Yuzu to pay $2.4 Million Dollars in Damage to Nintendo. Citra also affected. Asks Judge to set Legal Precedent against other Emulators.

rcmaehl
5 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

going back to - well known - pirate site that was shut down ... why didn't they also have to pay "2.4m"?

Because they didn't need to.  Everyone knows those sites were illegal and breaking copyright laws; it's about pursuing them to stop them...they can go through the method of taking over the site itself without even needing to really take the copyright company to court if it's egregious enough.

This case on another hand Nintendo wants to make almost like a case law and at the same time scare the developers of emulators.  Developers on the emulators will have to think twice about contributing to projects involving Nintendo as this kind of judgement means Nintendo could use it as a way to essentially threaten to do the same...except in cases where it's just contributers they could try going after the entire list of contributers for participating in it.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

On 3/5/2024 at 9:39 AM, LAwLz said:

Two things I have seen other people report on, that makes this case different from other cases are:

1) Yuzu released a TOTK-optimized version of their emulator just a few hours after the official release, and they put that version behind a paywall.

2) Yuzu developers and moderators have encouraged and helped with piracy on their Discord.

I think it is a bit hard to take the stance of "we are just doing this to make people be able to play games on more powerful hardware" when you are doing those two things.

I think it is very sad that Yuzu is going away because I do see legitimate use cases for it, and reverse engineering shouldn't be illegal IMO. But the profit motivation, encouraging piracy, and possibly developing the emulator used leaked and pirated software makes it a lot harder to defend. Assuming those things are true of course.

If this is true (as well as the reports about the TOTK piracy link mentiond above) screw both Nintendo and Yuzu as Yuzu should have known they were doing something that would raise the wrath of Nintendo to come after them and Nintendo because they come after people for modding their Switch through an exploit Nintendo left in the console on top of everything else they do. When UFD Tech got their video taken down by YT because Nintendo threw a massive tantrum I was flabbergasted and angry on their behalf.

Imo Yuzu should have seen this coming IF they were helping with and encouraging piracy and releasing a TOTK optimised emulator version behind a paywall on top of rthe fact that TOTK was being leaked as well. Reverse engineering though shouldn't be illegal at all.

Tbh I'm only annoyed because of the fact I can't get Citra anymore (though it looks like someone has already forked/mirrored it but you would need to check it for viruses). Looks like I should have gotten it when the eShop closed last year. I don't care about the Switch emulator as I have a Switch and can play the few Switch games I own and there should be a new console releasing soon as well so support will be good for many more years to come. But I have a lot of digital 3DS games which I could lose if my console dies and there will probably be no way to repair it in like 20 years.

My Rigs | CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 | GPU: AMD Radeon Powercolor 7800XT Hellhound | RAM: 32GB of G.Skill Trident Z Neo @3600MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W G+ | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C TG | SSDs: WD BLACK SN850X 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | SSHD: Seagate FireCuda 2TB (Backup) | HDD: Seagate IronWolf 4TB (Backup of Other PCs) | Capture Card: AVerMedia Live Gamer HD 2 | Monitors: AOC G2590PX & Acer XV272U Pbmiiprzx | UPS: APC BR1500GI Back-UPS Pro | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2 | Mouse: Razer Naga Pro | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

First System: Dell Dimension E521 with AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 3GB DDR2 RAM

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List