Help picking out a good VR setup.

Windexerr
Go to solution Solved by Sanedish,

Cheap (90+ ish $): Quest 1 for PC/VR Only

Semi (200+$): Quest 2, good standalone and PC/VR

Expensive (500+$): everything not standalone

Very Expensive (1500+$): Valve INDEX, certainly the best.

Note: For PC only, the Quest 1 has OLED screens, wich might be nicer for your games.

With getting a nice new gaming PC I have been trying to figure out which VR to get myself, I'm trying to play that 'Tarkov like' looter shooter on steam with the setup if possible. 

What do you use or what do you suggest?

i7 13700kf - gigabyte b760 DS3H - 32gb teamgroup 3200mh - asus tuf 4070 12gb - nzxt 650w gold psu - msi m371 1tb nvme  m.2 ssd - kraken 240mm aio - h5 elite case

Cheap (90+ ish $): Quest 1 for PC/VR Only

Semi (200+$): Quest 2, good standalone and PC/VR

Expensive (500+$): everything not standalone

Very Expensive (1500+$): Valve INDEX, certainly the best.

Note: For PC only, the Quest 1 has OLED screens, wich might be nicer for your games.

I am NOT a professional and I write before I think, so REFRESH THE PAGE!!!  Theres a 99% chance I've edited my post.

Also: Please enable XMP/D.O.H.C before asking why your ram is too slow.

To expand on this.

For me the top contenders for PCVR on a budget is Quest 2 ($250) Quest 3 (500) or a Pico (400)

The Quest 2 and 3 can also be used stand alone and if you have a decent wifi setup you can stream your pcvr wirelessly. 

As to the PC that is where things get more complicated. Running a game on the Quest 3 for example is harder than running 4k content. Now there are ways to reduce the quality and resolution to make these games run smoother, but if you want to crank everything to the max then you will need a pretty beefy computer for that.

I personally prefer the Quest 3 because you get more overall games thanks to Metas huge stand-alone library. It doesn't have Oled screens or Local Dimming, but if you adjust your brightness it is still very immersive. The Quest 3 does have a nice FOV though, 120hz displays, and very good resolution per eye. 

If you are doing this on a lower budget .... the quest 2 is pretty much impossible to beat at the $250 price point. If money isn't a concern though and you are looking to spend 1k+ then let me know and I will update this. Most people coming into this space aren't looking for that though, which is why I have left them out.

just bought  a quest 2....ask away

nvm the suggestion for the index, its not the best nor has it ever been. if you have no budget the a vision pro otherwise its quest 2 or 3 if you care about AR. it really is nice putting it on and if you just want to watch movies or play the odd game its nice having standalone. I can use mine with project cars and half life alyx the two main reasons to own vr and its amazing, almost no screen door effect with the quest 2. the quest 3 is a nice upgrade but by the time games for it come out using the new hardware it will be outdated. the life cycle of most vr if oculus is anything to go by is 2 years, in 2 years enough has changed to warrant an upgrade.

I think I'm leaning toward the Quest 2, and then getting a new power supply and a beefier GPU, I got the 4060ti but when playing most games my vram is almost fully used up and the gpu is sitting at 99% use, so looking for something with more than 8gb.  I dont know how it works with a VR headset since it has to have its own processor of some sorts and some sort of GPU inside of it, after watching videos on the Ghost of Tabor the game doesn't even have that much detail or anything but with big maps I suspect I'll need to be hooked to my computer for it to run nicely, I dont think the standalone system would be able to run it, I do need to do some more research, was thinking of hitting up the Ghost of Tabor Subreddit and seeing what setups people use

i7 13700kf - gigabyte b760 DS3H - 32gb teamgroup 3200mh - asus tuf 4070 12gb - nzxt 650w gold psu - msi m371 1tb nvme  m.2 ssd - kraken 240mm aio - h5 elite case

stand alone headsets can be used as full on pc vr headsets..they are dual purpose...so yes its dumb getting anything but