Does using 'Secure Erase' on SSD's kill the drive slowly everytime?

I remember reading a few years ago about how SSD's can only rewrite a number of times and cannot last indefinitely (essentially) like a HDD.

So let's say I have a 1GB file on a 250GB SSD and use a secure erase feature to permanently delete the file. 

-Would this mean that if I did this 250 times, the SSD would eventually be bricked? 

-If no, but it would still wear out the drive a little, are there any alternative methods to permanently delete a file on an SSD without it wearing?

For example, couldn't I just use the 'Cut' and 'Paste' feature, by moving the desired file(s) from the SSD to a HDD and then secure erase them whilst they are sitting on the HDD, since the HDD wouldn't suffer from wear?

-Also, does degradation issue of SSDs differ between SATA and NVME SSDs?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 16-core 5950X

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 2 AIO 360mm Radiator

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz CL16

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 MSI Ventus 3X 16GB GDDR6X

Storage OS: 500GB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Storage Misc: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200 RPM

PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000W 80+

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

What exact secure earse feature are you using? The drive has a secure erase feature often that will wipe the whole drive, but this is for the whole drive, not for files. 

If its a program in windows/linux thats just for a specific file, it will count towards writes. 

Generally don't worry about writes on a SSD, they will handles way more writes than there rated for. 

Both NVMe and SATA drives have the same write limits.

16 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What exact secure earse feature are you using? The drive has a secure erase feature often that will wipe the whole drive, but this is for the whole drive, not for files. 

If its a program in windows/linux thats just for a specific file, it will count towards writes. 

Generally don't worry about writes on a SSD, they will handles way more writes than there rated for. 

Both NVMe and SATA drives have the same write limits.

It is a secure delete option in my anti-virus (Kaspersky), but I can do it straight from Windows and right-click on individual files and the option is there via the AV.

I think CC Cleaner has an option to do it as well, but it is for the whole drive only.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 16-core 5950X

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 2 AIO 360mm Radiator

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz CL16

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 MSI Ventus 3X 16GB GDDR6X

Storage OS: 500GB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Storage Misc: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200 RPM

PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000W 80+

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

Just now, Actual_Criminal said:

It is a secure delete option in my anti-virus (Kaspersky), but I can do it straight from Windows and right-click on individual files and the option is there via the AV.

I think CC Cleaner has an option to do it as well, but it is for the whole drive only.

That secure earse is basically writing over the file and adds to writes. But then for almost all uses, SSD writes won't matter.

39 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

43 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

That secure earse is basically writing over the file and adds to writes. But then for almost all uses, SSD writes won't matter.

You should know the secure delete of individual files works with HDDs, but it doesn't work with SSDs because SSDs spread writes evenly over the NAND memory to avoid premature failure. Each part of NAND memory can only be written to a limited number of times compared to how many times a particular sector that an HDD can be written to.

Therefore, any attempt to overwrite a file on an SSD just results in the write happening elsewhere within the NAND. The only way to guarantee a secure erase is to do one of the entire SSD, absent some kind of specific tool from the SSD maker (which I don't think exists).

There's a more in depth explanation of why all this is true here: https://superuser.com/questions/22238/how-to-securely-delete-files-stored-on-a-ssd

3 minutes ago, NobleGamer said:

You should know the secure delete of individual files works with HDDs, but it doesn't work with SSDs because SSDs spread writes evenly over the NAND memory to avoid premature failure. Each part of NAND memory can only be written to a limited number of times compared to how many times a particular sector that an HDD can be written to.

I wouldn't say this doesn't work for SSD. It makes the file not accessible using normal tools, as the data isn't in the user visible space of the drive. And the cells the data was in are not going to be easily able to fetch in the correct order, and likely the cells would be erased soon in a background task. Maybe possible to get the file with some data recovery, but gonna be much harder than if the file was delete normally(and trim hasn't run yet).

But if deleting files securely is a big issue, just encrypt the drive, then its basically all deleted if someone doesn't have the key.

21 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

But if deleting files securely is a big issue, just encrypt the drive, then its basically all deleted if someone doesn't have the key.

The is the answer for securing SSD files and their deletions.

22 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I wouldn't say this doesn't work for SSD.

Well I wouldn't believe a claim that secure erase DOES in fact overwrite the specific cells that were written to when the way SSDs do that is independent of OS level instructions.

