How to control PC from different rooms?

Hi! So, I want to have my gaming PC running on my office (one of the rooms in my house) while at the same time being able to use it from the living room (plugged to a tv) and my bedroom (on a different monitor).

I have all 3 rooms connected with ethernet cable and my idea was tu use a HDMI KVM I found on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/product/B099F2T3MS/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ALXO6XP10HK6H&th=1
It basically connects a transmiter to my PC using usb and then uses the ethernet cable to connect to a receiver. The receiver has HDMI out put and USB ports for mouse / keyboard.

I wanted to know if this is a good idea, or maybe there's a better way to do this using the existing ethernet cable I have setup?

The goal is to be able to game on the living room and on my bedroom (just in case there's people on the office).

Why would there be people in your office when you are not in there? That makes very little sense. Other then that i would heavily recommend AGAINST doing stuff like this. Keep your Office/gaming room separate from the bedroom. One Its a pain in the ass to route all that cabling and actually get it to work.. Makes more sense if you are building the house, but if its already done its pretty much a nope.

Other things to consider, Remote access! You can def do that, just dont play games that require low latency.

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

Why would there be people in your office when you are not in there? That makes very little sense. Other then that i would heavily recommend AGAINST doing stuff like this. Keep your Office/gaming room separate from the bedroom. One Its a pain in the ass to route all that cabling and actually get it to work.. Makes more sense if you are building the house, but if its already done its pretty much a nope.

Other things to consider, Remote access! You can def do that, just dont play games that require low latency.

Thanks for the response! There are 3 people living in the same house, and we all work remotely, so It's not too rare to have people working while the rest are not.  Also, all the rooms are already connected via ethernet cable. We're moving to this new house and I had the chance to do the routing already, so that's no issue, and I already tried remote access, I used steam remote play and it worked.. just okay, I tried it with an nvidia shield but it stoped working so I tried with a dedicated PC just for streaming, but yeah, not the best. 

So what I'm trying to figure out right now is, given that the rooms are connected already using ethernet cable, would my idea to use that KVM extender work? or is there something better? (again, with the knowledge that the rooms are already connected with ethernet)

32 minutes ago, rmena said:

Hi! So, I want to have my gaming PC running on my office (one of the rooms in my house) while at the same time being able to use it from the living room (plugged to a tv) and my bedroom (on a different monitor).

I have all 3 rooms connected with ethernet cable and my idea was tu use a HDMI KVM I found on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/product/B099F2T3MS/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ALXO6XP10HK6H&th=1
It basically connects a transmiter to my PC using usb and then uses the ethernet cable to connect to a receiver. The receiver has HDMI out put and USB ports for mouse / keyboard.

I wanted to know if this is a good idea, or maybe there's a better way to do this using the existing ethernet cable I have setup?

The goal is to be able to game on the living room and on my bedroom (just in case there's people on the office).

Only other way I can think to do it is use a super cheap PC to remote access the gaming PC and stream it.

3 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Only other way I can think to do it is use a super cheap PC to remote access the gaming PC and stream it.

yeah, I already tried that, not great tbh 😕 waaaay too much latency from time to time, but what about the option I'm mentioning? does it sound good? haha

As someone who has their gaming PC running as a headless server 90% of the time and access it through Moonlight/Sunshine to play games, i see no reason why streaming isn't viable. there is maybe only a 1-7ms delay according to the network stats (depending on the client computer) which i cannot notice at all. but i also don't play multiplayer games, or twitch shooters so the latency is not something i care about at all.

31 minutes ago, rmena said:

yeah, I already tried that, not great tbh 😕 waaaay too much latency from time to time, but what about the option I'm mentioning? does it sound good? haha

In LAN latency issues? What software did you use?
Try Parsec

1 hour ago, rmena said:

I wouldn't buy that just from reading the 1st few lines of the product name/description:
image.png.ad7279464f24bacd4d20a55c7db301b0.png
Lossless is pure BS.

image.png.e59f84d9c4c01eb915163eb30f12fd39.png

Even if they are pushing way outside of the cat5e/cat6 spec and managing to get 10Gbps... that will not be 4k 60 without lossy compression.

PS always look at the "negative" reviews
image.thumb.png.53336b6bcb22d28c0cf33faf0bf49cbd.png

And this dude which gave it 4 stars?
image.thumb.png.24a3a9848a55adf00fc23f456e489736.png
Like I said, BS on the lossless.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

10 hours ago, rmena said:

No. Never use a KVM unless those machines are in the same room. If you need to remote into a Windows PC, use RDP. If you need to remote into a Mac, use VNC. You can also use VNC inside a Windows session.

But if you want to game, no solution is reasonable. Linus can do what he does because the machines aren't in a location that is secured, he doesn't try to access them from multiple rooms.

IP KVM's exist, but they are high latency and low resolution. They are meant for administrating servers, not playing games. Sure, you can if you buy certain devices, but you have to realize that you're basically compressing 3 gbits of video (1080p60) into something the ethernet can tolerate (eg 1-3mbits) as as remote session without taking into account the context of the content to be able to compress it. VNC transmits tiles, RDP transmits tiles. 

But RDP doesn't invoke the GPU. So you can't play a game over RDP.

Those transmitters and receivers that convert HDMI to ethernet, are using h.262/h.263/h.264/h.265 or some other proprietary codec that otherwise operates the same way. They're not high end low-latency encoders and decoders. Those transcoders are not broadcast quality, they are meant for CCTV/Security systems and multicast (think about those rows of TV and computer screens's in bestbuy), where it's not important to interact in real time with.

Anyway, the general problem is you want to do something that you shouldn't be doing. If you want to have the computers in another room so you have no noise, yeah... you can-kinda-sorta do what Linus did with fiber transceivers .

Like this:

image.png.633804b5b042f8c8b1d3b201ef1fe0da.png

You can get away with this, but this is very expensive without planning in advance. You can't move the computers once you install such things. The USB is a separate solution.

At any rate ethernet is only viable if you accept high latency, low resolution, or complex software.

we need a virtual desktop but not vr so it could broad cast to different devices

wd-40 is god there is no other god than wd-40 wd-40 is the solution to all problems

Hey all! Thanks a lot for your answers, I did some deep digging about this stuff. I read about HDBaseT extender and such, I did end up ordering one just to try it out, I'll see how bad's the latency and if it works at all. If it doesn't work then I will see a way to get a dedicated streaming client, like an nvidia shield or a mini PC and hopefully with wifi6 it will run smoothly. 

Thanks a lot!

Use something like parsec to stream it to another screen 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

If you want three users to simultaneously use the computer (a single system, as far as this is concerned), you would need some form of virtual machine. unless some form of virtual desktop

RDP (not necessarily Microsoft's implementation) over ethernet is pretty performant for non-gaming/video things.

This is about your best bet without some extensive messing around.

If you want to game on one PC while not being around it, any solution is likely going to involve long cables.

What? You have ethernet?

HDBaseT extenders (like the one you chose) exist but they aren't cheap and they aren't exactly "high performance". You are not going to get 4K 120 any time soon, though something like 1440p 90 might be manageable.

However, the one you chose is almost certainly garbage.

I am not recommending them, but StarTech have some .. interesting choices. They aren't exactly cheap, but you can bet that they will work.