GTX 800 series : it's not a question of when, but why?

kungfury7

Alright bros, thread closed. I think I have gained a lot of new information with this one, so thank you all for your contributions. I'm glad I have expressed my views, and I'm glad the ideas are exchanged. So to all of you, have a nice one, and cheers.  :lol:

Oh wow, unpopular opinion puffin would be appropriate...

And there is no GTX R Series...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

I think Nvidia is waiting with launching new high-end product because of the current lead Nvidia has.. I mean, obviously the 700 series are selling way better than the R9 series from AMD. As long as Nvidia is in front, i wouldn't expect something from nvidia untill AMD have made a new serie which kills the 700 series, thats how the market Works in my opinion. :)

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

AMD does much better in high res then nividia, and r9 290x not betting the 780 wut? I think this is a pretty bias post. 

My Little Gaming Rig:

CPU: FX 8320 | MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3P | RAM: G.Skill Ares 2x4GB | GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB | Case: Corsair 200R | PSU: CM 550W V-Series

Upgrades to come: CPU FAN: Corsair H100i | RAM: 2 more 4GB sticks | GPU: Another R9 270X running in crossfire | Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair 800w

AMD does much better in high res then nividia, and r9 290x not betting the 780 wut? I think this is a pretty bias post. 

Watch Linus's R9 290x reviews. It loses in all benchmarks to the GTX 780.

But mannn.. I don't think my thread is gonna last long hahahah

Watch Linus's R9 290x reviews. It loses in all benchmarks to the GTX 780.

But mannn.. I don't think my thread is gonna last long hahahah

Well, linus got a beast 780, the 290x stock cooler is crap and his 290x is crap and no one should buy a stock card.

When you get a nice 290x like the dcu2 and compare that with a dcu2 780 the 290x will beat it. Even more so on high res.

Or why do you think nvidia "cancel-delayed" the Titan Z? Because the 295x2 is so crappy that they have to make the Z weaker? lol.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

Well, both GPUs are really strong, but! When it comes to pure compute performance, the 780 is taking a step infront of R9 290x.. The problem with the R9 290x is that the gpu is running REALLY hot, like between 90 and 100 degrees on stock coolers, 
In some games, they have optimised the engine for AMD gpu's which obviously will make the R9 290x run better than the 780.. But lets not forget about Nvidias 780ti and Titan Black which is better than both the 290x and 780. 

Well, linus got a beast 780, the 290x stock cooler is crap and his 290x is crap and no one should buy a stock card.

When you get a nice 290x like the dcu2 and compare that with a dcu2 780 the 290x will beat it. Even more so on high res.

Or why do you think nvidia "cancel-delayed" the Titan Z? Because the 295x2 is so crappy that they have to make the Z weaker? lol.

Wow... so you are saying the GTX 780 he has is somehow better than the GTX 780's available in the market, and this is why it beats the R9 290X in every bench? Man, that's just a childish excuse... I cannot do anything but blink slowly to that dumb idea.

Wow... so you are saying the GTX 780 he has is somehow better than the GTX 780's available in the market, and this is why it beats the R9 290X in every bench? Man, that's just a childish excuse... I cannot do anything but blink slowly to that dumb idea.

"a beast 780" is not equal to "better than the 780s available in the market"

weird that you didnt even go further into the whole 295x2 thing. r u a fanboi?

Gaming HTPC:

Desktop PC:

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

I sense OP bias.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

This is not an expert opinion as I am not an expert, if I was I'd be making much more money than I do at my current job so take it for what you will.  nVidia from my standpoint absolutely has no reason to produce a new product at this moment based on the landscape of it's current product.  With a competitor like AMD who pushes more sales through never settle bundles with very decent commercial grade products that will seem to never balance a multi GPU solution perfectly, nVidia can sit back and keep selling 780ti's that can be SLI'd until the cows come home.  That's not to say that SLI is absolutely perfect either, but it is much more acheivable given the fairly successful driver implementation that nVidia keeps tailoring.  WIth all of that said, the current 700 series has been very successful (like selling water to people in the desert successful) and I would assume that they can keep milking that cow as long as there is still product in the warehouse and people are buying it.  They have probably long surpassed budget on fulfilling the sought after profit margin for the 700 series and there is no reason to replace it just yet while the money is still rolling in.

