Dell precision T5500/T3500 CPUs

I have a Dell Precision T5500/T3500 (can't remember the exact number). It's running with dual CPUs with the second CPU and its ram on a removable riser. Is it possible to remove the riser and run the Workstation with just the one CPU on the motherboard?

I'm using the workstation with TrueNas and I don't need both CPUs and I'd like to be able to lower the power usage since each CPU is 92W.

Might wanna check the manual and what system you actually have first. But this seems like a t5500 and it should work just fine with one CPU.

Also those CPUs have a TDP at 92w, and almost never pull that much power. They will power much less power at idle, and more at max load often. But pulling the second CPU will likely help with power. Get a wall power meter to see how much it helps.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Might wanna check the manual and what system you actually have first. But this seems like a t5500 and it should work just fine with one CPU.

Also those CPUs have a TDP at 92w, and almost never pull that much power. They will power much less power at idle, and more at max load often. But pulling the second CPU will likely help with power. Get a wall power meter to see how much it helps.

I'm at work so I wasn't able to look at it for the model.

The T5500 sounds right though.

Since it's my NAS and on 24/7 I'd like to use as little power as I can.

I just skimmed the service manual for the T5500, and it looks like you should be able to just remove the second CPU riser and run without it. If you have the free slots on the motherboard, move the RAM over.

https://dl.dell.com/manuals/common/precision-t5500_setup guide_en-us.pdf

If you really want to save power though, I'd recommend looking into a newer platform. Even Sandy Bridge was a big step up from Nehalem in terms of efficiency. Even a desktop OptiPlex with a Skylake or better processor should be faster than the dual-socket T5500, assuming you're only running a couple drives.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

i have a dell t5500 with just one cpu works fine

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

18 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

I just skimmed the service manual for the T5500, and it looks like you should be able to just remove the second CPU riser and run without it. If you have the free slots on the motherboard, move the RAM over.

https://dl.dell.com/manuals/common/precision-t5500_setup guide_en-us.pdf

If you really want to save power though, I'd recommend looking into a newer platform. Even Sandy Bridge was a big step up from Nehalem in terms of efficiency. Even a desktop OptiPlex with a Skylake or better processor should be faster than the dual-socket T5500, assuming you're only running a couple drives.

I'm running with an SSD plugged into the motherboard and a RAID card with 4 drives. I had a WAY better system going for the NAS until it just stopped working suddenly.

I'm planning on building a new system, just need to save up.