Is it legal and viable to sell flashdrives with batocera installed ?

VirusDumb

So I've been seeing these things for sale on a lot of sites like Amazon?

Basically a bootable flash drive with batocera installed in them, I've been seeing these being sold for 4x the price of a normal pendrive price here in India,

Is it legal? And is it viable to do as a side hustle? (Kinda feels like a scam)

11 minutes ago, VirusDumb said:

Is it legal?

There's nothing inherently illegal about emulators, but ROMs (and the BIOS images some emulators need to work) are an entirely different matter. The overwhelming majority of ROMs out there, for every platform, are pirated commercial software. (There are exceptions like homebrew games, the demoscene, and games that have been open sourced or released as freeware by their developers, but that's a drop in the bucket.)

I don't know the laws in India, but in the United States it is absolutely not legal to distribute them, never mind sell them. They just crop up faster than the intellectual properly lawyers and sales platforms can take them down.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

I don't know the laws in India, but in the United States it is absolutely not legal to distribute them, never mind sell them. They just crop up faster than the intellectual properly lawyers and sales platforms can take them down.

The only anti-piracy related law here is the cinematography law which states recording of movies in cinema hall is a punishable offence 

20 minutes ago, VirusDumb said:

The only anti-piracy related law here is the cinematography law which states recording of movies in cinema hall is a punishable offence 

I'm sure the enforcement is virtually nil but the statutes are there https://copyright.gov.in/