

3 hours ago, planetary problem said:

-

Hello again guys 😄

So, I've come up with some new PCPP Lists, any chance I could get some input on them?

Ryzen #1: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/vK2CVW

Ryzen #2: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/KvChJy

-

Intel #1: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/YFHgmD

Intel #2: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/qGVzgB

A) I know that Ryzen #1 is over budget (/What I originally said, which was 900 ish) but that's okay.

B) Yes I know about the motherboards, they are 100% overkill (...again) but, I like them in terms of their features/appearance/etc.., so... 🤷‍♂️

C) IF I were to buy the Intel list/build (Above), would the Intel 12600KF CPU or 13600K CPU really be enough as opposed to the 7800X3D or 7600X?? .....or not really?

(Btw, I forgot to mention this above but I heavily prefer NVIDIA over AMD in terms of GPUs, sorry :3)

So uhh, do any of the aforementioned lists seem a bit more good/balanced this time? 🙂

Let Me know, please & thanks ❤️

1 hour ago, Xiauj said:

again that corsair ram is high cl ram thatll come with some trash samsung ic that wont clock past 7000 so youll have to swap rams early if a new cpu needs faster ram, just buy 6000c32 or 6400c32

board is a straight up downgrade or a sidegrade at best, the msi b650 gaming plus wifi is 10£ cheaper but its a much better board with 9 total usb3 + 4 usb2 instead of 4 usb3 + 12 usb2 on the eagle or 6 usb3 + 8 usb2 on the hdv, i assume you wont be maxing all those ports out so might aswell get faster ports, so yeah get the b650 gaming plus wifi instead since its better and cheaper

also the 4060 is trash please dont buy that thing, get yourself a used 6800xt instead for around the same price used which will obliterate that 4060

basically the 4060 is a worse performing rtx 3060ti whilst the 6800xt equivalent to a 4070 which is basically an rtx 3080, if you want a real upgrade this or a used 3080 is what you shouls buy and not a 4060, otherwise go for that 7900 + 64gb of ram and buy a new 4070 later at ~500£ cause the 4060 is trash for its 300£ price

atleast the 4070 draws alot less power than the 3080 and comes with 2gb of extra vram, you wont even be able to get a much better used gpu at its pricepoint since the best you can do at ~5000£ would be a used 3080ti or 6950xt which arent gonna be that much better whilst drawing alot more power

either you buy a used 6800xt/3080 now or go for a 7900 with 64gb of ram then buy a new 4070 later on cause the 4060 will only be a slight upgrade about 20% over a 3060 (which seems to outperform a 1080 by around 20%) whilst a used 6800xt/3080 or a new 4070 will be a night and day difference at around 60-80% uplift over the 4060 so doubling of fps might be what you see in some games over your current 1080 while the 4060 can only dream of even 1.5x the framerate over the 1080