Unifi Protect Backup to Remote Location

Fosol

Looking to find out if anyone has a solution that backups Unifi Protect video footage.  It's not obvious how to access the files remotely outside of the UI.

35 minutes ago, Fosol said:

Looking to find out if anyone has a solution that backups Unifi Protect video footage.  It's not obvious how to access the files remotely outside of the UI.

I'm confused. The Protect consoles are designed for built in redundancy with multiple drives. It is an on-site product since it can do constant recording. Depending on how many cameras you have, off-site or cloud back up might take too much bandwidth.

I have a simple-ish home setup with 6 cameras. I have them connected to HomeKit using Homebridge, and the HomeKit does save a cloud back up of the motions.

In addition to local UI, you can access them remotely from UI.com.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 6x unifi cameras and a doorbell all connect to HomeKit using the Homebridge. I archive videos by capturing the streams (in one hr increments)  using ffmpeg and converting them to mp4 video file at the end of the capture. I then archive then to a NAS in my LAN. This is all done in a couple of zsh scripts and launchctl (I hesitate to share because I can't offer support). I also have the protect archiver docker program (https://github.com/danielfernau/unifi-protect-video-downloader) running that extracts the motion events once an hours. This is much more manageable than full 24/7 video for 6 cameras.

I suggest installing the downloader program from GitHub and writing a script run by crontab to extract the motion events on a regular basis. The full 24/7 video archiving is a waste of resources.