Help building a CCTV system 

I need help planning to build a DIY Offline CCTV Surveillance System. 3 cameras, 1080p, 100% wired and offline (no IP cameras or wireless ones!), waterproof for outdoor use, and a decent amount of storage, but no more than 2tb. It will only be used for emergency purposes, so not running 24/7, only when turned on. If one of the cameras could be PTZ (pan-tilt-zoom) that would be nice. 

I'd like to build it custom, and I don't want to use a premade system you'd find on Amazon. 

If I build a budget PC (i3-12100, integrated graphics - or maybe I can reuse an old office PC) then what cameras will I need that will connect to the PC? I'd like them to be PoE or Coaxial, how can I connect that to a PC? And what software will I need to simultaneously view all the cameras?

I understand if using a system similar to this would be easier, cheaper, and better, but I'm up for a fun challenge.

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

3 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

no IP cameras or wireless ones!

Why not wired IP cameras? You could use Blue Iris, ZoneMinder, or Frigate as the NVR. Set up a separate switch and throw a second NIC into the NVR PC, and those cameras won't have access to the Internet.

Then you could pick any Amcrest or Axis PoE camera you want.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Just now, Needfuldoer said:

Why not wired IP cameras? You could use Blue Iris, ZoneMinder, or Frigate as the NVR. Set up a separate switch and throw a second NIC into the NVR PC, and those cameras won't have access to the Internet.

Then you could pick any Amcrest or Axis camera you wanted.

will I need internet to access the camera feed from a monitor directly attached to the PC? 

As long as there's no wifi involved then sure that would work. 

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

Just now, PowerPCFan said:

will I need internet to access the camera feed from a monitor directly attached to the PC? 

Nope.

You wouldn't even need to connect that PC to an Internet-connected network if all you're doing is looking at its monitor output.

9 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Nope.

You wouldn't even need to connect that PC to an Internet-connected network if all you're doing is looking at its monitor output.

Sounds great, what equipment would I need for this? Assume I already have a PC with the ports you usually see on a PC - 1 Ethernet port, 4 USB ports, headphone jack, HDMI/DisplayPort out

Edit: really what I mean is just recommendations for all the necessary equipment - small monitors, NIC cards, software, cameras, cables, etc

your logic seems flawed..

16 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

no IP cameras

contradicts with:

16 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

I'd like them to be PoE

having that said, the way to do this is essentially the following:

- you build your 'CCTV control system' computer, and build it with at least two LAN ports: one for the actual network, and the other for a 'walled garden' CCTV network.

- you get some basic gigabit networking switch that has PoE of the appropriate standard.

- you get some PoE IP cameras that support some form of LAN mode

fact of the matter is that once you're at more than a few meters of cable length video signals become very complicated, IP cameras have gotten cheap, and ethernet is just very good long distance.

because of this, past the ultra-basic "standard-definiton composite camera" everything is IP camera based.

as for some actual suggestions...

for the software, a quick google shows these as potentially interesting options. all of which also do motion detection for recordings to save disk space:

https://github.com/ZoneMinder/ZoneMinder

https://github.com/scottlamb/moonfire-nvr

https://github.com/blakeblackshear/frigate

for networking, just grab whatever 8-port PoE+ switch, i've been using a linksys smart switch for some 5-ish years.

As for which cameras.. that's a mess.. it depends on local availability, budget, just how "tinkering" you want to go with LAN access, ... the "compatible cameras" list of your software of choice is a good place to start.

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

having that said, the way to do this is essentially the following:

- you build your 'CCTV control system' computer, and build it with at least two LAN ports: one for the actual network, and the other for a 'walled garden' CCTV network.

What do you mean by "network"? I know you said LAN, but I won't have Wi-Fi and/or Ethernet access where I'm installing this system. 

Wouldn't I just need ports to connect cameras to the PC? because I'm not viewing the footage over the internet - just on a monitor directly connected to the PC. 

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

- you get some basic gigabit networking switch that has PoE of the appropriate standard.

- you get some PoE IP cameras that support some form of LAN mode

fact of the matter is that once you're at more than a few meters of cable length video signals become very complicated, IP cameras have gotten cheap, and ethernet is just very good long distance.

because of this, past the ultra-basic "standard-definiton composite camera" everything is IP camera based.

as for some actual suggestions...

for the software, a quick google shows these as potentially interesting options. all of which also do motion detection for recordings to save disk space:

https://github.com/ZoneMinder/ZoneMinder

https://github.com/scottlamb/moonfire-nvr

https://github.com/blakeblackshear/frigate

for networking, just grab whatever 8-port PoE+ switch, i've been using a linksys smart switch for some 5-ish years.

As for which cameras.. that's a mess.. it depends on local availability, budget, just how "tinkering" you want to go with LAN access, ... the "compatible cameras" list of your software of choice is a good place to start.

Ok. Don't really know much about this at all, it's more of a learning experience for me, maybe explain this a bit more please? 

What do you mean by "network"? I know you said LAN, but I won't have Wi-Fi and/or Ethernet access where I'm installing this system. 

