How do I reuse nvme ssd for storage only (once used as boot device)?

Go to solution Solved by Nuzicx,

Get yourself a "nvme enclosure" like this https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0CKVK1FYG/

It will save yourself some time if copying a large amount of data, only have a few gigs than a usb thumb drive will do.

As for after the copy. Use gparted: delete all partitions, create a new partition using all available space, create a new partition table

https://gparted.org/display-doc.php%3Fname%3Dhelp-manual

Watching a youtube tutorial may be easier than reading the manual.

Use a tool like rufus to make a bootable usb stick of gparted.

disclaimer: this will delete your data, backup before proceeding

Hi, I just bought a new, gen 4 nvme ssd that I'm planning to use as my new boot device.

How do I make the old nvme ssd I currently use as the boot device to function as storage only?

What's the best way to do that without losing my data/what's a good way to move my files (not the win11 installation, just my regular files) to the new ssd?

For example, I have some games that does not support cloud saves, apart from just using an usb stick to move them over, is there a better way to back up this kind of files?

Thanks in advance for the help.

P.S. I'M ASKING THIS FOR A REASON (yeah crazy that I even have to say this)

Gen4 isn't going to be that much faster as your main drive.  

PCIE Gen 3-4 are all so bloody fast it literally doesn't matter to you on a daily basis.

The easiest way is to just use the new drive as storage and not redo the old drive.

Get yourself a "nvme enclosure" like this https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0CKVK1FYG/

It will save yourself some time if copying a large amount of data, only have a few gigs than a usb thumb drive will do.

As for after the copy. Use gparted: delete all partitions, create a new partition using all available space, create a new partition table

https://gparted.org/display-doc.php%3Fname%3Dhelp-manual

Watching a youtube tutorial may be easier than reading the manual.

Use a tool like rufus to make a bootable usb stick of gparted.

disclaimer: this will delete your data, backup before proceeding

The answer to PC cooling is aircon. RGB sucks. Have you tried turning it off and on again

Adv Dip Computer Engineering  |  CCNA  |  ITIL  |  macOS Support Essentials  |  Security + |  Internal Cabling License  |  SAA-C03  |  RHCSA (studying)

Level 2 Support full admin AD  |  IBM Server Build Technician  |  Various IT consulting work

The Hermit Build

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2024 at 6:37 AM, tkitch said:

Gen4 isn't going to be that much faster as your main drive.  

PCIE Gen 3-4 are all so bloody fast it literally doesn't matter to you on a daily basis.

The easiest way is to just use the new drive as storage and not redo the old drive.

Pointless comment, if someone asks for help on something, don't just assume what they're trying to achieve is stupid/pointless, they probably have their reasons. (I do!)

Just now, VitoLaRischia said:

Pointless comment, if someone asks for help on something, don't just assume what they're trying to achieve is stupid/pointless, they probably have their reasons.

no, they don't.

Drive manufs have been so successful at marketing "speed" that *everyone* thinks they need faster drives, when it /literally/ doesn't do anything for normal, or even most enthusiast work.

And the 1% of people who would actually notice the difference?  Know enough to know they actually need it.  

2 hours ago, tkitch said:

no, they don't.

Drive manufs have been so successful at marketing "speed" that *everyone* thinks they need faster drives, when it /literally/ doesn't do anything for normal, or even most enthusiast work.

And the 1% of people who would actually notice the difference?  Know enough to know they actually need it.  

You kinda agreed with me...

I said 

2 hours ago, VitoLaRischia said:

if someone asks for help on something, don't just assume what they're trying to achieve is stupid/pointless, they probably have their reasons.

So if I ask is because I have my reasons, don't just assume I'm incorrect or worse, dumb.

On 3/22/2024 at 9:50 AM, VitoLaRischia said:

You kinda agreed with me...

I said 

So if I ask is because I have my reasons, don't just assume I'm incorrect or worse, dumb.

Buit they responded to your OP which clearly states this:

"P.S. I'm pretty much a complete novice so go easy on me please",

so it wasn't really an assumption on their part, was it? Perhaps try to not be so smart with people when they try to assist. Because soon, maybe they won't.

Novice in THIS EXTREMELY SPECIFIC THING, I already made my decision, so why assume it was a bad one ignoring my question altogether?

"Perhaps try to not be so smart with people when they try to assist. Because soon, maybe they won't."

There's a very high chance I  might be the kindest person you'll ever meet, I just pointed out how mean it is to assume others' decisions are wrong.

If you ask for help, I'll try to help as much as possible without ever assuming you're automatically wrong.

P.S. I literally EXPLAINED that people (me included) will most likely have their good reasons, so why would he double down? He straight up said "no, they don't." how could you possibly agree with his behaviour?