Driver support on Linux is depressing?

11 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Quite a common trait for clever people I suspect, little tolerance for others.

it is called type A personality. many dictators have it, e.g. Stalin. this made them extremely efficient and great at what they do but at the same time also very ruthless. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I mean our boy Elon is worth like 200B he probably does not give two shits about having reason in doing anything(like buying twitter 🤣🤣🤣), imo hes pretty chill. The cybertruck is pretty damn clean looking. 

1 minute ago, wasab said:

at the same time also very ruthless. 

You can't have the best of both worlds...

39 minutes ago, goatedpenguin said:

You can't have the best of both worlds...

you can certainly have the best of the two worlds. these people act like assholes because they can. they are at the top of their industry and they get there by being simply brilliant even if their interpersonal skills are absolute garbage. people less talented do not have this luxury. it requires both interpersonal skills and at least somewhat decent talent to rise to the top for the regular people. 

Linus and steve are brilliant enough they can simply bulldoze and brute force their way through all opposition from the others, their assholtry are simply just temporary fictional drags that slow down whatever they are hoping to accomplish, not a complete road block. however, if they have good interpersonal and leadership skills on top of their brilliance, they wont be slow down in any shape or form at all. how you deal with others and manage politics is a lubricant that can help you push your agendas across and these complement well with your technical skills. Being an asshole is a drag on you however you look at it, won't stop you if you are truely talented but will certainly slow you down.

Their behaviors and conduct are not something you should be aspire by or emulate. i truly believe Apple will be an even greater company, perhaps multi-trillion instead of just a trillion, and that Linux kernel would be in a greater shape today if the two are less of an asshole. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I was talking about in terms of countries but agreed with what you said however, Apple is the definition of being an AssHole.

3 minutes ago, goatedpenguin said:

I was talking about in terms of countries but agreed with what you said however, Apple is the definition of being an AssHole.

i mean for linus torvalds specifically, being less an asshole at least means he wouldnt have to deal with this.

After Years of Abusive E-mails, the Creator of Linux Steps Aside | The New Yorker

like i said, these will drag/slow you down even if it wont end your career outright.  

Sudo make me a sandwich 

10 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I don't know about AMD, people rave about it having excellent GPU support on Linux but when I tried it on an APU I had issues, though mainly getting the compute drivers installed rather than normal 3D support.

It's not so much that AMD has great linux drivers but rather that at least their drivers are open source, as opposed to nvidia.

In my personal experience, intel iGPUs have worked the best on Linux.

9 hours ago, wasab said:

steve jobs, founder of apple is another well-known tech asshole for anyone who knows him well enough.

The difference being that while Torvalds is actually competent in the field, Jobs was not; his talents lay in marketing and business management, not in tech.

9 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Quite a common trait for clever people I suspect, little tolerance for others.

While Torvalds is known to have a temper, he can be reasoned with and has endeavored to make the kernel community more welcoming, as well as trying to be more polite in the mailing list.

10 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

How long have you been using linux for? I guess always is a short amount of time?

Well, we have the timestamp:

"always" seems to mean "less than a week".

On real hardware, where you might encounter legitimate driver problems, at most we're talking two days since here he was still in a VM:

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

@Sauron

I've tried Linux before. And for all the other people, yes, many mainstream hardware "works" but not having custom drivers feels incomplete.

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

41 minutes ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

having custom drivers feels incomplete.

Custom drivers? Do you mean the proprietary ones?

10 minutes ago, goatedpenguin said:

Custom drivers? Do you mean the proprietary ones?

what else

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

1 hour ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

what else

There are plenty of proprietary drivers for Linux, they just aren't listed in debian's repos because debian only offers foss packages by choice.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

what else

Its not called custom drivers there called proprietary drivers. I thought you meant by "customizing your own driver" lmao

its copied the above post for some reason, disregard this one.