PC repair screw kit

Any plans for LTT to add a small box of common screws used in PC building and repair?  Would be a great addition to the screwdrivers.

This sort of thing does exist, but is commonly a cheap translucent plastic box with dividers for different screw types.  The issue with existing products on the market is that they are not clearly labeled, and/or the mix of screws isn't good and there are useless (waste of money) parts in the bundle.

Just now, ToboRobot said:

Any plans for LTT to add a small box of common screws used in PC building and repair?  Would be a great addition to the screwdrivers.

This sort of thing does exist, but is commonly a cheap translucent plastic box with dividers for different screw types.  The issue with existing products on the market is that they are not clearly labeled, and/or the mix of screws isn't good and there are useless (waste of money) parts in the bundle.

Never used iFixit screwdrivers kits ? they're pretty good in my book

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Just now, ToboRobot said:

I don't want a screwDRIVER kit, I want a kit with screws.

Like this.

https://www.amazon.ca/MMOBIEL-Standoff-Computer-Motherboard-Graphic/dp/B08F4FLD4C/

Huh ok, sorry for the confusion 😮 

But i can't really think what can be done  better on a screw kit  ...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Huh ok, sorry for the confusion 😮 

But i can't really think what can be done  better on a screw kit  ...

As per my original post, they are either they are poorly labeled or the mix of screws included isn't good, and many have a few useful screws, and the rest are useless parts.

35 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

As per my original post, they are either they are poorly labeled or the mix of screws included isn't good, and many have a few useful screws, and the rest are useless parts.

I've bought a few of the 10$ boxes and they've been pretty good and universally come in well labelled individual separated sections. One problem is that different companies use different standards. There are two flavors of mobo standoffs with their own screws to match. There are at least 4 different types of m.2 standoffs. PSU screws are universal as are the self tapping fan screws, but case screws vary from company to company. Then you get into the whole world of radiator screws which come in many different lengths. 

I think the problem is that it's impossible to make a comprehensive set of screws without including a LOT of "useless" pieces.  

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

6 minutes ago, OddOod said:

I've bought a few of the 10$ boxes and they've been pretty good and universally come in well labelled individual separated sections. One problem is that different companies use different standards. There are two flavors of mobo standoffs with their own screws to match. There are at least 4 different types of m.2 standoffs. PSU screws are universal as are the self tapping fan screws, but case screws vary from company to company. Then you get into the whole world of radiator screws which come in many different lengths. 

I think the problem is that it's impossible to make a comprehensive set of screws without including a LOT of "useless" pieces.  

I'm fine with it not be comprehensive.  I do not want to pay for useless filler parts.   

I want two things: well labeled (pictures of parts, part # for reorders, name of part) and a curated assortment of useful parts without anyone of them being cheap filler.  

8 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

I do not want to pay for useless filler parts. 

Okay, but what you call cheap filler, another consumer might call the most important part. 
How about this one? https://www.amazon.com/Standoffs-Assortment-Universal-Motherboard-Installation/dp/B09BD7Y13P/

As for part numbers, do you mean like "M3x10"? 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

2 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Okay, but what you call cheap filler, another consumer might call the most important part. 
How about this one? https://www.amazon.com/Standoffs-Assortment-Universal-Motherboard-Installation/dp/B09BD7Y13P/

As for part numbers, do you mean like "M3x10"? 

Gaskets are a waste imo.

Part number would be an a number used to reorder more when you run out.  Could be a barcode or QR code.  

Yeah, I really *really* don't think LTT would or should enter this market. It's just not worth it. Especially with your requirement that they also sell screws individually. This is a razor thin margin business and it's well served by the existing market

Just now, OddOod said:

Yeah, I really *really* don't think LTT would or should enter this market. It's just not worth it. Especially with your requirement that they also sell screws individually. This is a razor thin margin business and it's well served by the existing market

I think you are very wrong about the margins on this.  

The product you linked me, is $20 + $5 shipping in Canada.  The cost of goods is less than $5 landed cost.  It's a few bags of screws and cheap plastic case with a sticker.

With a moderate take rate from screw driver customers, this is a nice additional chunk of revenue.

