Ports Remain Closed after Port Forwarding

JesterTechStuff
Go to solution Solved by Falcon1986,
23 minutes ago, JesterTechStuff said:

I called my ISP and they said something about how they handle their network and that I should get a static IP, but port forwarding has worked completely fine in the past with a dynamic IP.

And your ISP isn't using CG-NAT?

Look at the status page of the Gigaspire and the WAN IP address. If it's within the 100.64.0.0-100.127.255.255 range, then you're behind CG-NAT, which means you won't get port forwarding to work in the usual way.

Hey all,

My ports remain closed after forwarding. Windows firewall settings aren't blocking the server I'm trying to host, nor is Windows Defender interfering with anything. I tried on my Linux laptop as well to no avail. I've ensured the IPv4 address is correct, I know the port is correct and the game servers are running properly. Yet for some reason, the ports for every server I used to run will not open. The router is a GigaSpire GS4220E.

I called my ISP and they said something about how they handle their network and that I should get a static IP, but port forwarding has worked completely fine in the past with a dynamic IP. I've run various servers and friends have been able to connect, but recently things aren't working. I also haven't changed the router settings other than removing and adding ports since the time my servers were working, though the public IP recently changed on its own.

Attached is an image of one of the ports I'm trying to forward, the others are similarly configured and again didn't have any issues until today.

Untitled-2.png.0278189d96377e4eb4090cb05a26915e.png

23 minutes ago, JesterTechStuff said:

I called my ISP and they said something about how they handle their network and that I should get a static IP, but port forwarding has worked completely fine in the past with a dynamic IP.

Look at the status page of the Gigaspire and the WAN IP address. If it's within the 100.64.0.0-100.127.255.255 range, then you're behind CG-NAT, which means you won't get port forwarding to work in the usual way.

10 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Yep, 100.64 is the beginning. That explains it, thank you. Is there something I can do on my end to make it work?

My ISP just told me that they swapped how they route their network on Wednesday and implemented CGNAT as a result. A static IP seems to be the only solution from they said. 

1 hour ago, JesterTechStuff said:

Yep, 100.64 is the beginning. That explains it, thank you. Is there something I can do on my end to make it work?

My ISP just told me that they swapped how they route their network on Wednesday and implemented CGNAT as a result. A static IP seems to be the only solution from they said. 

Th ISP putting you on the public network (likely what they mean by static IP) is indeed the only option, unless you want to pay for some sort of tunnelling service or hacking one together yourself using a cheap VPS.  The static IP option is likely cheaper and definitely easier.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

8 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Th ISP putting you on the public network (likely what they mean by static IP) is indeed the only option, unless you want to pay for some sort of tunnelling service or hacking one together yourself using a cheap VPS.  The static IP option is likely cheaper and definitely easier.

Thanks. I appreciate the answers from you and Falcon. It seems the static IP is included with our bundle if we want it but the sales team can be picky about but I’ll give them a call.

2 hours ago, JesterTechStuff said:

Thanks. I appreciate the answers from you and Falcon. It seems the static IP is included with our bundle if we want it but the sales team can be picky about but I’ll give them a call.

That's fortunate, it seems a lot of ISPs are basically switching to CG-NAT and not offering static public IP addresses at all, except perhaps for business broadband.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7