Powering 11 HDD & 2 SSD, what's the appropriate Power Supply?

Tomas_04

The TL;DR Question:
What is the appropriate PSU for a DIY Home NAS which stores 11 HDD & 2 SSD?
Additional Question:
What should I look for when searching the appropriate PSU? please enlighten me馃檹

-----------------------------------C O N T E X T-----------------------------------

Recently I've bought a new HDD, and also a new Case because the old case cannot store all my hard drives. The new case comes with 11 HDD Bays and I plan to populate all the bays for a future DIY Home NAS. This video from Linus inspired me to make my own NAS.聽

the problem is my current motherboard can only connect 6 SATA Devices, I already have 3 HDD & 2 SSD.聽since I have no knowledge about the appropriate Hardware to make a NAS, I plan to follow the way he's building it. Connecting every HDD to a LSI Logic 16port. for the system I plan to use an old Low Powered i7 with other misc. hardware I already have laying around.

The only aspect that confused me is how did he power all 20 HDD with a Corsair HX750? the spec sheet on the website only list 16 SATA Power Cables. Can I use a cheaper power supply to power All these HDD? I don't need a extra high wattage PSU, maybe I'll target something like 550W. The reason is Price, and also because maybe I don't need more Wattage. using an online PSU Calculator, the total wattage for my target build of 11 HDD is only 430W (https://outervision.com/b/v9xPFJ).聽 Below i have listed a couple of PSU that i plan to buy (i'm in the Indonesian Market). an maybe i'll buy used (if it's safe).

here are some additional question that i have:

1. do I need 80+ Platinum certified PSU? can I use a 80+ Bronze certified PSU?
2. can I use every Peripheral&SATA Modular Connector to only plug in SATA?

3. for modular PSU? what should I avoid / look after?

--------------------------------------P A R T S--------------------------------------
PSU Options I plan to buy.:
1. USED 750W
CORSAIR CX750M-75-002019聽(https://tokopedia.link/DjJThIJfWGb)
2. USED 620W SEASONIC SS-620GM Active PFC F3 (https://tokopedia.link/DnDk7QsgWGb)

3. NEW 550W MasterWatt 550 Modular (https://tokopedia.link/BqvhEfSgWGb)

below are components which i have bought:
Case = Infinity INF-C13 (https://tokopedia.link/93wVbVufWGb)
CPU = Intel Core i7 4770T
RAM = 16GB (https://tokopedia.link/GRIPbHlgWGb)
GPU = NVIDIA GT 720聽

SSD = 480GB Klevv Neo N400 x2 (https://tokopedia.link/ICwZYvZfWGb)

HDD = currently 3TB HDD x3, will change for brand new 11 HDD in the future.

You could, for example, use something like this (Be careful with Molex though, they are not made to be unplugged many times, I've experienced poor contact).

S636fa038476940a1b9c95e567afe74a0S.webp

HTB1kVG2h13tHKVjSZSgq6x4QFXaq.webp

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

You start by buying a modular power supply with lots of Peripheral/ Sata headers , or you use two power supplies.

For example Corsair RM 850 White聽 has 5 sata/pata headers as you can see in the picture below

You can custom order cables that have 4 sata connectors per cable, so in total you could have 20 sata drives. or use supplied ones and maybe supplement with a custom one or two.

Note though that a power supply provides a limited amount of current on 5v and 3.3v, something like 20A on each voltage and in total聽 a maximum of 120-150w

A hard drive usually consumes around 0.5 to 0.75A from 5v, and around 0.5A on 12v (a bit more at spin up for a few seconds, up to 2-3A)

So 16 drives ... you can assume around 10A of

image.png.d14eb7893f1186fb9654fb5ede6e0450.png

26 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You start by buying a modular power supply with lots of Peripheral/ Sata headers , or you use two power supplies.

For example Corsair RM 850 White聽 has 5 sata/pata headers as you can see in the picture below

You can custom order cables that have 4 sata connectors per cable, so in total you could have 20 sata drives. or use supplied ones and maybe supplement with a custom one or two.

Note though that a power supply provides a limited amount of current on 5v and 3.3v, something like 20A on each voltage and in total聽 a maximum of 120-150w

A hard drive usually consumes around 0.5 to 0.75A from 5v, and around 0.5A on 12v (a bit more at spin up for a few seconds, up to 2-3A)

So 16 drives ... you can assume around 10A of

image.png.d14eb7893f1186fb9654fb5ede6e0450.png

interesting.. maybe I remembered it wrong, but i remembered Linus say not to use two power supplies in the Scrapyard Wars Series?
here's the total A for the target build. so i need a PSU which can supply 21.3A 142W on 5V?

image.png.db7d8fd67de15f3584ba27e7445d073b.png
also i don't know what does A does in a PSU. should i treat it like Watts? (making sure it's not under the number?)

Edited by Tomas_04
added more words.

37 minutes ago, Tomas_04 said:

interesting.. maybe I remembered it wrong, but i remembered Linus say not to use two power supplies in the Scrapyard Wars Series?
here's the total A for the target build. so i need a PSU which can supply 21.3A 142W on 5V?

also i don't know what does A does in a PSU. should i treat it like Watts? (making sure it's not under the number?)

A is amps. V is volts W is watts

Watts = V x A

Amps is sort of like the capacity of the power available. You want the PSU to be able to supply more amps than you need. The drives will only use what they need, not what is available.

Volts聽 (v)聽 , Current (A)聽 , Power (W)聽聽聽

Power (W or Watts)聽 = Voltage (V) x Current (A)

I was talking STRICTLY about the hard drive power consumption.

A hard drive consumes a bit of power from 5v (for the chips on the circuit board) and a bit of power from 12v (to spin the motor)

1 hour ago, Tomas_04 said:

below are components which i have bought:
Case = Infinity INF-C13 (https://tokopedia.link/93wVbVufWGb)
CPU = Intel Core i7 4770T
RAM = 16GB (https://tokopedia.link/GRIPbHlgWGb)
GPU = NVIDIA GT 720聽

SSD = 480GB Klevv Neo N400 x2 (https://tokopedia.link/ICwZYvZfWGb)

HDD = currently 3TB HDD x3, will change for brand new 11 HDD in the future.

That cpu consumes maybe 30-50 watts if it runs at 100% , but all from 12v

The ram is powered usually either from 3.3v or from 5v , and consumes around 2-3 watts per stick

The video card will consume at most 20 watts, in games. Outside games, it would probably average less than 10 watts.聽 Pretty much all from 12v

A SSD is powered only from 5v聽 and should consume less than 3-4 watts when reading data from it, and maybe up to 8-10 watts when writing continuously for long periods of time.

Besides this, you have fans that consume around 2-3 watts each, and the motherboard will consume maybe 5-10 watts from 5v and 3.3v to power chipset, onboard audio, network, extra usb controller etc

Your keyboard and your mouse will consume in total maybe 2-3 watts from 5v,聽 or around 0.5A

Mechanical drives, as I said, will consume under 10 watts each - around 4-5 watts from 5v (0.5A to 1A), and the rest from 12v to spin the motor

The Current is like .... it's stupid analogy but think of it like water pressure in a pipe, and voltage is like a particular liquid density (think of 5v like gasoline and 12v like diesel) ... so a liquid type/density and a pressure give you the energy amount, the power (watts)

So the motherboard and the mouse and the keyboard and the sata ssds聽 will already consume a bit of the 5v budget, let's say around 3A of current from 5v.聽聽 This means you'll have up to聽 (Listed current value - 3A ) available for mechanical drives

While that page recommends at least a 430 watts power supply, the page is not smart enough to recommend you a suitable power supply. It doesn't tell you to also pay attention to make sure there's enough current available on 5v and 3.3v, because you may buy a 450w power supply that can only supply 15A on 5v for example, which may not be enough for 10+ hard drives.

The CoolerMaster Masterwatt modular psu you list is fine, but if you look at the headers, the 550w model has only 2聽 peripheral headers on it, it has 6 sata and 2 molex, 8 in total.

3 hours ago, mariushm said:

I found a guy who sells a used Seasonic SS-660KM Active PFC F3. like you said, it is Modular with Lots of SATA Headers.
is it good enough for my target build? and should I buy it?

on one hand it looks gorgeous, but kinda sus. I cannot find SS-660KM on Seasonic Official Website, and this is the only website which reviewed it (Seasonic X-Series 660W Modular Power Supply - Bjorn3D.com). Secondly, it's manufactured in 2010.... will it be good enough?

image.png.e76b54e1e44c6560f0df6a0808962739.png

I Found linus old review of probably a similar power supply, but its 650W instead of 660W

Edited by Tomas_04

41 minutes ago, Tomas_04 said:

I found a guy who sells a used Seasonic SS-660KM Active PFC F3. like you said, it is Modular with Lots of SATA Headers.
is it good enough for my target build? and should I buy it?

on one hand it looks gorgeous, but kinda sus. I cannot find SS-660KM on Seasonic Official Website, and this is the only website which reviewed it (Seasonic X-Series 660W Modular Power Supply - Bjorn3D.com). Secondly, it's manufactured in 2010.... will it be good enough?

I Found linus old review of probably a similar power supply, but its 650W instead of 660W

As you can see on my system specs / profile, I still use a Seasonic X-650 bought in December 2010 ...

Not much to break in them, they're made with quality capacitors and have quality fans.

I'd say yeah, go for it... risk should be very low.聽 Just make sure you get the bundle of cables (some only install one or two cables with sata/molex and leave the others in a box or in some cupboard and forget about them)

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I'd say yeah, go for it... risk should be very low.聽 Just make sure you get the bundle of cables (some only install one or two cables with sata/molex and leave the others in a box or in some cupboard and forget about them)

i'll make sure. thanks @mariushm