Can mesh APs connect to router via MoCA splitter, or must APs be downstream of main AP?

Go to solution Solved by NobleGamer,

The answer is Yes, all other APs do not have to be downstream from the main AP.

On 2/13/2024 at 12:26 PM, NobleGamer said:

Would things operate normally to move the main AP to a different room on the same Coax splitter as the other APs, such that the APs would no longer be downstream from the main AP?

On 2/16/2024 at 7:55 PM, Falcon1986 said:

Well, Asus's AiMesh is a unique mesh system. Wouldn't be surprised if newer generations of AiMesh can interconnect like this.

How I confirmed this: I had to temporarily move my primary ISP modem to the basement, where there is no AP. So the topography is now this: One ISP modem > Edgerouter-X -> Ethernet switch -> MoCA Adapter -> 1:4 coax splitter (two goes to MoCAs for other APs) -> A main and secondary AP for each of two rooms.

For my mesh hardware, the main AP (SD4R) must be accessible by the other APs for those other APs to work.

I have an ASUS Zen WiFi Mini AX mesh system that is configured in Access Point mode, so it is not acting as a router, as I have that wired to an Edgerouter-X for QoS and ISP failover.

This mesh system consists of one device (model SD4R) that has two ethernet ports (WAN/LAN and LAN), and two other devices (model SD4N) that has a single LAN ethernet port.

If I need to make a config change, it is done by connecting to the SD4R, which here I will call the the "main AP".

Currently, my networking flow is (see full explanation here) Two ISP modems > Edgerouter-X -> Main AP (SD4R) -> MoCA Adapter -> 1:4 coax splitter (one with a terminator cap, one goes to MoCA for ethernet switch, two goes to MoCA for other APs) -> One SD4N AP for each room.

NobleGamerNetworkLayout-Feb2024.jpg.00ef

I will be evaluating whether there really needs to be the main AP (SD4R) in the same room as the router because the next closest AP is just one room away.  So the room with the router may already have solid 5 GHz reception without its own AP.

So, I was wondering: Would things operate normally to move the main AP to a different room on the same Coax splitter as the other APs, such that the APs would no longer be downstream from the main AP?

That would result in the following updated networking flow: Two ISP modems > Edgerouter-X -> MoCA Adapter -> 1:4 coax splitter (one goes to main AP, one goes to MoCA for ethernet switch, two goes to MoCA for other APs) -> One SD4R/SD4N AP for each room.

What have I checked and why am I posting this?

• I read the ASUS manual, and its "wired connection" diagram shows putting the other APs downstream from the main one.  However, it does not say whether this is required for certain or all configurations (such as Access Point)
  • I searched for other posts on these forums, and there was one regarding a similar question about having some APs on MoCA and some not, but that was a different layout - So I'm not entirely confident that the same thing applies to my situation or even my manufacturer.
  • Why don't I just try it on my own?  Well that would take a considerable amount of time to get the main AP in another room, and I think it would be helpful to have an up front answer for the community or even the internet's sake since...
  • ASUS doesn't have a community/forum that fits this wifi product or all their products.  They have specific forums for ROG and even ZenPhone, but not ASUS products in general.

Also, bonus points to anyone that can tell me how I can connect reliably connect to my ScreenBeam MoCA adapters directly so that I can see signal related stats.  I've tried connecting the device directly to the ethernet port of my PC and using whatever IP the directions told me to connect to, but a page for the device doesn't load at all.

@NobleGamer

I was of the understanding that once you configure the Asus mesh units in AP mode, they can all be independently wired to a switch/router via their WAN ports. The wired/wireless backhaul via AiMesh, on the other hand, requires a “wheel-and-spoke” configuration.

Quoted from DongKnows.com:

So let's say you have an existing router and three AiMesh nodes. You first set up the AiMesh system the standard way, using a double NAT. After that, from within the web interface of the primary unit, change the whole mesh system into the AP mode.

Now you can connect all three units' WAN ports to the existing gateway (or a switch.)

8 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

once you configure the Asus mesh units in AP mode, they can all be independently wired to a switch/router via their WAN ports

8 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

The wired/wireless backhaul via AiMesh, on the other hand, requires a “wheel-and-spoke” configuration.

What DongKnows.com says makes sense and seems to align with your first statement.

However, does your second statement only apply to when the mesh system is in router mode and not AP?

Its confusing because AI Mesh as I understand it is simply the means of connecting the mesh nodes to each other (via wired or wireless), and it's mutually exclusive of whether the whole system is configured in router or AP mode.

Your statement only applying to router mode might be supported by this FAQ article from ASUS, but the question is phrased about connecting "routers" and does not cover AP versus router mode.

7 hours ago, NobleGamer said:

Its confusing because AI Mesh as I understand it is simply the means of connecting the mesh nodes to each other (via wired or wireless), and it's mutually exclusive of whether the whole system is configured in router or AP mode.

My understanding is that AiMesh is designed to work in router mode specifically, whether you choose to have it on wired or wireless backhaul.

Configure the system in AP mode and you might lose mesh. You're essentially turning it into a distributed system of APs.

As per the site you referenced...

In the default state, the AiMesh system establishes the connection between the router and the nodes through wireless, but it is also possible to flexibly change the connection between the AiMesh router and the nodes to a wired connection only according to your usage environment.

AiMesh has gone through different generations, so newer versions might be able to provide mesh even in AP mode, even if as backup. You might have to test and see.

3 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

My understanding is that AiMesh is designed to work in router mode specifically, whether you choose to have it on wired or wireless backhaul.

Configure the system in AP mode and you might lose mesh. You're essentially turning it into a distributed system of APs.

I already have the whole system configured in AP mode, and the last time I disconnected one of the nodes from a wired connection that went to the main AP device's LAN only port, that physically disconnected node auto connects via wifi to the nearest AP node.

So no, I know from experience that configuring the system in AP mode doesn't lose mesh functionality as far as I can tell.

Hence:

11 hours ago, NobleGamer said:

AI Mesh as I understand it is simply the means of connecting the mesh nodes to each other (via wired or wireless), and it's mutually exclusive of whether the whole system is configured in router or AP mode.

The only unknown to me is whether the mesh functionality in AP mode is also dependent upon hub & spoke topology, just like the AiMesh FAQ on connecting other "routers" and my manual's example of wired connectivity - In other words, is mesh in AP mode wholly dependent on a wireless path that connects directly to main node or a wired path that ultimately makes it to the LAN only port.

Absent someone else who has tested this with all 3 aspects of the configuration:

• ASUS hardware that supports AIMesh
  • With AP only mode
  • The distributed topography, instead of hub & spoke

...it looks like I will just have to test it for myself when I have time to move & test the physical connections + hardware necessary.  At least this post can serve as one place that clearly explains when 1-2 of these apply, and what AIMesh is & is not - Thanks.

On 2/15/2024 at 10:09 AM, NobleGamer said:

So no, I know from experience that configuring the system in AP mode doesn't lose mesh functionality as far as I can tell.

Interesting.

In other words, is mesh in AP mode wholly dependent on a wireless path that connects directly to main node or a wired path that ultimately makes it to the LAN only port.

Well, Asus's AiMesh is a unique mesh system. Wouldn't be surprised if newer generations of AiMesh can interconnect like this.

...it looks like I will just have to test it for myself when I have time to move & test the physical connections + hardware necessary.

Agreed.

• 3 weeks later...

The answer is Yes, all other APs do not have to be downstream from the main AP.

On 2/13/2024 at 12:26 PM, NobleGamer said:

Would things operate normally to move the main AP to a different room on the same Coax splitter as the other APs, such that the APs would no longer be downstream from the main AP?

On 2/16/2024 at 7:55 PM, Falcon1986 said:

How I confirmed this: I had to temporarily move my primary ISP modem to the basement, where there is no AP. So the topography is now this: One ISP modem > Edgerouter-X -> Ethernet switch -> MoCA Adapter -> 1:4 coax splitter (two goes to MoCAs for other APs) -> A main and secondary AP for each of two rooms.

For my mesh hardware, the main AP (SD4R) must be accessible by the other APs for those other APs to work.