I otherwise agree that running TRIM can certainly help drastically decrease chance of recovering deleted data because it is a hardware level operation that basically wipes the cells of data that was previously marked as deletion.

OP please wait for someone else to reconcile or refute the specific facts about how an SSD works (like in my prior linked resource) before relying on file-by-file secure erase.

What kind of „secure erase” are we talking about? 

the ata secure erase command, send on to the SSD will erase all data on whole SSD ( it should return all NAND memory cells, to a empty state ) it not writing anything to nand, and is healthier for nand, then formatting it. 

But after secure erase, to use SSD you need to initiate it, and format it in some file system, so it will count as 1 P/E cycle for nand

ps. And yes, secure erase is the only method of securely erasing data  from SSD.  Even rewriting it, can leave couple percent of data behind.

as for encryption and just deleting it, well it depends, that data will be there, just not visible. trim command can help, but it's hard to verify if it did.

Spoiler
CPU : Intel 14gen i7-14700K
COOLER :  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White + thermaltake toughfan 12 white + Thermal Grizzly - CPU Contact Frame Intel 13./14. +  Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor @GPU 2050MHz Mem 8200MHz -> USB C 10Gb/s cable 2m -> Unitek 4x USB HUB 10 Gb/s (Y-HB08003)
MOBO : MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY
RAM :  Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) 6400 MHz CL32 (CMK64GX5M2B6400C32)
SSD : Intel Optane 905P 960GB U.2 (OS) + 2 x WD SN850X 4TB + 2 x PNY CS3140 2TB + ASM2824 PCIe switch -> 4 x Plextor M8PeG 1TB + flexiDOCK MB014SP-B -> Crucial MX500 2TB + GoodRam Iridium PRO 960GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
HDD : WD White 18TB WD180EDFZ + SATA port multiplier adp6st0-j05 (JMB575) ->  WD Gold 8TB WD8002FRYZ + WD Gold 4TB WD4002FYYZ + WD Red PRO 4TB WD4001FFSX + WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
EXTERNAL
HDD/SSD : 
XT-XINTE LM906 (JMS583) -> Plextor M8PeG 1TB + WD My Passport slim 1TB + LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 1TB USB-C + Zalman ZM-VE350 -> Goodram IRDM PRO 240GB
PSU :  Super Flower leadex platinum 750 W biały -> Bitfenix alchemy extensions białe/białe + AsiaHorse 16AWG White 
UPS :  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 8 -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 10
LCD :  LG 32UD59-B + LG flatron IPS236 -> Silverstone SST-ARM11BC
CASE :  Fractal R5 Biały + Lian Li BZ-H06A srebrny + 6 x Thermaltake toughfan 14 white + Thermalright TL-B8W
SPEAKERS :  Aune S6 Pro -> Topping PA3-B -> Polk S20e black -> Monoprice stand 16250
HEADPHONES :  TOSLINK 2m -> Aune S6 Pro -> 2 x Monoprice Premier 1.8m 16AWG 3-pin XLR -> Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 -> 4-pin XLR na 2 x 3.5mm 16 cores OCC 2m Cable -> HiFiMAN Edition XS -> sheepskin pads + 4-pin XLR na 2 x 2.5mm ABLET silver 2m  Cable -> Monoprice Monolith M1060 + Brainwavz HM100 -> Brainwavz sheepskin oval pads + Wooden double Ɪ Stand + Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK -> sheepskin pads + Multibrackets MB1893 + Sennheiser Momentum 3 +  Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 + JBL J88 White
MIC :  Tonor TC30 -> Mozos SB38
KEYBOARD : Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent (EU) + Glorious PC Gaming Race Stealth Slim - Full Size Black + PQI MyLockey
MOUSE :  Logitech MX ERGO + 2 x Logitech MX Performance + Logitech G Pro wireless + Logitech G Pro Gaming -> Hotline Games 2.0 Plus + Corsair MM500 3xl + Corsair MM300 Extended + Razer goliathus control
CONTROLLERS :  Microsoft xbox series x controller pc (1VA-00002) -> brainwavz audio Controller Holder UGC2 + Microsoft xbox 360 wireless black + Ravcore Javelin
NET :  Intel x520-DA2 -> 2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT + 2 x ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
NAS :  Qnap TS-932X-2G -> Noctua NF-P14s redux 1200 PWM -> Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (HX424S14IB/16) -> 9 x Crucial MX500 2TB ->  2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT -> 2 x Digitus (DK-HD2533-05/3)