Home Media Server Transcoding

Go to solution Solved by ChrisLoudon,
16 minutes ago, Zalosath said:

Thanks for your input!

What you said makes sense, so it could be worth getting a GPU for on-the-fly transcoding as you say.

The issue for me right now is that all of my files are mp4's and they're MASSIVE. The current effort is converting them to mkv h265 for minimal CPU transcoding when it's required, and also to reduce the file sizes. For reference, converting a 40GB MP4 to an MKV reduced the file size to 24GB, it really adds up for me, especially with a large number of files.

I can't say this isn't entirely my fault to begin with, when I was adding media way back when I thought "oh let's use mp4, no transcoding required for any devices!", little did I know that I would run into storage issues. For reference, I only have 6TB of storage, which I am looking to upgrade sometime soon.

What quadro might I be looking at for this? I really have no experience in this area!

No worries.

My advice would be to always TRY and keep your media files stored in their original format (where possible). I'm only saying this as a home cinema enthusiast so as screen sizes go up and prices go down, what looked great on a 55" might start to look a bit blocky on a 65... 77.... you get the point.

If you start reducing file size and quality at source then you might run into quality issues at some point down the line. That being said, H265 is pretty damn good. On another note, if (like me) you are a bit of an audiophile then the container you use is quite important. MP4 doesn't support Dolby TrueHD whereas MKV or M2TS does. Just something to be mindful of.

If you want to compare transcoding capabilities of pretty much every GPU on the market, have a look at this link:

https://www.elpamsoft.com/?p=Plex-Hardware-Transcoding

It only specifies PLEX but I think it will apply to Jellyfin as well.

As a final thought, physical media is on the way out so having your media stored in the highest bitrate with the best audio format possible is definitely going to pay dividends. Netflix, Amazon et-al use highly compressed video streams and max out with Dolby Digital Plus audio streams. They may decide to increase bitrates and add lossless audio codecs but I doubt that will happen any time soon.  

Hi,

I'm running a Jellyfin instance on my server and I'm currently going through the process of transcoding all of the files on it, I'm using Tdarr for this. I have around 2400 items to transcode, each no shorter than 25 minutes, so as you can imagine, it's taking absolutely ages. In the past day it's only done around 7 transcodes (including some larger 25GB files and some smaller 200MB files). I'm using a 5600G for the transcoding, it's constantly pinned at 100% usage, to no surprise.

My question is, is it worth just getting a GPU for transcoding? I know that the CPU is better, it's just way too slow for my use case.

Or should I just switch over to a high-power Intel CPU?

Either option is fine with me, or any others that you can think of, let me know your thoughts, cheers.

Main PC [ CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D with H150i ELITE CAPPELIX  GPU Nvidia 3090 FE  MBD ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A  RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB@5600MHz  PSU HX1000i  Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic  Monitor LG UltraGear 1440p 32" Nano IPS@180Hz  Keyboard Keychron Q6 with Kailh Box Switch Jade  Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight  Microphone Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter & GoXLR ]

Server [ CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G  GPU Intel ARC A380  RAM Corsair VEGEANCE LPX 64GB  Storage 16TB EXOS ]

Phone [ Google Pixel 8 Pro, 256GB, Snow ]

44 minutes ago, Zalosath said:

My question is, is it worth just getting a GPU for transcoding? I know that the CPU is better, it's just way too slow for my use case.

Or should I just switch over to a high-power Intel CPU?

Hi buddy,

My Plex server stores all of my media files in their original format and I transcode 'on-demand' based on the player that's being used.

If I'm watching a 4K Bluray on one of my home TVs or PCs then there's no tanscoding required but if I'm watching something on a tablet or phone, then it will transcode as necessary.

I haven't used Jellyfin but from what I understand its pretty much the same as plex.

I don't think there is any need to transcode anything ahead of time unless it it is likely you will need to fall back on a transcoded copy of a file most of the time.

My Plex server uses an old i7 3770K to run the bowels and GTX1650 for on-the-fly transcoding and I have no issues. GPU is dirt cheap and doesn't even require supplemental PCIe power.

If you need more streams to be transcoded simultaneously (large family accessing at the same time) then get your hands on an old Quadro from eBay.

Bedroom PC - Lian-Li O11 XL Evo - Intel Core i5 13600k @ 5.4P / 4.4EGhz -  MSI Pro-A Wifi Z790 Mobo DDR5 - 32GB Ram - Gigabyte RTX 4090 - 1TB Samsung 990Pro NVMe - Corsair HX1200i PSU - Dual Custom Loop Cooling - GPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface S240 + EK Quantum Surface P360M X-Flow Rads - CPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface X360M Rad

Living Room PC - Hyte Y60 - Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5Ghz -  MSI Meg Ace Z390 Mobo - 16GB Ram - Palit RTX 3080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - Corsair AX850 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with Hyte Y60 Corner Distro Plate - EK Coolstream S120 + EK Quantum Surface S360 + EK Quantum Surface X240M

Extension PC - Lian Li o11 Dynamic - Intel Core i7 8086k @ 5.1Ghz -  Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA RTX 2080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EKWB 360 Rads + G1 side EKWB distro plate.

