At my wits end! New PC build, 3 monitor set up, 1 monitor goes black and unresponsive randomly, but pc still recognizes it... wtf!?

Go to solution Solved by OddOod,

Honestly my guess is that the monitor is just dying. Something inside is breaking. Might be time to upgrade

Ok, so I've seen a few similar threads, but no definitive answer...

Built this pc only weeks ago with brand new parts, did all the usual set up, updated BIOS, installed drivers etc... all working fine, then the first time I have the system running 3 monitors for more than 5 minutes, main monitor goes black.

Odd part is, the pc still recognised the monitor as connected, the other 2 monitors still acted as though the display extended to the 1st monitor, and the 1st monitor was still shown in display settings.

When it happens, the monitor's power button doesn't do anything, it remains lit (in white as though it's awake, instead of amber as though it was asleep) and the only way to get it running again is to disconnect the monitor's power and then reconnect.

I've been troubleshooting for 2 days straight, attempts as follows:

• Restarted

• Unplugged and restarted

• Swapped cables (same monitor went black)

• Updated BIOS

• Windows update

• Checked event log (nothing significant)

• Tested monitor with another pc

• Sfc test (no issues)

• Memtest diagnostic (no errors)

• DDU then clean driver install

• EC reset

Haven't had any luck; the screen blacks out anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours after a boot, no consistency. I've run the pc with task manager and other monitoring software open to try and spot CPU, GPU and RAM performance at the time of a black out, but nothing significant there... CPU temps average about 65°C and GPU about 55°C from what I've seen.

Curiously, I had no issues when only 2 monitors were connected, but my GPU should be able to handle 4!

Hardware:

• Asus Pro Art X670e creator wifi Ryzen 9 7900x (BIOS Versionm 1904)
  • AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX
  • G Skill Trident z5 2x 32Gb DDR5 4800MHz
  • Be Quiet 1000W PSU

• HP 23xi monitors x3
  • DP to HDMI cables x2
  • HDMI to HDMI cable x1

If someone has a fix, I will be forever grateful!

Welcome to the forums!

Always the same monitor does make it sound like the monitor is being funky. Something to try would be to drop the refresh rate on the monitor (Display > advanced display settings > refresh rate. make sure the correct monitor is selected)

It's not 100% clear to me, but have you tried both a converter cable and a straight HDMI cable? I assume you've tried shuffling the cables between the monitors and the GPU ports. 

One thing to attempt would be trying to boot a linux liveusb and see if it really isn't the OS

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

58 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Welcome to the forums!

Always the same monitor does make it sound like the monitor is being funky. Something to try would be to drop the refresh rate on the monitor (Display > advanced display settings > refresh rate. make sure the correct monitor is selected)

It's not 100% clear to me, but have you tried both a converter cable and a straight HDMI cable? I assume you've tried shuffling the cables between the monitors and the GPU ports. 

One thing to attempt would be trying to boot a linux liveusb and see if it really isn't the OS

Hi, thanks for the suggestions.

I've tried both the converter cable and the straight hdmi, same issue.

Tried reducing the refresh rate (these are only 60Hz max monitors as it is) and no luck.

At this point I have to assume it's this specific monitor, and not the pc (which is somewhat good news), so I will give 1 last test. I'll run the monitor all day tomorrow with my laptop. If it works, then I have to conclude that there's an issue with my GPU in combination with the monitor, if I have the same issue, then it's the monitor alone.

Someone suggested it may just be the fact that I'm using old monitors... I checked and the drivers weren't designed for Windows 11, however, 2 out of 3 of these monitors have been working perfectly fine with my system.

Honestly my guess is that the monitor is just dying. Something inside is breaking. Might be time to upgrade

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

9 hours ago, OddOod said:

Ran that final test today... same result with a different pc.

Only conclusion is that the monitor is indeed dying. Checked the manufacture date and apparently it came off the assembly line in December 2012! The other 2 in April 2013 and February 2014...

Looks like I might as well upgrade now, because I'll probably be replacing all of them over the next 12 months.

Thanks for the help.