Problem accessing data folder from PC for piano tuning app (tunelab) on phone (Pixel 6a)

Hi all,

TLDR: Having trouble accessing, from my PC, the data folder for a specific app on my Android 14 phone.  Need to transfer data from an older device (Android 7), I was able to copy that data to my PC.  Folder access does work on another Android 14 phone but not on mine, and tests on my phone (per instruction from app author) confirm the folder does exist.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Please forgive the lack of formatting, as I’m posting this on a couple different forums (a PC / tech forum, and a piano forum) and don’t feel like bothering with any type of UBB or HTML code or whatever.  (Also I hope cross-posting to different forums is okay.)

Anyway, I have some piano tuning software (Tunelab) that I purchased for my phone (Google Pixel 6a), and would like to import some saved data from an older phone (Moto G4 Play) that I had also used the software on a few times.

I should note that the older phone is running Android 7, and the newer phone is running Android 14.  Somewhere in between, there was a change in how Android organizes user app data.  On the old phone, the files were in a “tunelab” subdirectory under the root folder, but on the new phone, they’re supposed to be in Android\Data\com.realtimespecialties.tunelab or something like that.

I was able to get the files from the old phone and save them to my PC (Windows 10 22H2), but, when I plug the new phone into the PC via USB, that com.realtimespecialties.tunelab folder does not show up, although quite a few other folders do show up from other apps.

I contacted the creator of the program and he had me test a couple things (one of which was using an internal tool to copy from a backup and overwrite a file, then check to see if it did it properly),  and that worked, telling us that the folder in question does exist on the phone.  (Also trying to manually create the folder on the phone from the PC doesn’t work either.)

I also temporarily installed the app on my dad’s Pixel 8 Pro (also running Android 14), and on that one I was able to see the folder from my desktop PC.  Also I plugged my phone into my older laptop (WIndows 10 1909, update is broken, thinks not enough space to update even though it’s on a 4TB SSD), and the com.realtimespecialties.tunelab folder doesn’t show up there either.

I also tried uninstalling an reinstalling the app on my Pixel 6a, and that didn’t work either.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the data files from the older phone imported to the newer one?  I really don’t want to go back to using the old phone for that software, also my (paid) license is tied to the new phone anyway (for now, that is, it is transferable if I get a new phone in the future but that’s not planned until after support / updates end for the Pixel 6a, or later).

Also the creator of the app does have an option for dropbox integration, but I don’t have any dropbox account set up.