ROG Strix LC III 360 Liquid cooling hose direction

Orodruin

Hello everyone,

I purchased and installed an Asus Rog Strix Lc III 360 liquid cooling for my new system.

I mounted the radiator on the top of the case correctly. However, in the installation manual, it is stated that we recommend that the pump hose inlet be next to the rams.

However, I mounted the hose outlet from the pump at the bottom. Because it gets too close to the RAM and the space is narrow.

I want to ask if this situation poses a problem? 

20240310_120624.jpg

AMD RYZEN 9 7900X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-E GAMING WIFI | ASUS ROG STRIX LC III 360 ARGB | G.SKILL TridentZ5 NEO RGB 2X24GB 6400Mhz CL32 | ASUS TUF Radeon RX 7800XT | Asus ROG Strix SCOPE | Asus ROG GLADIUS II CORE | XPG SX8200PRO 2x2TB nVME | XPG SX8100 2x2TB nVME | Corsair RM1000x Shift 80+ Gold | Corsair 5000D Case

On 3/10/2024 at 5:15 AM, Orodruin said:

Hello everyone,

I purchased and installed an Asus Rog Strix Lc III 360 liquid cooling for my new system.

I mounted the radiator on the top of the case correctly. However, in the installation manual, it is stated that we recommend that the pump hose inlet be next to the rams.

However, I mounted the hose outlet from the pump at the bottom. Because it gets too close to the RAM and the space is narrow.

I want to ask if this situation poses a problem? 

20240310_120607.jpg

20240310_120624.jpg

Yes. Air can accumulate in the block. That's not good, even if the pump weren't in there. It will drastically reduce the life of the unit.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

21 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Yes. Air can accumulate in the block. That's not good, even if the pump weren't in there. It will drastically reduce the life of the unit.

What exactly do you mean in the block? Will air accumulate in the pump or in the radiator?

AMD RYZEN 9 7900X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-E GAMING WIFI | ASUS ROG STRIX LC III 360 ARGB | G.SKILL TridentZ5 NEO RGB 2X24GB 6400Mhz CL32 | ASUS TUF Radeon RX 7800XT | Asus ROG Strix SCOPE | Asus ROG GLADIUS II CORE | XPG SX8200PRO 2x2TB nVME | XPG SX8100 2x2TB nVME | Corsair RM1000x Shift 80+ Gold | Corsair 5000D Case

1 hour ago, Orodruin said:

What exactly do you mean in the block? Will air accumulate in the pump or in the radiator?

The block/housing that's attached to the CPU. Even if the pump weren't inside, eventually there might be enough air accumulated in it that it would no longer be able to keep the CPU cool because there would be little thermal dissipation directly into the water. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

18 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

The block/housing that's attached to the CPU. Even if the pump weren't inside, eventually there might be enough air accumulated in it that it would no longer be able to keep the CPU cool because there would be little thermal dissipation directly into the water. 

I understand now. But;

In the models I have shared below, the hose inlet is at the bottom. If this causes an air gap, why do they allow such a design?

61SQU4CXKTL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

ASUSROGRYJINII360AIOLiquidCooler-FromTPS

asus-tuf-gaming-lc-ii-360-argb-360-mm-is

I can't tell with the other 2, but I think the first is an LS/LT720. The third has the pump on the tubes, eliminating the risk of a dry pump.  Are any of those blocks rotatable before or after installation? If not...

Either they are idiots or they do it deliberately to encourage people to mount it in a way that will shorten its life. Just my opinion! 😜