Can I get some help saving a gpu?

King Minor
Go to solution Solved by OhYou_,
47 minutes ago, King Minor said:

Thanks for everyone's help, but I think I will just get my money back. eBay has already told me that they would do it, and I don't think I can fix whatever the issue is.

Again thanks for the help everyone.

yeah it goes up pretty high in diagnosis difficulty from that point ehh.

I was recently misled by eBay into buying a broken GPU (Not going into details). While eBay has told me that I can get my money back, but I would rather try to fix the GPU if at all possible.

I asked the seller what the issue was and I got this.
"One day went to turn on the pc and no video out. Card acts as if it is operational minus no video from DVI."

Trouble shooting steps they took.

"It’s been slotted in a different pci slot. The cables have been changed. The monitor has been changed. No video out.
My cpu doesn't have integrated video so I can’t do much more than that. I can’t try to load a new firmware or bios. "

Any things I should try to fix this. I would rather fix it than return it if possible?

there are about 3500 different gpus sold between the 90s and today and yours is just one of them. how can we suggest anything without knowing which one you have
Do you have it delivered yet, have you tried any troubleshooting steps yet?

35 minutes ago, King Minor said:

Trouble shooting steps they took.

"It’s been slotted in a different pci slot. The cables have been changed. The monitor has been changed. No video out.
My cpu doesn't have integrated video so I can’t do much more than that. I can’t try to load a new firmware or bios. "

This is the most extensive troubleshooting that you can expect. If you're not able to do circuit board repair, you're not gonna get any farther. 

The graphics card doesn't work in the seller's PC, and it doesn't work in yours. For me as a buyer, I'd be happy to conclude that it simply doesn't work at all.

36 minutes ago, King Minor said:

. I would rather fix it than return it if possible?

I'm gonna guess that you got it for a really good price because it was broken and you'd rather have a working GPU for cheap, which of course anybody would prefer that. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

This is the most extensive troubleshooting that you can expect

yeah but ebay sellers generally do not have tons of time as a resource. OP likely does.
There is plenty more steps you can do than that which are free to try.

35 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

there are about 3500 different gpus sold between the 90s and today and yours is just one of them. how can we suggest anything without knowing which one you have
Do you have it delivered yet, have you tried any troubleshooting steps yet?

It is an RX-6800xt. It is arriving today, I wanted to make a list of things I should try beforehand.

14 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

This is the most extensive troubleshooting that you can expect. If you're not able to do circuit board repair, you're not gonna get any farther. 

The graphics card doesn't work in the seller's PC, and it doesn't work in yours. For me as a buyer, I'd be happy to conclude that it simply doesn't work at all.

I'm gonna guess that you got it for a really good price because it was broken and you'd rather have a working GPU for cheap, which of course anybody would prefer that. 

It hasn't been tested in my pc yet. I wanted to make a list of troubleshooting steps beforehand

12 minutes ago, King Minor said:

It is an RX-6800xt. It is arriving today, I wanted to make a list of things I should try beforehand.

well I would be worried what the seller means about dvi.
that card does not have dvi

the very first step I would take is to visually inspect the entire card to the best you can without disassembling it. Then if it doesnt look damaged in any way, slot it in hopefully a pc you have which either has intel integrated graphics or another gpu. you may need to configure the computer before installing the gpu in the case of the intel, to actually enable it

7 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

the very first step I would take is to visually inspect the entire card to the best you can without disassembling it. Then if it doesnt look damaged in any way, slot it in hopefully a pc you have which either has intel integrated graphics or another gpu. you may need to configure the computer before installing the gpu in the case of the intel, to actually enable it

I have a GTX 760 that I know works, should I put the RX 6800xt in the first slot of the second slot?

10 minutes ago, King Minor said:

should I put the RX 6800xt in the first slot of the second slot?

second slot, all you're really doing is connecting a monitor to each gpu, and then make sure it gets to the OS, and if it does, try to get a display out of the amd card.
you should be able to get a display out of it without drivers, if you do, thats pretty good sign. Then install drivers and see if it works, do a furmark on it, ect.
if everything looks good, then pull out the nvidia and see if it boots properly.

Should be a good workflow, if it fails to work at any point then that will really narrow down things

22 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

second slot, all you're really doing is connecting a monitor to each gpu, and then make sure it gets to the OS, and if it does, try to get a display out of the amd card.
you should be able to get a display out of it without drivers, if you do, thats pretty good sign. Then install drivers and see if it works, do a furmark on it, ect.
if everything looks good, then pull out the nvidia and see if it boots properly.

Should be a good workflow, if it fails to work at any point then that will really narrow down things

Thanks, I will definitely do that.

3 hours ago, OhYou_ said:

Let’s hope they didn’t shove a dvi cable into an hdmi slot because if so I am going to be really angry. Already have seen people shove usb-a into an  Ethernet port so this would just add to the list of people who don’t pay attention at all.

11 minutes ago, Milesqqw2 said:

Let’s hope they didn’t shove a dvi cable into an hdmi slot because if so I am going to be really angry. Already have seen people shove usb-a into an  Ethernet port so this would just add to the list of people who don’t pay attention at all.

its more like the seller has no idea of the condition of the card and just posts some canned description.
OR the seller runs a gpu repair business and knows the card is trash and is offloading it.

its very likely to be the first, I 've bought so much stuff thats supposed to be broken or nfg and I just get it, i plug it in, it works.
ive had more broken hardware from ebay listed as working properly than iv'e had broken hardware listed as broken

Boot in bios somehow via gtx card and disable secure boot, then put amd card and test it

1 hour ago, OhYou_ said:

its more like the seller has no idea of the condition of the card and just posts some canned description.
OR the seller runs a gpu repair business and knows the card is trash and is offloading it.

its very likely to be the first, I 've bought so much stuff thats supposed to be broken or nfg and I just get it, i plug it in, it works.
ive had more broken hardware from ebay listed as working properly than iv'e had broken hardware listed as broken

I checked it. My gtx 760 is getting video output. But the rx 6800xt isn't. I checked the bios and it isn't showing up in pcie devices. The fans are spinning. No physical damage.

I don't think it is coming back, yeah the fans are spinning, but the Radeon logo isn't lighting up. Edit, the light flashed when I shut the pc down with the power button.

1709161004454336099547759506353.jpg

16 minutes ago, King Minor said:

I don't think it is coming back, yeah the fans are spinning, but the Radeon logo isn't lighting up. Edit, the light flashed when I shut the pc down with the power button.

I see you have two graphics cards in the system. Does the second GPU show up in device manager?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

9 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I see you have two graphics cards in the system. Does the second GPU show up in device manager?

No it does not.

Thanks for everyone's help, but I think I will just get my money back. eBay has already told me that they would do it, and I don't think I can fix whatever the issue is.

2 minutes ago, King Minor said:

If it did show up in devices or bios or in lspci in Linux then i could recommend methods but too bad its not showing up.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

47 minutes ago, King Minor said:

yeah it goes up pretty high in diagnosis difficulty from that point ehh.