Home iphone photo backup server

Hello, i really do not want to pay for 2tb icloud. I recently got an old pc, in which i put a 1tb and a 512gb HDD’s. I am planning to upgrade them later on though. The windows install is broken, so i opted for linux. I need to sync my iphones photos to it, with an app, preferably. I want to access them from outside my home wifi, as i will be deleting them from my phone later. Is there a no-subscription way of achieving this with some basic knowledge in coding, or without any?

1 hour ago, Jachymzak95 said:

Hello, i really do not want to pay for 2tb icloud. I recently got an old pc, in which i put a 1tb and a 512gb HDD’s. I am planning to upgrade them later on though. The windows install is broken, so i opted for linux. I need to sync my iphones photos to it, with an app, preferably. I want to access them from outside my home wifi, as i will be deleting them from my phone later. Is there a no-subscription way of achieving this with some basic knowledge in coding, or without any?

I would lookup either immich or nextcloud.

You can run those as a server on that machine and then sycn your iPhone to those. 

You can make it accessible over the internet or have your phone connect back over a VPN server. 

On 3/9/2024 at 5:18 PM, m9x3mos said:

I would lookup either immich or nextcloud.

You can run those as a server on that machine and then sycn your iPhone to those. 

You can make it accessible over the internet or have your phone connect back over a VPN server. 

Thank you. Nextcloud sounds nice. Should i use homedrive or truenas? Which is easier/are there any major downsides? 

Edit: I’ve read that homedrive has the port forwarding or just vpn-less access figured out, is that true with truenas or is it harder to access without a vpn?

46 minutes ago, Jachymzak95 said:

Thank you. Nextcloud sounds nice. Should i use homedrive or truenas? Which is easier/are there any major downsides? 

Edit: I’ve read that homedrive has the port forwarding or just vpn-less access figured out, is that true with truenas or is it harder to access without a vpn?

I personally haven't tried homedrive.

I use truenas though and have my router port forward to a vm that runs a reverse proxy for all my public sites. 

I also have it going through cloudflare for my domain which makes the public ip address not directly visible. 

1 minute ago, m9x3mos said:

I personally haven't tried homedrive.

I use truenas though and have my router port forward to a vm that runs a reverse proxy for all my public sites. 

I also have it going through cloudflare for my domain which makes the public ip address not directly visible. 

After a quick skim through their site, it looks like they are using a reverse proxy to make it so you don't have to do port forwarding. 

This might work fine for you with small files. Just note, the performance in upload and download will be limited as you are tunneling through their servers. 

1 hour ago, m9x3mos said:

After a quick skim through their site, it looks like they are using a reverse proxy to make it so you don't have to do port forwarding. 

This might work fine for you with small files. Just note, the performance in upload and download will be limited as you are tunneling through their servers. 

Can you point me to some tutorial for doing the port forwarding? I guess a VM is unnecessary if i have a dedicated system for this... I really want to go for truenas, im just scared of not being able to set it up properly

32 minutes ago, Jachymzak95 said:

Can you point me to some tutorial for doing the port forwarding? I guess a VM is unnecessary if i have a dedicated system for this... I really want to go for truenas, im just scared of not being able to set it up properly

Port forwarding is going to be specific for the router you are using. There should be documentation if you look up your router online.