Switching (maybe) to non-root android

Hello,

For a long time rooted device user i would like (for different reasons) to switch to non-rooted phone (it will be s10e or mb pixel). But I do not know if alternative solution exists for some functions:

• Essential:
    • Advanced charging control - enable/disable fast charge (charger agnostic), limit max charge (f.ex to 85%)
    • System-wide adblocker what does not relay on vpn functionality (to run alongside of vpn, if needed)
    • Firewall
  • Desirable:
    • System-wide on-demand file access
    • 3rd party permissions manager app and advanced permission management (in-settings list is limited)
    • Custom gps position for apps (without access to real position)

If some of that list can be made in twrp, prior to system boot, it is fine.

Does someone have similar experience, found some solutions?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Asrock AB350 ITX - 64GB DDR4-3600MHz - Geforce GTX 1080 - Samsung 960Pro - Monsterlabo's "The First" - Corsair SF450

So I have to ask, if you are already going to unlock the bootloader, and install a custom recovery, why not root? It will make these tasks much easier.

Without root, you will fail safety net (kind of who cares now), and fail play integrity (kind of still meh who cares to me, but maybe you will?)? 

I mean with TRWP, you could load a host file by mounting the system, that would block ads globally. Charging control, can tweaked with some kernels, and sometimes configuration files depending on the device. Firewalls without root, typically act more like VPNs last I checked, but I've never really needed one.

43 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

So I have to ask, if you are already going to unlock the bootloader, and install a custom recovery, why not root? It will make these tasks much easier.

I struggle with some bank apps and trip reservation apps refuse to work on rooted phone despite magicks hide use

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Asrock AB350 ITX - 64GB DDR4-3600MHz - Geforce GTX 1080 - Samsung 960Pro - Monsterlabo's "The First" - Corsair SF450

12 hours ago, Nord1ing said:

I struggle with some bank apps and trip reservation apps refuse to work on rooted phone despite magicks hide use

Are you sure you won't still struggle? Many apps that are that picky, are likely to throw a fit just about the unlocked bootloader anyways. You may want to test this theory before you get too deep into making your life difficult. 

I take it you are also you the rest of the tricks like play integrity module and such as well, as generally magisk hide alone is not enough these days.

19 hours ago, Nord1ing said:

Hey there. I used to be a privacy driven root junkie like you, back in the xprivacy days. Could not keep it up because I'm too busy with work/family these days to wrangle with all the workarounds and inconveniences of root based solution. 

However there ways to get back most of the control you want without root.

1. For charging control, most phones these days should have a battery protection option, although you cant set a custom limit. With Samsung, the limit is 85%, and through Samsung's routines app, you can automate when to enable/disable fast charging (for example triggered by wired or wireless charging, or by time). The only other brand I can confirm to have charging limit is Sony's xperia lineup.

2. For system-wide adblocker I use Rethink which uses a local hosted VPN that allows routing of traffic through real VPN. Options include wireguard, orbot, socks5 and https connect proxies. It lets you use Rethink DNS which is user configurable DNS with a myriad of blocklists like NextDNS, but with less detailed options. You can also set your own DNS, including NextDNS, through DoH/DNScrypt/DNS proxy if you dont like the default DNS options.

You can choose which apps to route through VPN. You can choose which to completely bypass Rethink. You can block internet access on a per-app basis. You can set IP/port and DNS rules on a per-app basis (only line by line, you cannot set block lists per app) You can also isolate traffic per-app and monitor network logs by app and device wide.

3. For your desirables like advanced file access, permissions management, and GPS control, I have yet to delve into non-root options (I dont see a need for myself currently) however you can look into shizuku apps which access system APIs directly without needing root, allowing them to do things that regular apps cannot. Search "github awesome-shizuku" perhaps an advanced charging control app is available that I am not aware of.

I use MiXplorer for file access, I find it sufficient without requiring root or shizuku. Maybe give it a go.

I hope you find this info useful. Keep up the fight for your privacy 🙂