plex home server

Hi,

So i started ripping my own blurays today, to a plex server, i got everything up and running and got my mum to test it to make sure it worked and sure enough it did took me like 2hrs but know i got there in the end. This is my first time for everything so now i want to know how to make the quality of the streams the best they can be i am using my gaming PC to host the stream for when am away from home (can be weeks at a time) my pc has a 5800x and a 3080ti (founders) 32gb of ram in it and is running on ethernet so i should really only be limited by my internet speeds right? i am using mostly 1080p blurays but i have a handful of 4k's and i am using makeMKV for the ripping. so help me tech gods how do i get the best image quality i can!

thank you

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

6 minutes ago, CatXice said:

Hi,

So i started ripping my own blurays today, to a plex server, i got everything up and running and got my mum to test it to make sure it worked and sure enough it did took me like 2hrs but know i got there in the end. This is my first time for everything so now i want to know how to make the quality of the streams the best they can be i am using my gaming PC to host the stream for when am away from home (can be weeks at a time) my pc has a 5800x and a 3080ti (founders) 32gb of ram in it and is running on ethernet so i should really only be limited by my internet speeds right? i am using mostly 1080p blurays but i have a handful of 4k's and i am using makeMKV for the ripping. so help me tech gods how do i get the best image quality i can!

thank you

Good bitrate on the content, setting the quality in settings to be "original", and making sure your ISP connection speed is such that it'll handle the stream. 

44 minutes ago, CatXice said:

limited by my internet speeds right?

Specifically the upload speed. As DSL and Coax based internet are generally asymmetrical. The only symmetrical service is Fiber, and even then some providers dont offer symmetrical speeds.

45 minutes ago, CatXice said:

my pc has a 5800x and a 3080ti (founders) 32gb of ram

I use an i5 3570K, 16 gigs of DDR3 and Im able to have up to 3 streaming and a couple of transcodes going on the CPU with no issue. Nvidia is considered great for helping with the transcoding. So I dont see any issues. HOWEVER, if your media is in a format that what ever device your watching on supports, then you dont have to transcode, if you dont need trascoding then Plex can run on a potato.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

47 minutes ago, CatXice said:

Hi,

thank you

Handbrake over makeMKV

38 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Specifically the upload speed. As DSL and Coax based internet are generally asymmetrical. The only symmetrical service is Fiber, and even then some providers dont offer symmetrical speeds.

I use an i5 3570K, 16 gigs of DDR3 and Im able to have up to 3 streaming and a couple of transcodes going on the CPU with no issue. Nvidia is considered great for helping with the transcoding. So I dont see any issues. HOWEVER, if your media is in a format that what ever device your watching on supports, then you dont have to transcode, if you dont need trascoding then Plex can run on a potato.

You also need PlexPass to do GPU transcoding. Otherwise it's done on CPU.

48 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

Handbrake over makeMKV

Except they said they want the best quality.  Sure pre-transcoding can get better results, but then if you watch them locally its degraded compared to the raw rip that MakeMKV does.

You won't tell the difference on a phone, but you will on a decent laptop screen and especially on a TV.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

12 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Except they said they want the best quality.  Sure pre-transcoding can get better results, but then if you watch them locally its degraded compared to the raw rip that MakeMKV does.

You won't tell the difference on a phone, but you will on a decent laptop screen and especially on a TV.

I think this depends somewhat on the settings. Yes, technically it can be better but with the right settings even on a 4k monitor it should be indistinguishable from the raw version or darn close to it. 

On 3/6/2024 at 8:41 PM, BiotechBen said:

You also need PlexPass to do GPU transcoding. Otherwise it's done on CPU.

Direct Stream is a thing

1 minute ago, ZeusXI said:

Direct Stream is a thing

This is good while at home, but if you don't have good upload speeds you will have problems streaming that quality of content. 

1 minute ago, m9x3mos said:

This is good while at home, but if you don't have good upload speeds you will have problems streaming that quality of content. 

I mean, not exactly. I direct stream outside of home from how I converted my stuff. 1080p direct stream remote.

And I dont have the best uplink

3 minutes ago, m9x3mos said:

2.1 mbps for a 1080p movie. not even transcoding. Just direct remote.

