need help setting up raid with my perc H700

Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,
2 hours ago, dreamcast4599 said:

@Blue4130 this is what i see under disk management drive is set up in MBR 

MBR only supports partitions up to 2 TB in size. You need to reinitialize the virtual drive in GPT mode from Disk Management, then you can create a partition that fills all your available space.

50 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The perc h700 can only support up to 2tb drives. It is very very very old and this was a common limitation back in the day.

You can just get a used lsi raid card for 35$ from ebay to fix it.

The H700 does support large drives, but older versions of firmware have weird issues with them. The old PERC 6i was the last one that didn't support physical disks over 2 TB.

But I agree, an H310 cross-flashed to IT mode or a 'normal' SAS HBA are generally better options if you don't already have a card in-hand.

so i have a dell perc H700 with a 3TB sas drive connected to my gaming pc. the perc H700 sees the drive and allows me to create a virtual disk using the full capacity of the drive, however when i initialize the drive windows 10 sees two separate partitions instead of a single partition with the full empty drive capacity im confused any help forgot to add the drive is in a RAID 0

s-l1200.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

10 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

so i have a dell perc H700 with a 3TB sas drive connected to my gaming pc. the perc H700 sees the drive and allows me to create a virtual disk using the full capacity of the drive, however when i initialize the drive windows 10 sees two separate partitions instead of a single partition with the full empty drive capacity im confused any help forgot to add the drive is in a RAID 0

Can you show a screen shot of the windows screen? What are the partition sizes that it shows?

1 hour ago, dreamcast4599 said:

Are you able to delete the partition or merge it? Also you say that it is in raid 0. Do you have two drives? Or just a single drive in raid 0.

Als0, is there a reason that you are using the perc at all? Is it just so that you can use SAS? Why a single drive on a raid card? Why not just flash it to HBA mode if you need SAS ports?

The perc h700 can only support up to 2tb drives. It is very very very old and this was a common limitation back in the day.

2 hours ago, dreamcast4599 said:

MBR only supports partitions up to 2 TB in size. You need to reinitialize the virtual drive in GPT mode from Disk Management, then you can create a partition that fills all your available space.

50 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The H700 does support large drives, but older versions of firmware have weird issues with them. The old PERC 6i was the last one that didn't support physical disks over 2 TB.

But I agree, an H310 cross-flashed to IT mode or a 'normal' SAS HBA are generally better options if you don't already have a card in-hand.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

17 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Good catch, Been so long since i've used mbr.