Wouldn't I just need ports to connect cameras to the PC? because I'm not viewing the footage over the internet - just on a monitor directly connected to the PC. 

i presumed you'd want the main system to have some sort of internet access capability.. but if that's unnecessary then you can just scratch that bit and just have one lan port serve for the walled garden network.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i presumed you'd want the main system to have some sort of internet access capability.. but if that's unnecessary then you can just scratch that bit and just have one lan port serve for the walled garden network.

What PCIe card do I need to add a LAN port to this "imaginary PC that doesn't exist yet"? And how do I connect cameras? What switches and other equipment do I need? I don't have to use a DVR or anything, and I can record footage from the cameras directly on the PC, right? 

1 minute ago, PowerPCFan said:

What PCIe card do I need to add a LAN port to this "imaginary PC that doesn't exist yet"?

if you dont plan to have this thing connected to the internet, just use the on-board lan port.

What switches and other equipment do I need?

16 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i use this one in particular, but any PoE+ switch will do: https://www.linksys.com/lgs308p-8-port-business-smart-gigabit-poe-switch/LGS308P.html (unless you get passive PoE cameras with a suitable passive PoE switch.. but that again depends on the cameras)

4 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

And how do I connect cameras?

with network cables.

5 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

I don't have to use a DVR or anything, and I can record footage from the cameras directly on the PC, right? 

all 3 of the softwares i've linked are made for automatically recording based on movement, so once set up it theoretically starts recording immediately as soon as it sees a 'configurable amount of movement'. the software connects to the cameras over the 'walled garden' network, and decides to record or not record based on variables you set.

8 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if you dont plan to have this thing connected to the internet, just use the on-board lan port.

i use this one in particular, but any PoE+ switch will do: https://www.linksys.com/lgs308p-8-port-business-smart-gigabit-poe-switch/LGS308P.html (unless you get passive PoE cameras with a suitable passive PoE switch.. but that again depends on the cameras)

with network cables.

all 3 of the softwares i've linked are made for automatically recording based on movement, so once set up it theoretically starts recording immediately as soon as it sees a 'configurable amount of movement'. the software connects to the cameras over the 'walled garden' network, and decides to record or not record based on variables you set.

LAN Port = Ethernet Port? 

Would a cheap 3 or 4 port PoE switch from amazon work? Edit: like this https://a.co/d/hbUvUZq

Just normal ethernet cables? Are there special PoE cables? 

Can I set those software(s) to either not record at all, or record everything 24/7? (basically just toggle recording on/off) 

@manikyathWhat benefits would internet access provide? I might be able to get a slight internet connection from my house, definitely no Ethernet though.

Would a cheap 3 or 4 port PoE switch from amazon work? 

cheap and 4 port already sounds iffy.. make sure the standard of PoE it offers matches whatever the cameras you get will use, beyond that just about anything will work.

Just normal ethernet cables? Are there special PoE cables? 

just dont buy bottom-of-the-barrel junk. generally the "ribbon style" cables should be avoided, but acceptable CAT6 cables have become very cheap so there's no reason not to.

3 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

Can I set those software(s) to either not record at all, or record everything 24/7? (basically just toggle recording on/off) 

i presume so, but why? the idea behind the software is that it skips over "static image" for you, so if you play trough all recorded clips in order you get everything that happened, just with the "dead space" cut out. you can make them super sensitive so just about any movement will trigger it if you want to make sure nothing will be missed. the days of "recording a full tape each day" are long behind us.

What benefits would internet access provide? I might be able to get a slight internet connection from my house, definitely no Ethernet though.

being able to update your software, retrieving video over the network (for evidence, or for remote monitoring), and writing backups to a remote location are the primary things that come to mind. it was more a presumption on my end that you'd want to do these things, but it's in no way a necessity if you prefer this to be a self-contained thing.

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

cheap and 4 port already sounds iffy.. make sure the standard of PoE it offers matches whatever the cameras you get will use, beyond that just about anything will work.

just dont buy bottom-of-the-barrel junk. generally the "ribbon style" cables should be avoided, but acceptable CAT6 cables have become very cheap so there's no reason not to.

i presume so, but why? the idea behind the software is that it skips over "static image" for you, so if you play trough all recorded clips in order you get everything that happened, just with the "dead space" cut out. you can make them super sensitive so just about any movement will trigger it if you want to make sure nothing will be missed. the days of "recording a full tape each day" are long behind us.

being able to update your software, retrieving video over the network (for evidence, or for remote monitoring), and writing backups to a remote location are the primary things that come to mind. it was more a presumption on my end that you'd want to do these things, but it's in no way a necessity if you prefer this to be a self-contained thing.

Ok, I'll take note of all this info!

Is a drive like this good? https://a.co/d/heQtQ0G 

Or am I better off with a WD Blue or something - more expensive but faster? Probably not, because for CCTV and surveillance, capacity over speed right? 

