SF600, RTX 2080, H115i ICUE and not enough 8 pin PCIE ports!

Bradders
Go to solution Solved by GuiltySpark_,

If you'd like to buy Corsair, this is a dual output (2x 8-pin) Type 4 cable (compatible with your SF series PSU).

https://a.co/d/aCYu7Z8 

Hi all. I’ve recently upgraded my personal rig from a 1660ti to a 2080 that I got second hand on eBay. Along with the upgrade I treated myself to a new cpu cooler (H115i icue link) and a new case (malicious). 

I ran all the parts through pcpart picker and checked everything online and it all seemed fine. The issue ive come across is that my PSU (SF600) only has two PCIE ports. The H115 takes one and the 2080 wants two. I’ve seen you can get a dual PCIE cable for the 2080. But I can’t seem to find one from a reputable manufacturer (mostly Chinese brands on Amazon etc).

The way I see it, I have two options. 
1) use a dual PCIE (recommendations welcome) 

2) sell my SF600 for ~£100 and buy a SF850L new (£150).

Is it alright to use a dual PCIE? Does anyone have a link to a good one I could purchase. 

Edited by Bradders

- SSUPD Meshlicous - Z170I - i7-6700K - Gigabyte 2080 - 16GB Corsair Vengance - 850 EVO 1TB - H115i ICUE Link- SF600

5 minutes ago, Bradders said:

my PSU (SF600) only has two PCIE ports

What do you mean by this? 2x 8-Pin PCIe connectors??

5 minutes ago, Bradders said:

The H115 takes one

If so, why does this need a PCIe connector?

Sorry yes. 2x 8 pin PCIE. I’ve seen you can get a 8 pin to dual 2+6 pin PCIE cable. Just not sure if they’re any good.

its the new h115i icue link. It plugs into a hub instead of the mobo for power and that controls all the fans etc. the hub is powered by from a 6 pin running into an 8 pin PCIE on the PSU.

Sorry it’s been ages since I last did a build due to work. Last time I opened up the PC and did any work on it was four years ago!

- SSUPD Meshlicous - Z170I - i7-6700K - Gigabyte 2080 - 16GB Corsair Vengance - 850 EVO 1TB - H115i ICUE Link- SF600

16 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

If you'd like to buy Corsair, this is a dual output (2x 8-pin) Type 4 cable (compatible with your SF series PSU).

https://a.co/d/aCYu7Z8 

That’s perfect thanks so much! 

12 minutes ago, Bradders said:

Sorry yes. 2x 8 pin PCIE. I’ve seen you can get a 8 pin to dual 2+6 pin PCIE cable. Just not sure if they’re any good.

its the new h115i icue link. It plugs into a hub instead of the mobo for power and that controls all the fans etc. the hub is powered by from a 6 pin running into an 8 pin PCIE on the PSU.

Sorry it’s been ages since I last did a build due to work. Last time I opened up the PC and did any work on it was four years ago!

Newer power supplies that support daisy chained 8 pin cables are designed to support 300W through that single cable. They wouldn't otherwise daisy chain 8 pins off of it. Each 8 pin is 150W for context.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

honestly I would adapt two sata power to one six pin for the icue link. theres no way it needs an actual pcie port worth of power if you are only using one aio on it.
I assume its something that can power multiple coolers and fans and stuff for the whole system?

20 minutes ago, Bradders said:

that sounds absurd to me, why does it need so much power? Apologies for assuming you were incorrect.

1 minute ago, Blasty Blosty said:

that sounds absurd to me, why does it need so much power? Apologies for assuming you were incorrect.

Yeah does seem a bit Bizzare. It’s the new cooler with the daisy chained fans. I’m tempted to get a sata and see if I can run it off a single Sata. 

i can’t imagine it uses that much power.

34 minutes ago, Bradders said:

Using daisy chained PCIe cables from reputable brands is fine. They use MiniFit HCS terminals and 16AWG wires to the first connector. So Corsair's one is fine to use, even for 375W GPUs (with 300W through the cable). Be aware that some sketchier brands (notably Seasonic) cut corners by using regular MiniFit Jr. terminals and 18AWG wires to the first connector, meaning you should not use them for GPUs with a TDP above 225W.

:)

21 minutes ago, Bradders said:

Yeah does seem a bit Bizzare. It’s the new cooler with the daisy chained fans. I’m tempted to get a sata and see if I can run it off a single Sata. 

i can’t imagine it uses that much power.

If GPU's can run off the adapter (somewhat), I don't see why it wouldn't power the hub.