Dell R430 Fan speed after installing GPU??

So I just added a gt 710 to my server, now the fans are a little louder than they were before. Can dell servers change fan speeds based on how many devices you have installed such as RAM, CPUs, or GPUs? I'm still new to the homelab stuff.

3 minutes ago, otacon19 said:

So I just added a gt 710 to my server, now the fans are a little louder than they were before. Can dell servers change fan speeds based on how many devices you have installed such as RAM, CPUs, or GPUs? I'm still new to the homelab stuff.

GPU probably just is creating more heat in the case I would assume, making the need for faster fan speed.

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

7 minutes ago, otacon19 said:

Yes they can. Especially if it is not a dell part.

The platform management detects a third party PCIe card, and ramps the fans up a little more aggressively to make sure it stays cool.

You can disable that by poking iDRAC using ipmitool. Dell's official instructions tell you to install their management suite, but all you really need is ipmitool by itself.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000135682/how-to-disable-the-third-party-pcie-card-default-cooling-response-on-poweredge-13g-servers

You have to have IPMI over LAN enabled, either shared on one of the mezzanine network card ports or the dedicated iDRAC port. You can set the username and password to whatever you want from the F12 boot menu, but the default is root/calvin.

Spoiler

ENABLE/DISABLE Third-Party PCIe card based default system fan response: 
Download and install OpenManage BMC Utility.
Enable the "IPMI over LAN" in iDRAC of the target machine, this can ben done via iDRAC Web GUI or BIOS Setup.

Go to the installation folder of OpenManage BMC Utility, run the following commands:

Set Third-Party PCIe Card Default Cooling Response Logic To Disabled
ipmitool -I lanplus -H <IPADDRESS> -U <USERNAME> -P <PASSWORD> raw 0x30 0xce 0x00 0x16 0x05 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x05 0x00 0x01 0x00 0x00 

Set Third-Party PCIe Card Default Cooling Response Logic To Enabled
ipmitool -I lanplus -H <IPADDRESS> -U <USERNAME> -P <PASSWORD> raw 0x30 0xce 0x00 0x16 0x05 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x05 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 

Get Third-Party PCIe Card Default Cooling Response Logic Status
ipmitool -I lanplus -H <IPADDRESS> -U <USERNAME> -P <PASSWORD> raw 0x30 0xce 0x01 0x16 0x05 0x00 0x00 0x00 

The response data is:
16 05 00 00 00 05 00 01 00 00 (Disabled)
16 05 00 00 00 05 00 00 00 00 (Enabled)

(I have multiple PowerEdge R730s.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.