ASUS TUF GAMING Vs EVGA SuperNova GT

Hello! I once again want to call upon the expertise of this most excellent forum. I'm thinking about upgrading my PSU. Mine is old and I believe underpowered and have been for quite some time.

I run:

AB350 Gigabyte motherboard

Ryzen 5 5600

32 gig of 3200hz RAM

Radeon RX 6950 XT XFX Merc 319

8TB of SSD storage or so

All standard clocks

Right now I have a Corsair 750 CX semi modular, 80 bronze, must be like 10 years old at this point. Their Art no CP-9020061-EU. Served me well, but I think it's time for an upgrade. 

There is like 2 options I'm looking at, I live in Sweden so prices are F:ed up so I'm open to other models too if you have any you vouch for but the pricing may be off for me.

ASUS TUF Gaming 1000W Gold PSU

Vs

EVGA SuperNova GT 1000W Gold PSU

Both are the same price at the moment at 1999 swedish krona or 195 US dollar. Both are on sale however historically the EVGA has been more expensive. However the EVGA only have 7 years of warrenty while ASUS TUF have 10 years.

Just now, UhreForFan said:

Both are on sale however historically the EVGA has been more expensive

they're OK but I'd get this (10 year warranty)

Cooler Master MWE Gold 1050 V2 ATX 3.0 Fully Modular Power Supply - 80 PLUS Gold 1050W PSU, Flat Black Wiring, 140mm FDB Fan, High Temperature Threshold : Amazon.se: Electronics

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Unless you plan on upgrading your PC to a waaayy newer cpu, mobo, ram shortly i dont see a reason for you to go as high as a 1000 watts, 850 should be plenty with a really good unit. I wouldnt get the CM MWE series since its entry level and not too great, you would be better served to go with the V series 850 which can run platinum efficiency, but not well enough for CM to give it that designation, so they made it a gold. If you dont like that unit, the next best would be a Superflower Leadex unit which are really solid units. Of course, either way, you can get whatever wattage you want.

With PSU's you want to get the best you can get cause that thing runs your whole rig and anything else you are hooking to your pc, so it HAS TO perform and do it well. Sometimes its worth it to step down a notch in wattage to get the much better rated unit. Its just not worth skimping on PSU's. When they have issues, they will cause all manner of headaches and insanity to go on with your pc.

3 hours ago, AI_Must_Di3 said:

Unless you plan on upgrading your PC to a waaayy newer cpu, mobo, ram shortly i dont see a reason for you to go as high as a 1000 watts, 850 should be plenty with a really good unit. I wouldn't get the CM MWE series since its entry level and not too great, you would be better served to go with the V series 850 which can run platinum efficiency, but not well enough for CM to give it that designation, so they made it a gold. If you don't like that unit, the next best would be a Superflower Leadex unit which are really solid units. Of course, either way, you can get whatever wattage you want.

With PSU's you want to get the best you can get cause that thing runs your whole rig and anything else you are hooking to your pc, so it HAS TO perform and do it well. Sometimes its worth it to step down a notch in wattage to get the much better rated unit. Its just not worth skimping on PSU's. When they have issues, they will cause all manner of headaches and insanity to go on with your pc.

Really? Because over time I was thinking to upgrade to a better GPU and CPU. Components seem to just take more power and power over time. Like when I bought this 750W PSU I have now it was on the upper end of what you needed. Plus isn't it the case that buying a PSU that has excess capacity makes it run more efficiently?

I think most retailer recommend me even now to have too low PSU with my GPU being recommended for 850W. 

Finally how do you quantitate that the CM MWE is bad or of poor quality? Considering I'm running my rig with a 10y/o bronze Corsair CX 750M just fine. A part of me don't even want to upgrade because if things work they work. However 10y/o seems like it's a bit too old....

If you are going to upgrade and goo to a high end rig thats eating more power than yeah def go bigger. Yes, its true that most psu's do work at their best and most efficient curve at the 50-70 % of their max rated wattage, while also giving you longer life since you arent pushing it to its peaks all the time and the extra room for high transient power bursts.

The CM MWE line is entry level....not bad,,and while not as bad as some entry level lines and the v2 is better than the v1 for sure, i would skip it cause this is the psu were talking about here and the better you go there the better everything behind it will function. The V line is their high end and theyre very nice units.

PSU's can easily last 10 years, so dont let that scare you. If they will warranty them that long then you know you are good. So you dont have to upgrade now but you were asking the question so i answered. Youll know when the CX unit is getting ready to go cause your rig will start doing flaky weird things for no reason when its super solid for months,, as long as you werent messing with something of course like bios, windows,overclocking etc... it will become more and more obvious. It may even start kicking current protections in for what seems like no reason, but thats usually a indication too.

On 3/8/2024 at 11:12 AM, AI_Must_Di3 said:

If you are going to upgrade and goo to a high end rig thats eating more power than yeah def go bigger. Yes, its true that most psu's do work at their best and most efficient curve at the 50-70 % of their max rated wattage, while also giving you longer life since you arent pushing it to its peaks all the time and the extra room for high transient power bursts.

The CM MWE line is entry level....not bad,,and while not as bad as some entry level lines and the v2 is better than the v1 for sure, i would skip it cause this is the psu were talking about here and the better you go there the better everything behind it will function. The V line is their high end and theyre very nice units.

PSU's can easily last 10 years, so dont let that scare you. If they will warranty them that long then you know you are good. So you dont have to upgrade now but you were asking the question so i answered. Youll know when the CX unit is getting ready to go cause your rig will start doing flaky weird things for no reason when its super solid for months,, as long as you werent messing with something of course like bios, windows,overclocking etc... it will become more and more obvious. It may even start kicking current protections in for what seems like no reason, but thats usually a indication too.

I do appreciate your tip and understand where you're coming from but I don't think it's a cost effective way to buy PSU. Your tip is probably super good for a solely/very high priority on quality focused advice and that's good too but not what I'm after. I'm sorry if I came of as rude. 

@UhreForFan Np, youre fine, i didnt think you were being rude and that certainly wasnt my intent either and do apologize if you thought so. Its hard to convey in words everything a in person chat gives you.

Ive been building/modding, destroying,repairing etc... PC's since the late 80's IBM's and have seen all kinds of good, bad and ugly. This is why i say with complete conviction that you DO NOT want to skimp or try and save money cutting corners on your PSU, cause it will come back to bite you....and the rest of your stuff. You have to have a sturdy foundation, which the PSU IS cause its bringing ALL the power into your rig and from there it goes to the mobo next, which is the next most important thing, but a different conversation.

In the end, its your money and you can jump off the cliff with it with a parachute or not, thats up to you. I WILL never tell anyone what to do, only what can happen either way. You fully and, hopefully, thoughtfully make that decision on your own. Good luck either way! 😉🤝