why does my gpu temperature change much more gradually than cpu?

aren332

My gpu temp slowly climbs to its max temperature, unlike my cpu,  which goes near its max temperature in seconds.

My cpu is a 4790k @4.8 ghz @1.29v with a bequite dark rock pro 4, during a stress test, it goes up to like 75c in a second and then very very slowly climbs until it reaches about 80c.

My gpu is a deshrouded evga ko rtx 2060 also overclocked which climbs slowly to about 76c while playing games.

The thing is that both the gpu and cpu reach their max temp in stress tests/games in about the same time.

Is this because my 2060 has "direct die" cooling unlike my cpu?

Will my cpu temps climb very gradually just like my gpu if i delid it with liquid metal?

3 minutes ago, aren332 said:

Is this because my 2060 has "direct die" cooling unlike my cpu?

Partially, but mostly because the 2060 just has a larger die for the same power draw, so it's easier for the heat to get out of the GPU. Also games aren't a static load like CPU stress tests are, and varying loads do translate into temps going up more gradually. 

5 minutes ago, aren332 said:

Will my cpu temps climb very gradually just like my gpu if i delid it with liquid metal?

Probably, though your temps are low enough that LM shouldn't really be necessary. Your chip is likely near the limits, and I'd only bother with higher voltage if you were going to raise the voltage to 1.4V and go for 5GHz (performance wise this isn't really worth it though). 

4 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Your chip is likely near the limits, and I'd only bother with higher voltage if you were going to raise the voltage to 1.4V and go for 5GHz (performance wise this isn't really worth it though). 

you think 1.35v 4.9ghz will be safe for  24/7 usage? how about 1.4v and 5ghz, is that safe? I bought this cpu used about a year ago, and ran it undervolted for most of the time until i got a z97 motherboard. I plan to use this cpu for 2-3 more years, not more since itll be too old

@aren332

GPUs always give out less heat than CPUs even at the same power draw. CPUs are smaller and denser than GPUs and probably have a micro-architecture which outputs more heat. GPUs might have more power draw but it is just spread across a lot of small cores which output very less heat.

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

10 minutes ago, aren332 said:

you think 1.35v 4.9ghz will be safe for  24/7 usage? how about 1.4v and 5ghz, is that safe? I bought this cpu used about a year ago, and ran it undervolted for most of the time until i got a z97 motherboard. I plan to use this cpu for 2-3 more years, not more since itll be too old

From what I know, 1.4V is safe for long term use on Haswell, so it should be fine as long as temps are OK. It's just there's no way you'd actually notice a difference from 4.8 to 5GHz, so why bother? Put that money you'd spend on LM (that stuff isn't cheap) either towards games to play or for your future upgrade. 

41 minutes ago, aren332 said:

My gpu temp slowly climbs to its max temperature, unlike my cpu,  which goes near its max temperature in seconds.

My cpu is a 4790k @4.8 ghz @1.29v with a bequite dark rock pro 4, during a stress test, it goes up to like 75c in a second and then very very slowly climbs until it reaches about 80c.

My gpu is a deshrouded evga ko rtx 2060 also overclocked which climbs slowly to about 76c while playing games.

Different power density and load distribution and chip size means it will vary wildly. You can't really compare them.

Every 100Mhz Might get you up to 2%

I'd just leave it at 4.8 to be honest.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

9 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

From what I know, 1.4V is safe for long term use on Haswell, so it should be fine as long as temps are OK. It's just there's no way you'd actually notice a difference from 4.8 to 5GHz, so why bother? Put that money you'd spend on LM (that stuff isn't cheap) either towards games to play or for your future upgrade. 

5ghz is a higher number, idc about the performance, im having more fun just pushing this cpu to its max limits while being safe to use 24/7 since i dont got another cpu