What if?... Ubiquiti disappears.

madsci1016

Ubiquiti shill here. Probably have more in my house than @jakkuh_t. But in the true LTT fashion, i have to wonder, what happens if Ubiquiti suddenly disappears? Have they been good at making sure their hardware outlives their cloud? 

My thoughts:

I assume the following:

1. Single Sign on stops working.

2. No more unifi.ui.com. No site manager. Local access to consoles only.

3. Magic VPN connections break.

4. Existing and new manually setup Site-2-Site VPNs stay up.

5. ULTE users lose their failover capability altogether

6. Do dual WAN/failover users have issues when the pinging of a UI server fails on both connections?

7. Wifiman app and teleport stop working?

8. Can we even adopt or setup new consoles without the mobile app or ubiquiti cloud?

9. Do protect push notifications still work? I assume the protect mobile app probably breaks unless you VPN in to the network first. Oof.

10. Not to mention VOIP users, i assume thats just all shutdown.

And then here's the next question, what do we do now to be prepared?

1. Have proven site-2-site configs ready in all the consoles you administer if you are a magic VPN user.

2. Have WG or OVPN vpn servers already setup on all sites you administer

3. Have local admin accounts configured on all consoles

4. Change the ping target for failover detection. 

Anything else?

IDK, maybe this is a better video suggestion. Either way, i thinks it's a good discussion. 

All I have from them is an ER-X, so my answers about UI disappearing are only regarding what I can do or have configured with my ER-X, which isnt super elaborate:

23 hours ago, madsci1016 said:

Do dual WAN/failover users have issues when the pinging of a UI server fails on both connections?

I have Dual WAN failover configured on my ER-X, and even it's default config after using the multi-WAN wizard never specifies any UI server. In fact, I think it's default is simply to ping the WAN's gateway (which is usually just the WAN/ISP's modem itself).

23 hours ago, madsci1016 said:

Wifiman app and teleport stop working?

Teleport might stop working, but wifiman would still work for features that don't require UI login or cloud.

12 minutes ago, NobleGamer said:

All I have from them is an ER-X,

I think you are in good shape, almost makes me want to hang on to one on my many retired ER-4s for disaster prep. 

I think it's those that are invested deeply in Unifi that would be most unpleasantly surprised. 

>ubiquiti disappears

celebration time  

CCNP | Windows Admin | 2011 Audi A4 2.0t | i7 7820x @5ghz | 60tb 2 node vSAN

For what it's worth, as someone who uses UniFi gear to make money, absolutely nothing changes, at least in the short term. If you are serious about supporting UniFi gear in a highly reliable way, you need to be hosting your own console, or paying hostifi for hosting. You can't rely on Ubiquiti to provide reliable hosting. And I don't mean a cloud key or UGW/DreamMachine.

At work, we have thousand of UniFi devices deployed to small shops, random offices, and a number of larger deployments (largest is ~1000 active clients, we push for Meraki at larger sites but this was an existing install we fixed). We host the controller on VM with a large cloud provider. We stage firmware versions to a couple test sites and don't use auto-updates. We don't use UniFi gateways and avoid their switches (until recently, the newer ones are more reliable then the ones from 4 or 5 years ago based our number of failed switches).

At home I have UniFi controller running in Docker.

I never have a single problem with either of these deployments. AMA

On 3/4/2024 at 4:13 AM, Block0 said:

>ubiquiti disappears

celebration time  

Okay... why? 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup