XFX RX 6700 10GB overclocking

Monster_King

I wanted to try and overclock my 6700 just for fun and realized that both AMD's own software and MSI Afterburner don't allow the card to go above 2800Mhz with the sliders. Any way to remove this limit? I had HWiNFO open while running unigine superposition at 2800Mhz and the temps never hit above 70°C so it can't be thermal limited, and I also noticed that it never hit above 158W so there should be plenty of power budget left since it has 2x 8pin connectors on it. 

Try MorePowerTool or MoreClockTool

https://www.igorslab.de/neue-version-des-morepowertools-mpt-und-finale-des-redbioseditors-rbe-zum-download/

IIRC, the power is limited to 160w in BIOS. You can increase it with MPT.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

28 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Try MorePowerTool or MoreClockTool

https://www.igorslab.de/neue-version-des-morepowertools-mpt-und-finale-des-redbioseditors-rbe-zum-download/

IIRC, the power is limited to 160w in BIOS. You can increase it with MPT.

Welp, that broke the AMD software completely so it doesn't even launch, and Afterburner has all of the sliders grayed out now.

36 minutes ago, Monster_King said:

I wanted to try and overclock my 6700 just for fun and realized that both AMD's own software and MSI Afterburner don't allow the card to go above 2800Mhz with the sliders. Any way to remove this limit? I had HWiNFO open while running unigine superposition at 2800Mhz and the temps never hit above 70°C so it can't be thermal limited, and I also noticed that it never hit above 158W so there should be plenty of power budget left since it has 2x 8pin connectors on it. 

You get more performance on AMD cards by undervolting.

The clock speed slider is irrelevent its just a max boost limit , I suspect you won't reach 2800mhz regardless.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

The cards basically boost to the max they can. Pretty much auto oc.

If you can get em to run cooler than their 85c limit use less power through undervolting they will automatically start running faster since they now are under their temp/power limit again.

13 minutes ago, Monster_King said:

Welp, that broke the AMD software completely so it doesn't even launch, and Afterburner has all of the sliders grayed out now.

The max clock is driver locked so MPT wont work, you can revert it back to fix the issues it caused. 

There are some tricks you can fool the driver with. 

For example you can set the min voltage to be higher than the max voltage to avoid the driver lock. 

9 minutes ago, Bagzie said:

You get more performance on AMD cards by undervolting.

The clock speed slider is irrelevent its just a max boost limit , I suspect you won't reach 2800mhz regardless.

Yeah it reached 2750 and stayed there with 1110mV so I also think it won't go higher.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The cards basically boost to the max they can. Pretty much auto oc.

If you can get em to run cooler than their 85c limit use less power through undervolting they will automatically start running faster since they now are under their temp/power limit again.

I've never seen it go above 75° with that overbuilt cooler so I think it's already boosting as high as it can.

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

The max clock is driver locked so MPT wont work, you can revert it back to fix the issues it caused. 

There are some tricks you can fool the driver with. 

For example you can set the min voltage to be higher than the max voltage to avoid the driver lock. 

I think I'll just leave it at 1110mV and play around with my older RX 570 instead because that card seems to have a lot more overclocking potential in it.

Thanks y'all for the help!

30 minutes ago, Monster_King said:

I think I'll just leave it at 1110mV and play around with my older RX 570 instead because that card seems to have a lot more overclocking potential in it.

Thanks y'all for the help!

You can also OC VRAM, SOC and FCLK with the MPT on RX 6700 and also use tighter timings for VRAM (if you set them to lvl 2 and set Fast timings in Afterburner).