I need a psu rating

4eyeguy
Go to solution Solved by --SID--,

BM2 is pretty decent but if the BM3 is about the same price that would be your best buy.

should I get the Corsair cx 550, the thermaltake smart bm3(650w), thermaltake smart bx1(650w), the thermaltake tr2(600w), or the thermaltake toughpower gx2(600w)?

I am not concerned with wattage though it would be nice to be 600+ and more so with which of these is the best quality and least likely to fry components.

Thanks!

First rule: unless specifically budget-constrained, avoid anything under Gold rating.

By that metric, only the GX2 would bear consideration.

I'd refer you to the PSU tier list and PcPartPicker if you wish to lookup other options in the same budget range and check their rankings.

1 minute ago, Aleph256 said:

avoid anything under Gold rating.

The tier list that you linked has the CX550 (assuming its not the 2021 revision) in the B tier while the toughpower GX2 is in C tier. I recommend not focusing on the gold rating cause there are plenty of shoddy gold rated units.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, Aleph256 said:

First rule: unless specifically budget-constrained, avoid anything under Gold rating.

By that metric, only the GX2 would bear consideration.

I'd refer you to the PSU tier list and PcPartPicker if you wish to lookup other options in the same budget range and check their rankings.

The gold rating is just an efficiency rating and has nothing to do with the actual quality of the PSU. ( That being said, most quality PSU's run 80+ gold or plat )

Plenty of absolute terrible PSU's with Gold rating however.
You did link to the PSU tier list and this is a good one, just dont trust the 80+ rating for quality alone.

6 hours ago, 4eyeguy said:

Corsair cx 550

Which CX550? The 2023 model is terrible. It's a relabled CV550 with group regulated platform so this can't be better than Tier D.

7 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Which CX550? The 2023 model is terrible. It's a relabled CV550 with group regulated platform so this can't be better than Tier D.

It’s 2023 but is it still okay?

19 minutes ago, 4eyeguy said:

It’s 2023 but is it still okay?

No

14 hours ago, 4eyeguy said:

thermaltake smart bm3

This one is decent. There can't be much wrong with ATX3.0 PSUs.

5 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

No

This one is decent. There can't be much wrong with ATX3.0 PSUs.

What about the bm2?

BM2 is pretty decent but if the BM3 is about the same price that would be your best buy.