Office - Thermaltake Tower 100 - Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.1Ghz - Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 1080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EK Quantum Surface P120M Rads + Barrow 3-in-1 Block, Res & Pump.

Annex - Corsair 250D - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77 I Delux Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980ti - 256GB Corsair SSD - BeQuiet P11 750 PSU - CPU cooled with EK Coolstream S240 + S120 Rads + EK Pump / Res Combo

Office - Corsair 280X - Intel Core i7 4790k - Asrock H97M ITX Mobo  - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980 - Corsair SFXL600 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with triple EK Coolstream S240s + EK Pump / Res Combo

NAS PC - Fractal Node 804 - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77-M Mobo - 16GB Ram - MSI GTX 1660 Ventus - Corsair AX850 PSU - Unraid 15TB Storage Server

Living Room AV Setup 5.1.4 - Yamaha RX-A2060 - 2 x B&W CM9s2 - 2 x Monitor Audio FX Silvers - 4 x B&W CCM665s - B&W CMCs2 - SVS SB13 Ultra - LG OLED65C1

Extension AV Setup - Sonos ARC + Sub (Gen 3) - LG OLED65C6V + Yamaha RX-A1070 - 5 x Monitor Audio C265s (2 Zones)

Bedroom AV Setup - Yamaha WXC-50 - 2 x B&W CM1s - Rel Quake - LG OLED42C2.

27 minutes ago, ChrisLoudon said:

Hi buddy,

My Plex server stores all of my media files in their original format and I transcode 'on-demand' based on the player that's being used.

If I'm watching a 4K Bluray on one of my home TVs or PCs then there's no tanscoding required but if I'm watching something on a tablet or phone, then it will transcode as necessary.

I haven't used Jellyfin but from what I understand its pretty much the same as plex.

I don't think there is any need to transcode anything ahead of time unless it it is likely you will need to fall back on a transcoded copy of a file most of the time.

My Plex server uses an old i7 3770K to run the bowels and GTX1650 for on-the-fly transcoding and I have no issues. GPU is dirt cheap and doesn't even require supplemental PCIe power.

If you need more streams to be transcoded simultaneously (large family accessing at the same time) then get your hands on an old Quadro from eBay.

Thanks for your input!

What you said makes sense, so it could be worth getting a GPU for on-the-fly transcoding as you say.

The issue for me right now is that all of my files are mp4's and they're MASSIVE. The current effort is converting them to mkv h265 for minimal CPU transcoding when it's required, and also to reduce the file sizes. For reference, converting a 40GB MP4 to an MKV reduced the file size to 24GB, it really adds up for me, especially with a large number of files.

I can't say this isn't entirely my fault to begin with, when I was adding media way back when I thought "oh let's use mp4, no transcoding required for any devices!", little did I know that I would run into storage issues. For reference, I only have 6TB of storage, which I am looking to upgrade sometime soon.

What quadro might I be looking at for this? I really have no experience in this area!

Main PC [ CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D with H150i ELITE CAPPELIX  GPU Nvidia 3090 FE  MBD ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A  RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB@5600MHz  PSU HX1000i  Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic  Monitor LG UltraGear 1440p 32" Nano IPS@180Hz  Keyboard Keychron Q6 with Kailh Box Switch Jade  Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight  Microphone Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter & GoXLR ]

Server [ CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G  GPU Intel ARC A380  RAM Corsair VEGEANCE LPX 64GB  Storage 16TB EXOS ]

16 minutes ago, Zalosath said:

Thanks for your input!

No worries.

My advice would be to always TRY and keep your media files stored in their original format (where possible). I'm only saying this as a home cinema enthusiast so as screen sizes go up and prices go down, what looked great on a 55" might start to look a bit blocky on a 65... 77.... you get the point.

If you start reducing file size and quality at source then you might run into quality issues at some point down the line. That being said, H265 is pretty damn good. On another note, if (like me) you are a bit of an audiophile then the container you use is quite important. MP4 doesn't support Dolby TrueHD whereas MKV or M2TS does. Just something to be mindful of.

If you want to compare transcoding capabilities of pretty much every GPU on the market, have a look at this link:

As a final thought, physical media is on the way out so having your media stored in the highest bitrate with the best audio format possible is definitely going to pay dividends. Netflix, Amazon et-al use highly compressed video streams and max out with Dolby Digital Plus audio streams. They may decide to increase bitrates and add lossless audio codecs but I doubt that will happen any time soon.  