1 minute ago, ZeusXI said:

2.1 mbps for a 1080p movie. not even transcoding. Just direct remote.

1080p with low bit rate will be fine. 

High bit rate 4k from Blu-ray not so much. That could be in excess of 20mbps.

Only recently have I been able I do above 10 with Comcast. 

2 minutes ago, m9x3mos said:

1080p with low bit rate will be fine. 

High bit rate 4k from Blu-ray not so much. That could be in excess of 20mbps.

Only recently have I been able I do above 10 with Comcast. 

No point remote streaming 4k if you are using a phone or a tablet due to the resolution. Also, you shouldn't be streaming if you are needing that bandwidth. Even on my 8 core 16 thread mini pc, cpu transcoding I can get 3x 4k streams to 1080p.

1 hour ago, ZeusXI said:

No point remote streaming 4k if you are using a phone or a tablet due to the resolution. Also, you shouldn't be streaming if you are needing that bandwidth. Even on my 8 core 16 thread mini pc, cpu transcoding I can get 3x 4k streams to 1080p.

On a phone you are right. He didn't say what too.

Plex pass will allow transcoding. 

46 minutes ago, m9x3mos said:

Even if its laptop. 1080p direct stream is fine. I don't personally see a point in a 4k screen for a laptop. 

41 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

Even if its laptop. 1080p direct stream is fine. I don't personally see a point in a 4k screen for a laptop. 

1 hour ago, m9x3mos said:

my in home streaming is wired up to 2.5g and 1g ethernet for for my home cinema thats currently 92" 1080p but next year i think i will upgrade to TCL's 98" 4k TV for that setup and my monitor on my desktop is the alienware QD-oled the g sync one (the one ploof has) but outside the home my mum has a normal like £400 4k tv and then i have my phone and my wifes phone my internet has a max upload of 19mb/s realistly am only going to ever have 1 outside the home steam at a time 

My Build

i5-7600k

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

corsair void rbg (wired)

2 hours ago, CatXice said:

my in home streaming is wired up to 2.5g and 1g ethernet for for my home cinema thats currently 92" 1080p but next year i think i will upgrade to TCL's 98" 4k TV for that setup and my monitor on my desktop is the alienware QD-oled the g sync one (the one ploof has) but outside the home my mum has a normal like £400 4k tv and then i have my phone and my wifes phone my internet has a max upload of 19mb/s realistly am only going to ever have 1 outside the home steam at a time 

In that case I would say either encode your videos to about 15. Or with Plex pass it will automatically transcode to what you connection is able to handle. 

I have used it a lot for a while so I got the lifetime version to support the project as well. 

9 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

In that case I would say either encode your videos to about 15. Or with Plex pass it will automatically transcode to what you connection is able to handle. 

I have used it a lot for a while so I got the lifetime version to support the project as well. 

ye am just paid for our yearly holiday so a bit broke now XD till payday which i think am going to get the lifetime pass then
obvs when streaming in home the 4k movies pull like 80mb/s but thats really a non issue as its not transcoded at all just raw 

My Build

i5-7600k

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

corsair void rbg (wired)

If you want ultimate quality, then you want to Remux your blurays. Forget about Handbrake. 

• Rip the BluRay disc (e.g DVDFab)
  • Use BDInfo to inspect your Playlist files and stream codecs (typically MPEG-4 AVC, DTS-HD MA or DDA Audio, and Subtitles)
  • Open the BluRay in tsMuxer and use the info you found from BDInfo to select the files you need to Demux
  • MKV Merge your .264 (Video), .dts (Audio) and Subs into a MKV container

Heres a general how to example https://www.dvd-guides.com/guides/blu-ray-rip/256-remux-blu-ray-to-mkv

It's fast to do as you arent encoding, and its lossless from the source. 

Downside is the filesize is as large as your BluRay. 

As far as Plex, for the best quality Direct Stream and Direct Play are your best quality (no transcoding) if your end device and internet upload can support it. 

If you do need to transcode then CPU (Software) will give you the highest quality (GPU is more efficient but not as good as CPU). 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA