PC not booting to windows

Demiize_og

Hi All, I am having issues with my PC not booting into windows. I suspect maybe my boot SSD or mobo are faulty. Here's what is happening and what I've done:

• Initially when powering on my PC the screen was just black for 1-2 mins and it would just boot straight to the bios, multiple restarts and same issue. During this time the VGA debug LED was lit on my mobo, despite the display working fine.
  • I checked all internal connections and removed and reinstalled the RAM.
  • Upon booting it was just a black screen with the DRAM debug LED now lit on my mobo
  • I removed the RAM from slots 2 and 4 and put in slots 1 and 3. I also removed the CMOS battery for 5 mins and reinstalled
  • PC started booting and came up with the generic message saying the RAM was in unoptimised slots (when putting the RAM back into slots 2 and 4 it still has the DRAM debug LED lit, RAM only seems to work in slots 1 and 3 now). It didn't boot to bios after skipping this message. It just says on the screen "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".
  • I booted off my windows 10 installation disk and ran chkdsk C: /F /R. After running overnight it showed "Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems"

This is where I am at now. Any ideas on what could be the issue? Thanks.

Specs:

Mobo: MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: Radeon RX 5700

RAM: Gskill tridentZ DDR4-3200 16GB x2

Boot drive: Samsung 860 Evo 2.5" sata SSD

PSU: CORSAIR RM650X V2 650W 80PLUS GOLD

All components are about 4.5 years old except RAM which is about 2 years old.

On 2/8/2024 at 7:35 PM, covid19king1 said:

Have you tried the drive in another system?

I just tried this and it is not working in other systems, but the boot drive from other systems is working in my PC. I guess this confirms the SSD is dead or at least windows is corrupted? Is there any saving this drive or is a fresh install of windows needed on a new drive? 

When booted to bios, does it detect the drive? Also, when plugged in to another pc using it as a secondary drive can it be detected?

44 minutes ago, rheyL said:

When booted to bios, does it detect the drive? Also, when plugged in to another pc using it as a secondary drive can it be detected?

Yes, drive is showing up in the bios. I have also just tried running the diskpart and then list volume command in the windows recovery environment on my PC and the drive does not show up there. I'm not sure how to use it as a secondary drive on another PC. When plugging it into another PC that already has a functioning boot drive it won't start up. I tried allowing the PC to start up before plugging in my drive and it isn't showing up.

30 minutes ago, Demiize_og said:

Yes, drive is showing up in the bios. I have also just tried running the diskpart and then list volume command in the windows recovery environment on my PC and the drive does not show up there. I'm not sure how to use it as a secondary drive on another PC. When plugging it into another PC that already has a functioning boot drive it won't start up. I tried allowing the PC to start up before plugging in my drive and it isn't showing up.

Using it as a secondary drive, just plug it in a working pc with os, then boot to bios, navigate to boot manager or boot sequence then boot from the working drive with os.

As you are booted to Windows, go to disk management, there is a big chance that your drive has been corrupted or in unallocated. Because it is detected in the bios, meaning it is still working.

Weird that diskpart didn't detect the drive...

10 hours ago, rheyL said:

Using it as a secondary drive, just plug it in a working pc with os, then boot to bios, navigate to boot manager or boot sequence then boot from the working drive with os.

As you are booted to Windows, go to disk management, there is a big chance that your drive has been corrupted or in unallocated. Because it is detected in the bios, meaning it is still working.

Weird that diskpart didn't detect the drive...

In disk management it is not showing up. I can see disk 1, which I assume is my drive (refer to photo). When I click on initialise it says "a device which does not exist was specified"

20240210_103601.thumb.jpg.89cd03a34460edf94a3a515d83618645.jpg

2 hours ago, Demiize_og said:

In disk management it is not showing up. I can see disk 1, which I assume is my drive (refer to photo). When I click on initialise it says "a device which does not exist was specified"

20240210_103601.thumb.jpg.89cd03a34460edf94a3a515d83618645.jpg

So it can't be initialize... I see, but it can be detected,  i guess the ssd's controller has been damage. Are there important files in it?

1 hour ago, rheyL said:

So it can't be initialize... I see, but it can be detected,  i guess the ssd's controller has been damage. Are there important files in it?

Nah, I don't think there's anything important on it. Mostly just game files on it. More so annoying tbh. 4.5 years seems like a short lifespan for an SSD, right?

2 hours ago, Demiize_og said:

Nah, I don't think there's anything important on it. Mostly just game files on it. More so annoying tbh. 4.5 years seems like a short lifespan for an SSD, right?

Yeah, is it a 500GB ssd? It's quite disappointing because it came from a reputable brand of ssd. 

Have you tried claiming for warranty?

https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/support/warranty/

It is stated that 5years in there website. Just give it a try, it might go through 😀

17 hours ago, rheyL said:

Yeah, is it a 500GB ssd? It's quite disappointing because it came from a reputable brand of ssd. 

Have you tried claiming for warranty?

https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/support/warranty/

It is stated that 5years in there website. Just give it a try, it might go through 😀

Yep, 500GB SSD. I will give the warranty claim a go. Thanks for the help.