This is a very simplistic point of view for why I THINK they are not pushing a release.  Besides, christmas is such a great time of year to drop a product anyhow, I'd market the hell out of a brand new product that a set amount of users WILL buy during that time of the year.  If that was the case though, still ponder why there is no news at the moment.

**Lays neck on chopping block waiting for the next axe ;)

Linus and Slick have both said their 780 Overclocks a ton and so that's how it's able to score so high, not every 780 would be able to achieve their results.

Saying the R9 series offers no competition is pretty naive considering that their price/performance is so good. Benchmarks don't lie, just because a card doesn't appeal to you, doesn't mean it's not good. 

Project: Rock Lobster = Completed Click for Build Log 
INTEL CORE I7 4790K @4.6ghz | 2 x Windforce R9 290's CF | CORSAIR H110i |Samsung EVO 500GB SSD, Sandisk 128GB SSD| WD 3TB Green, Seagate 2TB |

|Asus Maximus 7 Ranger  | Windows 7 | Corsair 450D Case |

Linus and Slick have both said their 780 Overclocks a ton and so that's how it's able to score so high, not every 780 would be able to achieve their results.

Saying the R9 series offers no competition is pretty naive considering that their price/performance is so good. Benchmarks don't lie, just because a card doesn't appeal to you, doesn't mean it's not good. 

Their card is "Golden"

I used to own a golden GTX 480 that reached 920mhz on air cooling which would give a really slanted look at the majority of 480's as most barely go over 840mhz.

Just an example.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Linus overclocks his cards the R9 290X he got was a bad overclocker but the GTX 780 he got was a brilliant overclocker hence the 780 beat the R9 290X in all the benchmarks because Linus runs all benchmarks overclocked, so yes his GTX 780 is better statistically than most other 780s.

My Current Rig: CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.8Ghz CPU Cooler: H100i MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X SOC GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 Tahiti pro (Died 6/07/2014 RIP) & PowerColour HD7950  GPU Cooler: NZXT G10 W/ Corsair H55 HDD&SSD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB + Corsair GS 128GB + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2.  

"a beast 780" is not equal to "better than the 780s available in the market"

weird that you didnt even go further into the whole 295x2 thing. r u a fanboi?

No... not really. Anything that goes beyond 780, or the R9 290x for AMD, I consider it as a very niche market. Most consumers, including myself, cannot really afford products beyond that price range. And I don't think the purpose of those beyond-beast products are really meant as a force to drive market change like other more marketable installments.

This is not an expert opinion as I am not an expert, if I was I'd be making much more money than I do at my current job so take it for what you will.  nVidia from my standpoint absolutely has no reason to produce a new product at this moment based on the landscape of it's current product.  With a competitor like AMD who pushes more sales through never settle bundles with very decent commercial grade products that will seem to never balance a multi GPU solution perfectly, nVidia can sit back and keep selling 780ti's that can be SLI'd until the cows come home.  That's not to say that SLI is absolutely perfect either, but it is much more acheivable given the fairly successful driver implementation that nVidia keeps tailoring.  WIth all of that said, the current 700 series has been very successful (like selling water to people in the desert successful) and I would assume that they can keep milking that cow as long as there is still product in the warehouse and people are buying it.  They have probably long surpassed budget on fulfilling the sought after profit margin for the 700 series and there is no reason to replace it just yet while the money is still rolling in.

This is a very simplistic point of view for why I THINK they are not pushing a release.  Besides, christmas is such a great time of year to drop a product anyhow, I'd market the hell out of a brand new product that a set amount of users WILL buy during that time of the year.  If that was the case though, still ponder why there is no news at the moment.

