HWInfo and sub-ambient CPU temps - what's going on???

RevGAM

I released a video the other day because I decided to test out the Thermalright BCF (aka contact frame aka anti-bending frame aka the frame that's better than TG's and Arctic's) in the vain hope that my silicon-lottery-losing 12700k would become cooler. Not only did it make no real difference, but I saw temperatures that were 1-6 degrees BELOW ambient on certain cores during certain tests, especially Superposition.

Suspecting the Akasa FC.Trio of having bad thermocouple results, I tried my Zalman FC, my oven probe, and my anemometer. The anemometer (unsurprisingly, given how cheap it was) showed a much higher temperature, but the other two devices were within 1 degree of the Akasa. So, while it's still possible, it's unlikely that all 3 devices were wrong.

Here is the data. Please note that all the CPU data is from the CPU sensors, not the mobo, if I haven't sorely misunderstood HWInfo64. The scores (in light blue) are from the respective benchmarks, although the Time Spy columns are a bit confusing, I suppose. The CPU Avg rows are derived from the average of all the cores.

image.thumb.png.3c5bb9beb9396b73a05e5e91adec6946.png

My very elaborate question is: WTF? I mean, really, is HWInfo at fault, or maybe the CPU sensors?

BTW, I checked the paste spread a few times and it was fine even though I didn't use a spreader. I used the TR TF7 TIM and the TR Frozen Notte 360 with an overpowered Everflow R121232BUAF FB1232BU 120mm,  133.91 CFM, 6.03 mmAq, 3000 RPM fan for exhaust. My system is in my profile if anyone's curious to know more (although the fans and cooler are not what's shown there, and there are more drives now).

I can also provide screenshots at the end of every test showing the sensors in HWInfo, including the CPU temps from the mobo.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