Can you get malware/virus/keylogger from opening youtube notification comment that shows screenshot of youtube video?

paulyron

I posted a few comments recently on a youtube video.  I noticed I got a notification and right clicked on it on the top right to open the comment in another window.  I never done this.  When I did this, a new chrome window opens and it is like a small thumbnail screenshot of the youtube video.  I assume most people know what I mean by this right?  I then closed the chrome window.  Now had I just left clicked on the comment by the user, from the notifications then it would display go to a new chrome page and display the full comment as normal?  On notifications, it showed a partial portion of the comment but I didn't want to click on it in case there was malware.  I don't know how it works but I assume that is how it is?  I rarely post comments on youtube but recently did that and got a reply back to my comment.  The reason why I right clicked to open it was because I thought it would be safer that way for some reason but instead a chrome window opened where there is that what I mention above.  I know I could have manually went straight to that video and then look for my comment and click on the view reply but didn't do that.  I

Now when I check my chrome history and highlight that chrome window that opened... it shows the website like this blow and I'm going to type it with a space in between the ytimg and the .com... otherwise it would show like a youtube link/logo like in the picture below what I just posted.

https://i.ytimg .com/xxx/xxxxxx/hqdefault.jpg

xxxxxx.jpg

Is there any concern of malware/virus/keylogger or anything like that on my laptop?  When I go to my chrome history and put my mouse on that website link.... it would show hqdefault.jpg.  

I assume there is no concern about this?  I did go to my youtube comment I made and checked the person who replied to my youtube comment on the youtube video and they didn't post any link or anything like that on their reply... just a regular reply back.  The i.ytimg thing isn't a big thing right and it's related to youtube?  I used kaspersky total and scanned my computer and it found nothing.  

Now if say I clicked on a link from a reply to my comment on youtube by another user, that would be a concern right?  But if you have kaspersky total or any other anti virus, would that remove any malware you have?  What if you have only free windows defender?  I am using windows 11 pro.

16 minutes ago, paulyron said:

I posted a few comments recently on a youtube video.  I noticed I got a notification and right clicked on it on the top right to open the comment in another window.  I never done this.  When I did this, a new chrome window opens and it is like a small thumbnail screenshot of the youtube video.  I assume most people know what I mean by this right?  I then closed the chrome window.  Now had I just left clicked on the comment by the user, from the notifications then it would display go to a new chrome page and display the full comment as normal?  On notifications, it showed a partial portion of the comment but I didn't want to click on it in case there was malware.  I don't know how it works but I assume that is how it is?  I rarely post comments on youtube but recently did that and got a reply back to my comment.  The reason why I right clicked to open it was because I thought it would be safer that way for some reason but instead a chrome window opened where there is that what I mention above.  I know I could have manually went straight to that video and then look for my comment and click on the view reply but didn't do that.  I

Now when I check my chrome history and highlight that chrome window that opened... it shows the website like this blow and I'm going to type it with a space in between the ytimg and the .com... otherwise it would show like a youtube link/logo like in the picture below what I just posted.

https://i.ytimg .com/xxx/xxxxxx/hqdefault.jpg

xxxxxx.jpg

Is there any concern of malware/virus/keylogger or anything like that on my laptop?  When I go to my chrome history and put my mouse on that website link.... it would show hqdefault.jpg.  

I assume there is no concern about this?  I did go to my youtube comment I made and checked the person who replied to my youtube comment on the youtube video and they didn't post any link or anything like that on their reply... just a regular reply back.  The i.ytimg thing isn't a big thing right and it's related to youtube?  I used kaspersky total and scanned my computer and it found nothing.  

Now if say I clicked on a link from a reply to my comment on youtube by another user, that would be a concern right?  But if you have kaspersky total or any other anti virus, would that remove any malware you have?  What if you have only free windows defender?  I am using windows 11 pro.

Given what you describe in your post, the "ytimg.com" and "hqdefault.jpg" file are related to YouTube Video Thumbnail images.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2068344/how-do-i-get-a-youtube-video-thumbnail-from-the-youtube-api

Without being able to see exactly what you clicked on (either in a video recording, or an exact step-by-step explanation) I'd merely be guessing how you managed to open whatever website you did within Chrome, but if you didn't download anything and keep your browser updated, you're likely safe.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

If you're super paranoid about this stuff, Malwarebytes is your friend.

Just grab the trial, turn the scanner layers such as "search for rootkits" on and roll a scan...

it uses a huge database along with AI algo mumbo jumbo, pretty nifty piece of software, if I had to say be...