**Lays neck on chopping block waiting for the next axe ;)

This is exactly my thought, except you express it kinda better. Cheers mate, love your comment  :D

Linus overclocks his cards the R9 290X he got was a bad overclocker but the GTX 780 he got was a brilliant overclocker hence the 780 beat the R9 290X in all the benchmarks because Linus runs all benchmarks overclocked, so yes his GTX 780 is better statistically than most other 780s.

Just to add to this, they lay out all of their O.C. settings in their benchmarks, everyone is capable of replicating (approximately) the results for their own use.

I'm just saying it's not impressive enough to be consider a "Traded blow" with Nvidia.

Their card is "Golden"

I used to own a golden GTX 480 that reached 920mhz on air cooling which would give a really slanted look at the majority of 480's as most barely go over 840mhz.

Just an example.

Hmm... could be true, could be false. If that is true then there's no point in reading the reviews don't you think? If you have to search the needle in the haystack for that golden card in order to buy the best shit for your buck, then maybe it's better just to buy a shitty xbox or something.

Meh, I don't really buy that.

I'm just saying it's not impressive enough to be consider a "Traded blow" with Nvidia.

Hmm... could be true, could be false. If that is true then there's no point in reading the reviews don't you think? If you have to search the needle in the haystack for that golden card in order to buy the best shit for your buck, then maybe it's better just to buy a shitty xbox or something.

Proof may settle this then.

Go watch a review where Slick mentions all cards are overclocked, this one for instance:

Golden.

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

Just to add to this, they lay out all of their O.C. settings in their benchmarks, everyone is capable of replicating (approximately) the results for their own use.

Yeah, exactly. I don't see why some numbnuts keep saying that the GTX 780 Linus used in the review is a "Golden Card" which yielded better bench results than other regular consumer cards you and I can get our hands on. It's no excuse that GTX 780 beats the R9 290x. If this is true, then why do we all bother watching Linus's Reviews then? It's his job to make things fair and square, and that he certainly did.

Linus clearly states in all of his videos he runs the cards overclocked and even has a google doc (forget where) which has all of the overclocking data on it for you to see. It doesn't matter if you buy it or not it's fact so there is no point arguing.

My Current Rig: CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.8Ghz CPU Cooler: H100i MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X SOC GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 Tahiti pro (Died 6/07/2014 RIP) & PowerColour HD7950  GPU Cooler: NZXT G10 W/ Corsair H55 HDD&SSD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB + Corsair GS 128GB + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2.  

Proof may settle this then.

Go watch a review where Slick mentions all cards are overclocked, this one for instance:

Golden.

Aren't we trying to argue that GTX 780 beats R9 290x in Linus's reviews? Why bringing up the 780Ti? 

"Golden cards"? What are we, trying to get that ticket to Willy Wonka's factories? 

I believe in Linus's promise to keep these reviews fair and square for us to make wise decisions based on his info. If you think otherwise, maybe you shouldn't be on this forums.

Linus clearly states in all of his videos he runs the cards overclocked and even has a google doc (forget where) which has all of the overclocking data on it for you to see. It doesn't matter if you buy it or not it's fact so there is no point arguing.

Yeah... exactly. I just don't believe people are still giving me shit about this "golden card" bullshit, when all cards from all manufacturers are OC'd to best of their abilities.

Aren't we trying to argue that GTX 780 beats R9 290x in Linus's reviews? Why bringing up the 780Ti? 

"Golden cards"? What are we, trying to get that ticket to Willy Wonka's factories? 

I believe in Linus's promise to keep these reviews fair and square for us to make wise decisions based on his info. If you think otherwise, maybe you shouldn't be on this forums.

Nothing to do with Ti's, just stating facts, nothing to do with the Kingpin either, their 780 is golden.

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert