Upgrading GPU with a 550W PSU. Any recommendations/advice?

Go to solution Solved by leclod,

I'd just buy the gpu, undervolt it and save 1/4 power.

Forget about overclocking which is very bad powerwise while not very good performancewise.

And you should be fine as long as you've got sufficient airflow.

So as i said in the title I'm about to do an upgrade on my PC but i only have an XFX XTR 550w Gold PSU (Was "Tier A" when i bought it like 4-5 Years ago not sure about now).

Current specs are listed here (CPU-Z: https://valid.x86.fr/lh33b9) but in summary i have Undervolted and Overclocked the following parts. CPU(5600X) GPU(1070TI EVGA Ultra Silent FTW) RAM(2x8GB Trident Z DDR4 3600MHz cl18) 

If you need more details just let me know.

So question is should i buy first a GPU(Probably Used one) and after 2-3 months a PSU or the other way around? I'm thinking about buying a 3070/ti/super (Which ever is around 300euro at the time)

I've checked on PSU Calculator and all my parts(Overclocked) with a 3070 at 100% TDP is around 450W which means i have a headroom of 100W. 

Preferably i would like the GPU first but i can get the PSU and wait 1-2 months if that makes things right. Is it too much for my PSU to handle? Should I undo all the overclock and keep the undervolt in order to have more headroom if i get the GPU first? If you have any other GPU in mind feel free to let me know.

I'd just buy the gpu, undervolt it and save 1/4 power.

Forget about overclocking which is very bad powerwise while not very good performancewise.

And you should be fine as long as you've got sufficient airflow.

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.