Bedroom PC - Lian-Li O11 XL Evo - Intel Core i5 13600k @ 5.4P / 4.4EGhz -  MSI Pro-A Wifi Z790 Mobo DDR5 - 32GB Ram - Gigabyte RTX 4090 - 1TB Samsung 990Pro NVMe - Corsair HX1200i PSU - Dual Custom Loop Cooling - GPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface S240 + EK Quantum Surface P360M X-Flow Rads - CPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface X360M Rad

Living Room PC - Hyte Y60 - Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5Ghz -  MSI Meg Ace Z390 Mobo - 16GB Ram - Palit RTX 3080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - Corsair AX850 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with Hyte Y60 Corner Distro Plate - EK Coolstream S120 + EK Quantum Surface S360 + EK Quantum Surface X240M

Extension PC - Lian Li o11 Dynamic - Intel Core i7 8086k @ 5.1Ghz -  Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA RTX 2080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EKWB 360 Rads + G1 side EKWB distro plate.

Office - Thermaltake Tower 100 - Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.1Ghz - Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 1080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EK Quantum Surface P120M Rads + Barrow 3-in-1 Block, Res & Pump.

Annex - Corsair 250D - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77 I Delux Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980ti - 256GB Corsair SSD - BeQuiet P11 750 PSU - CPU cooled with EK Coolstream S240 + S120 Rads + EK Pump / Res Combo

Office - Corsair 280X - Intel Core i7 4790k - Asrock H97M ITX Mobo  - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980 - Corsair SFXL600 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with triple EK Coolstream S240s + EK Pump / Res Combo

NAS PC - Fractal Node 804 - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77-M Mobo - 16GB Ram - MSI GTX 1660 Ventus - Corsair AX850 PSU - Unraid 15TB Storage Server

Living Room AV Setup 5.1.4 - Yamaha RX-A2060 - 2 x B&W CM9s2 - 2 x Monitor Audio FX Silvers - 4 x B&W CCM665s - B&W CMCs2 - SVS SB13 Ultra - LG OLED65C1

Extension AV Setup - Sonos ARC + Sub (Gen 3) - LG OLED65C6V + Yamaha RX-A1070 - 5 x Monitor Audio C265s (2 Zones)

1 hour ago, ChrisLoudon said:

No worries.

Great, thanks. I'll look into two things:

- Getting a GPU for on-the-fly transcoding

- Upgrading storage capacity to store the higher quality files

Thanks for your help!

FYI: Went with a Quadro P4000, let's see how it does!

22 hours ago, ChrisLoudon said:

No worries.

Out of interest, how big are your movie files? Mine are between 30 and 80GB, which is about 200 movies stored on a 16TB HDD worst case. Do you do any form of encoding on them to get them down, or just keep adding more storage?

48 minutes ago, Zalosath said:

Out of interest, how big are your movie files? Mine are between 30 and 80GB, which is about 200 movies stored on a 16TB HDD worst case. Do you do any form of encoding on them to get them down, or just keep adding more storage?

Hi Buddy,

Nice one on the Quadro. Its not my area of expertise but I've seen others mention the P4000 as a good choice for Plex usage.

With regards to my media files, its pretty much my Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray collection ripped. The bulk of the files are in MKVs containing the usual VC1 or HEVC video stream alongside the original audio but I do have some m2ts files as well. I also have some old avi files for TV episodes but the bulk of my movies are all around the 50 - 80GB mark.

My NAS / Plex server is based on Unraid which is a neat solution as it allows for me to add storage and not be constrained by using Hard Disks of the same size and it has good redundnacy allowing up to 2 drive failures. As a backend its also pretty powerful as it runs docker containers so I have my storage solution running natively, with PLEX, Pi-Hole, OpenVPN and NZBGet running in docker containers. I also have a Ubuntu VM ready to spool up if I ever get really bored and want to tinker with Linux.

As previously mentioned, I'll always try and keep the file in its original format or at least the audio and video streams contained unaltered so yeh, I just add storage or delete files as required.

42 minutes ago, ChrisLoudon said:

Hi Buddy,

Nice one on the Quadro. Its not my area of expertise but I've seen others mention the P4000 as a good choice for Plex usage.

With regards to my media files, its pretty much my Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray collection ripped. The bulk of the files are in MKVs containing the usual VC1 or HEVC video stream alongside the original audio but I do have some m2ts files as well. I also have some old avi files for TV episodes but the bulk of my movies are all around the 50 - 80GB mark.

My NAS / Plex server is based on Unraid which is a neat solution as it allows for me to add storage and not be constrained by using Hard Disks of the same size and it has good redundnacy allowing up to 2 drive failures. As a backend its also pretty powerful as it runs docker containers so I have my storage solution running natively, with PLEX, Pi-Hole, OpenVPN and NZBGet running in docker containers. I also have a Ubuntu VM ready to spool up if I ever get really bored and want to tinker with Linux.

As previously mentioned, I'll always try and keep the file in its original format or at least the audio and video streams contained unaltered so yeh, I just add storage or delete files as required.

Hi,

Great thank you! I'm already running on Ubuntu with lots of stuff setup, it would be a massive pain to switch to unraid now, something I'll no doubt live to regret.

Thanks for clarifying the file size, I was wondering if I was going overkill with them!