Deliding and Cooling an i7 7820x, How Does it Work?

Maplez

Hello, I'm currently using an i7 7820x CPU, and I noticed that it seems like the thermal compound between the CPU die, and IHS has degraded, so I decided to buy an X299 CPU delider and X299 delid Die Guard, but I have no clue how to use them(?)

Am I able to just put the CPU in the delider, remove the IHS and put the CPU into the motherboard with the delid guard and mount any cooler like normal?

I also do plan to upgrade to an i9 7980xe so I'd like to figure out how deliding works (?) before I buy a delided i9 7980xe

Other Important stuff
CPU cooler: Thermalright Frozen Notte 360

Motherboard: ASUS TUF X299 Mark 2
Delid Guard: ICE X299 Delid Die Guard

ya you remove the ihs then remove the cpu mount and screw on the gard but dont put the finger in the socket...🤦‍♂️

if you didnt not but the his remover there one on ammaozn the cheap and works.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

57 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya you remove the ihs then remove the cpu mount and screw on the gard but dont put the finger in the socket...🤦‍♂️

if you didnt not but the his remover there one on ammaozn the cheap and works.

So do I need a specialized Cooler or can I just put the delided CPU in, attach the delid guard and then mount a normal cooler?

3 minutes ago, Maplez said:

So do I need a specialized Cooler or can I just put the delided CPU in, attach the delid guard and then mount a normal cooler?

you just mount the cooler as normal i do beleave

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

2 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

you just mount the cooler as normal i do beleave

The cpu cooler in not making contact with the CPU die... I have to use a thermal pad as a temporary solution but my CPU keeps hitting 99C

7 hours ago, Maplez said:

The cpu cooler in not making contact with the CPU die... I have to use a thermal pad as a temporary solution but my CPU keeps hitting 99C

The thermal pad needs to be the same thickness as the IHS, if not slightly thicker. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

8 hours ago, Maplez said:

if u use a pad the reason for delidding is  out the window

1 hour ago, NorKris said:

So do you suggest a different cooler?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

26 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

So do you suggest a different cooler?

Ofc, otherwise there is no reason to delid 😛 

7 hours ago, NorKris said:

I know that, the cpu cooler wouldnt reach the CPU die.

5 hours ago, NorKris said:

I don't want to spend 200 dollars on a new 360mm AIO when I already have a 360mm AIO

8 hours ago, NorKris said:

Well, can you suggest one that will work but isn't expensive?

I found some spare motherboard standoffs and used those; now I can use thermal paste. Sadly, my good thermal paste ran out, and the Corsair Tm30 "performance thermal paste" is anything but "performance thermal paste".

6 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Well, can you suggest one that will work but isn't expensive?

i dont know (yet) what cooler will work, the cooler as to touch the chips but clear the holding mechanism. 

i have a x299 board but not a delidded  cpu 😕