Configuring i3 window manager.

Nah, I ain't spending a whole week mastering a window manager. I don't want to go full kernel developer mode. So, something which looks decent is fine. I want to know how do I change i3's config, and some stuff that I should change. I particularly want to change the font in the terminal. The terminal also looks very old school, so how do I get a better design? What stuff can I add in my taskbar thing?

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

Download alacritty(does not support tabs so try out the xfce terminal)and use the setfont command to change the size and font.

13 hours ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

Nah, I ain't spending a whole week mastering a window manager.

So... just use something else.

I told you you should not be using i3 or other barebones window managers if you don't know what you're doing:

On 3/6/2024 at 9:07 AM, Sauron said:

I've used i3 extensively, it has many advantages if you know what you're doing but I would not recommend it to a beginner. If you try i3 I can already see the dozens of posts here about "how do I get a desktop background in i3" and "how can I get audio in i3"... maybe stick to something ready-to-use if you don't know what you're doing

The advantage of a wm like this is that you can spend time (I'm talking months) customizing it to behave exactly the way you want. Just throwing in someone else's configuration defeats the purpose, you might as well use a preconfigured desktop environment which won't require weeks of muscle memory training to be usable.

13 hours ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

The terminal also looks very old school, so how do I get a better design?

The terminal emulator is a program like any other, if you don't like the one you have just install another. There are dozens of options.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I have to ask why are you posting this when you made two very similar posts before. Many ppl and I have told you what to do, what to use and how to do it. Asking on a forum for such mundane stuff is not going to help, a simple google will show you how to do what you're asking. Please don’t take what I said in a offensive way I just want you to know that somethings are better learnt through sources such as google, manpages and experimenting with stuff. The first google search you do on how to configure i3 will be to edit the ~/.config/i3/config if you have generated the default config on the first startup.

13 hours ago, goatedpenguin said:

I have to ask why are you posting this when you made two very similar posts before. Many ppl and I have told you what to do, what to use and how to do it. Asking on a forum for such mundane stuff is not going to help, a simple google will show you how to do what you're asking. Please don’t take what I said in a offensive way I just want you to know that somethings are better learnt through sources such as google, manpages and experimenting with stuff. The first google search you do on how to configure i3 will be to edit the ~/.config/i3/config if you have generated the default config on the first startup.

😑 ok I get it I am doing it myself. I have to put up a post on every "checkpoint" where I think it would be good to ask the community for proceeding.

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

Your more than welcome to, just post it on the same post instead of making a new one cuz some ppl might think your trolling, post farming etc. because of how similar the posts are. If your gonna configure i3 you might want to refer to its documentation and its tutorial as well as look at your distro wiki.

Here is a link if you want to check it out: https://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html

you know, you can save yourself a lot of trouble by just installing ubuntu. their desktop, fonts, icons, and terminal look a lot better than whatever bare metal desktop you plan to install out of the box. i used to be like you and i figure out this the hard way. i used to do so much customization until i realized they all look quite crap so i pretty much just default to whatever desktop these distros ship with nowadays. i mean chronicle(maker of ubuntu) have way more people and spent way more time/investment doing quality control and tweaking the ui of its distros so it looks good and proper for like... past 20 years? so why the hell am i downloading custom icons, theme packs, and copy-pasting config files from strangers from the internet whose customization might just be some low-effort quick change stitched together under just an hour without any quality checks onto my system?  

Sudo make me a sandwich 

"Linux is free if you don't value your time."(unless you don't care about customizing it or what distro you are using etc). If you really want to learn Linux, starting with such hard stuff ain't gonna cut it. As many others have said, there is nothing wrong with using a preconfigured distro, in fact my first distro was CentOs which unfortunately has gone down and Centos stream has replaced it because of shitty red hat. My point is pick a preconfigured distro, get used to it, learn it well and thoroughly and then finally make a switch to a more advanced based distro like arch(if you want to, it's perfectly fine not to do so). Some distros like opensuse, rocky linux, fedora, CentOs are all very popular and common distros for a reason. Why you may ask? Because they just work and that's what most people want. Try out Linux Mint imo it's the better version of ubuntu and its very easy to get on with life using that distro.