People would have said the existing screwdriver market was well served by the products in existence before LTT sold millions of dollars worth.

On 3/1/2024 at 10:21 AM, ToboRobot said:

I think you are very wrong about the margins on this.  

The product you linked me, is $20 + $5 shipping in Canada.  The cost of goods is less than $5 landed cost.  It's a few bags of screws and cheap plastic case with a sticker.

With a moderate take rate from screwdriver customers, this is a nice additional chunk of revenue.

People would have said the existing screwdriver market was well served by the products in existence before LTT sold millions of dollars worth.

Sure, the COGs is super low, but labor is gonna be the killer, especially if they stock both whole kits plus individual screw bags.

If you're really in the market for a screw kit with absolutely ZERO waste, I'd rec just buying a small tackle box and making your own for the brands you encounter. 

You know if they made one, half the Internet would point to the existing generic PC screw kits (available just about anywhere for short money) and yell about how much of an "expensive ripoff" the LTT screw kit is by comparison.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

18 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

You know if they made one, half the Internet would point to the existing generic PC screw kits (available just about anywhere for short money) and yell about how much of an "expensive ripoff" the LTT screw kit is by comparison.

That is what happened with the screw driver, but the still sold a bunch of them and continue to do so.

Listening to the haters can be foolish.

There's no way to get a "custom mix" of screws to be exactly what each person needs without having a stupid high labor rate.

The generic mix (with some potentially useless bits) is better usually due to costs

9 hours ago, tkitch said:

There's no way to get a "custom mix" of screws to be exactly what each person needs without having a stupid high labor rate.

The generic mix (with some potentially useless bits) is better usually due to costs

im not asking for a custom mix.  im asking for a curated mix of parts by people that actual build and fix PCs, not just some businesss that wants to sell the cheapest junk on amazon.

A good generic mix is all I am asking for, not some custom mix.  Everyone can easily do that themselves.  

I just want to be able to buy something that isn't crap. which doesn't seem to exist.

21 hours ago, OddOod said:

Sure, the COGs is super low, but labor is gonna be the killer, especially if they stock both whole kits plus individual screw bags.

If you're really in the market for a screw kit with absolutely ZERO waste, I'd rec just buying a small tackle box and making your own for the brands you encounter. 

Don't have to stock the individual replacements.  Can drop ship from fastener companies that make fasterns and bits their business or get affiliate referral revenue for directing customers to a partner.

2 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

Don't have to stock the individual replacements.  Can drop ship from fastener companies that make fasterns and bits their business or get affiliate referral revenue for directing customers to a partner.

LTT doesn't drop ship.  And I honestly don't want them to start.

2 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

im not asking for a custom mix.  im asking for a curated mix of parts by people that actual build and fix PCs, not just some businesss that wants to sell the cheapest junk on amazon.

A good generic mix is all I am asking for, not some custom mix.  Everyone can easily do that themselves.  

I just want to be able to buy something that isn't crap. which doesn't seem to exist.

So, what exactly do you want?  Because you're making vague demands and not actually stating anything useful.

Quick amazon US search:
71eXhJzXbvL._SL1500_.jpg

This is a perfectly reasonable kit.  10 bucks for 400 pieces.  Gaskets?  Meh, whatever.  But at worst that's like a buck or something out of here?

Everything else is fine.  LTT isn't gonna want to compete with that.

Here's a slightly more expensive option, at 13$ for 500 pieces:

71CvPUSstXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

What's different: 

Colorways for Fan Screws, Thumb Screws and motherboard screws.  Eh, that's fine.  

The nuts and bolts?  Slightly odd choice, but I've actually used those in my builds before, so it's not outlandish to include.  

Two different Mobo Standoff threads?  Yup, not all boards have the same tray threading, that's a thing.  

What are you actually looking for that would be materially different than these?  Can you actually answer that with something concrete.  

And as far as "Isn't crap"

They're fuckin' PC Screws.  They're shitty commodity items, you aren't gonna get boutique luxury screws.  (Not counting when Lian Li made some custom anodized aluminum thumb screws, those were sick back in the day.)