According to this guide, if I were to add an Amcrest camera to Blue Iris, I'd need a Network IP - doesn't this mean that I'd need it to be Wi-Fi connected? I'd really like my setup to not have WiFI. 

https://support.amcrest.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034354471-How-to-Add-a-Camera-Into-Blue-Iris

3 minutes ago, NikolakiH said:

I've had a good experience so far with Amcrest cameras and a Tenda POE switch for my camera setup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BVD828SB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

That's what I'd probably use. 

Wifi/LAN and the internet are two different things. With this setup you would be creating a local area network, or LAN. As long as you don't plug into an internet connected router, you won't be using the internet.

Edit: And to add to that, since you won't be using a router, you will have to manually set the IP addresses of your computer and cameras yourself. It's not difficult to do, and you can just do something simple like set the computer as 192.168.1.1 and the cameras as 192.168.1.2-4

Edited by NikolakiH

41 minutes ago, NikolakiH said:

Wifi/LAN and the internet are two different things. With this setup you would be creating a local area network, or LAN. As long as you don't plug into an internet connected router, you won't be using the internet.

Will I need a router to create this LAN? Or can I just connect the cameras, the PC, and the switch together and that will work? 

41 minutes ago, NikolakiH said:

And to add to that, since you won't be using a router, you will have to manually set the IP addresses of your computer and cameras yourself. It's not difficult to do, and you can just do something simple like set the computer as 192.168.1.1 and the cameras as 192.168.1.2-4

Edit: @NikolakiH @manikyathhow would I do that? how can the devices have their own IP when there's no router? does the PC act as the router somehow? I'm pretty bad at networking stuff, sorry if this is a dumb question

Another edit: Do I have to make the PC a DHCP server? Just read that online

I do have an old router I could use, but it's an Apple Airport router and I doubt it will play nicely with a WINDOWS PC...

You seem to be getting yourself confused over terminology. 

In this case, "LAN", "Network", "WiFi", "Ethernet", etc all mean the same thing. A computer and a bunch of cameras connected to a network.

You can have a network without an Internet connection. You can have a wired-only network without WiFi. You can have WiFi without an Internet connection.

PoE means Power Over Ethernet. It doesn't take any special cabling; in fact the whole point of PoE is that you don't need special cabling to run PoE devices.

51 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

how can the devices have their own IP when there's no router? does the PC act as the router somehow? I'm pretty bad at networking stuff, sorry if this is a dumb question

You can set a static IP address on the PC and on each camera. Since you're not connecting this to the Internet, you don't need a router.

5 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

You seem to be getting yourself confused over terminology. 

That's exactly what's happening. 🙂

5 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

In this case, "LAN", "Network", "WiFi", "Ethernet", etc all mean the same thing. A computer and a bunch of cameras connected to a network.

You can have a network without an Internet connection. You can have a wired-only network without WiFi. You can have WiFi without an Internet connection.

PoE means Power Over Ethernet. It doesn't take any special cabling; in fact the whole point of PoE is that you don't need special cabling to run PoE devices.

You can set a static IP address on the PC and on each camera. Since you're not connecting this to the Internet, you don't need a router.

I think I get it now - thanks! How can I go on the cameras and change the IP, once I have them? 

7 hours ago, PowerPCFan said:

I think I get it now - thanks! How can I go on the cameras and change the IP, once I have them? 

When you first get the cameras, you'll want to plug them in one at a time and change the default password and IP address, since they will all be the same. Once you get past the initial configuration and start looking through the settings, they will have a menu that looks something like this.

Screenshot2024-03-13at03-12-09Setup.png.b8d4a89e8f83476128d02f6ebd8c844b.png

You only really need to worry about 3 of these fields: IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Mode. Everything else is unnecessary in your case.

• Mode: You'll set the mode to "static" since you aren't using a DHCP server
  • IP Address: You can set the IP Address of each camera as 192.168.1.X (X being a number between 1 and 254). So your first camera can be 192.168.1.1, your second camera can be 192.168.1.2, your third camera can be 192.168.1.3, and your PC can be 192.168.1.4. If you have more or less cameras, just follow the pattern and put your PC at the end of the list. It'll be easier to remember that camera 1 ends with a 1, camera 2 ends with a 2, and so on. 
  • Subnet Mask: Just set the Subnet Mask to "255.255.255.0"

2 hours ago, NikolakiH said:

When you first get the cameras, you'll want to plug them in one at a time and change the default password and IP address, since they will all be the same. Once you get past the initial configuration and start looking through the settings, they will have a menu that looks something like this.

You only really need to worry about 3 of these fields: IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Mode. Everything else is unnecessary in your case.

• IP Address: You can set the IP Address of each camera as 192.168.1.X (X being a number between 1 and 254). So your first camera can be 192.168.1.1, your second camera can be 192.168.1.2, your third camera can be 192.168.1.3, and your PC can be 192.168.1.4. If you have more or less cameras, just follow the pattern and put your PC at the end of the list. It'll be easier to remember that camera 1 ends with a 1, camera 2 ends with a 2, and so on. 

Thank you so much! 

2 hours ago, NikolakiH said:

How would I change the PC's IP address? Like this article says to do it? How-To Geek | How to Assign a Static IP Address in Windows