Server Website

Mr.Swiss0364

Hello, not sure if this is the correct forum..

So I have a home hosted server PC and it is running Ubuntu server, And in the image that is what it says, how do i go about making or obtaining a proxy server?

I want to host a small website for my server with a simple store page, so little traffic, and it just hosts (I have the website ready, just need to host).

Any ideas on how I can do that 

image.png

You don't need to enter that.

To make your server accessible from the outside world you just need to forward the ports in your router  so that any request coming in is routed to the server inside your network.  You have an IP address that you're visible on the Internet with (ex hit https://ping.eu  and it will tell you the internet ip address) and your computers in the network have local IP addresses (ex 192.168.0.1 , 0.2, etc etc ) ... you need to configure in the router so that anything coming to your exterior ip address on let's say port 80 (unencrypted http) should go to local ip address 192.168.0.x  port 80

You're not supposed to host websites from your home connection, most home internet plans will have some wording against that. Also, you can't set up email servers o your home connection because the IP classes given to home users are by default blacklisted and can't be used to host email servers.

There are a few obstacles to hosting a public website behind a residential Internet connection:

- Most ISPs block unsolicited incoming traffic on ports 80 and 443. You'll need to use different ports on the public side, then either set your web server to use those ports or set up port forwarding so the incoming traffic on the ports you're using gets forwarded to 80 and 443.

- It's usually against the terms of service, so if they catch you they might send you a C&D and threaten to cut your service off, or migrate you to a (much more expensive) business plan.

- You most likely don't have a fixed public IP address, so you'll need a dynamic DNS service to make sure you're always accessible. (Or you'll have to manually update your IP with your registrar any time it changes.)

Are you already running this PC 24/7, and who pays the electric bill? It might actually work out cheaper to just get a shared hosting instance from a web host, or run a small instance with a host like Oracle Cloud, DigitalOcean, or Linode.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

58 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

so you'll need a dynamic DNS service to make sure you're always accessible

To be fair, most decent registrars offer some type of Dynamic DNS services. Quite easy to set-up on my namecheap domains. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

You don't need to enter that.

You should though. Never expose your direct IP to the internet when hosting a website. You should always use a proxy service like cloudflare even for small tools like this.

Realistically though I'd suggest getting a cheap VPS with a static IP to avoid the headaches of home hosting. Don't have to worry about uptime or getting your home IP ddosed.

Just now, Brian McKee said:

You should though. Never expose your direct IP to the internet when hosting a website. You should always use a proxy service like cloudflare even for small tools like this.

Realistically though I'd suggest getting a cheap VPS with a static IP to avoid the headaches of home hosting. Don't have to worry about uptime or getting your home IP ddosed.

This has nothing to do with a proxy for hosting a site though.

This is completely and only for accessing the Ubuntu update service and internet via a proxy, ie if you're on a corporate network that proxies everything and doesn't allow direct internet access.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

This has nothing to do with a proxy for hosting a site though.

This is completely and only for accessing the Ubuntu update service and internet via a proxy, ie if you're on a corporate network that proxies everything and doesn't allow direct internet access.

Sorry misread my bad.

1 minute ago, Brian McKee said:

Sorry misread my bad.

All good, in this case I wanted to provide context for that the prompt OP was asking about 🙂

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: