Can i use 6+2pin to 6 pin on mobo?

Blazepoint5

Hey guys so let me explain i have a cosair 650w psu and it has 24, 6+2 and others so the motherboard i want to connect to has 6pin only? Here is the thing:

1) can i plug the 6pin on the 6+2 that is used for connecting GPUs on the motherboard?

2) psu require the 24 pin to be connected for it to work right? 

3) arent i supposed to use 24 to 6 pin addapter? (Im having trouble funding it where i am and ordering is not cheap trust me)

I want to know if i can plug in the 6+2 pin split that i know is used for GPUs to connect to the motherboard, the motherboard is HP EliteDesk 800 G1 MT motherboard since its 6 pin on the mobo. I have a 4x2 split wondering if that would be any diffrent.

Im trying as hard as i can to explain what im trying to say for it to make sense, 

Im new to pc building and im not native in English, thanks.

8 minutes ago, Blazepoint5 said:

Hey guys so let me explain i have a cosair 650w psu and it has 24, 6+2 and others so the motherboard i want to connect to has 6pin only? Here is the thing:

1) can i plug the 6pin on the 6+2 that is used for connecting GPUs on the motherboard?

2) psu require the 24 pin to be connected for it to work right? 

3) arent i supposed to use 24 to 6 pin addapter? (Im having trouble funding it where i am and ordering is not cheap trust me)

I want to know if i can plug in the 6+2 pin split that i know is used for GPUs to connect to the motherboard, the motherboard is HP EliteDesk 800 G1 MT motherboard since its 6 pin on the mobo.

Im trying as hard as i can to explain what im trying to say for it to make sense, 

Im new to pc building and im not native in English, thanks.

Do not use the PCIE GPU cables for CPU power on the motherboard, they are rated for completely different wattage.

The HP EliteDesk 800 G1 MT most likely uses a proprietary motherboard and power cables from a proprietary power supply.

15 minutes ago, Blazepoint5 said:

YES

DO NOT PLUG IN GPU POWER TO THAT MOTHERBOARD IT WILL DIE

You have to get a hp elitedesk 800 24 pin to 6 pin adapter

Whats the reason for this upgrade?

The power connector on that motherboard is proprietary, you need a 24-pin adapter for it.

As others said, do not plug a PCIe power cable into that connector! The pins are all different, so you could fry the motherboard by feeding 12 volts into power rails that aren't supposed to have that.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 2/2/2024 at 9:00 PM, Needfuldoer said:

The power connector on that motherboard is proprietary, you need a 24-pin adapter for it.

As others said, do not plug a PCIe power cable into that connector! The pins are all different, so you could fry the motherboard by feeding 12 volts into power rails that aren't supposed to have that.

How about a 4x2 pin

On 2/2/2024 at 8:49 PM, jaslion said:

YES

DO NOT PLUG IN GPU POWER TO THAT MOTHERBOARD IT WILL DIE

You have to get a hp elitedesk 800 24 pin to 6 pin adapter

Whats the reason for this upgrade?

Would a 4x2 split do any diffrent 

On 2/2/2024 at 8:40 PM, Hinjima said:

Do not use the PCIE GPU cables for CPU power on the motherboard, they are rated for completely different wattage.

The HP EliteDesk 800 G1 MT most likely uses a proprietary motherboard and power cables from a proprietary power supply.

Do you think a 4x2 split doing any diffrence 

Ok listen ive been doing my research but i keep hitting thr wall and i dont want to test it for my self and end up implanting a bomb in my house so, can a 4 ×2 split pin work on a 8pin motherboard? I have a cosair 650w psu nothing fancy really, the motherboard incase your wondering is for the dell optiplex the 7 and 9 thousand series it has an 8pin motherboard connector.

If not do i really need an adapter? 

Isnt there anyother alternative besides the adapter? (24-8pin or 24 to 6pin)

20240124_111832.jpg

This should work: https://www.amazon.com/COMeap-ATX-Cable/dp/B07NJ1BV2G

A normal 8-pin CPU cable WOULD NOT work. 

Also, that PSU is pretty old. 🙂 

It shouldn't matter though - it's an Optiplex after all... 

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

What dell?

If its those dell boards that have a 4/8 pin cpu power connector and then the 24 pin is like 6 or 8npins then you NEED AN ADAPTER.

If not well explosions basically

Ah, welcome to the hellish world of proprietary motherboards.

Despite they might look like they fit, ATX connectors shouldn't be used on whatever nonsense form factor this HP motherboard uses, reading a bit reveals one of the 6-pin connectors is used to power the SATA ports... yeah, they couldn't just take power from a normal connector and buck it to the ports, that'd be too easy... the other is system power, which is used for the motherboard itself, but none of them share a pinout with the ATX connector. Oh and to make it even better you also need another 6-pin slim connector that from the looks of it all it does is sense the different rails and short the PS_ON wire, just like in normal computers... but worse.

2 hours ago, Blazepoint5 said:

Im having trouble funding it where i am and ordering is not cheap trust me

I trust you. But at least you can order it prebuilt, I can't.

From a technical standpoint it's not that hard to mod a standard ATX power supply to make it work with that particular board, been there done that for clients as it's impossible to buy OEM parts for those computers in my country. I don't like adapters so I grab a standard PSU and rewire it myself, crimp the terminals, connectors, all of it, old school style (this also guarantees that the user can't play around with connectors and that other hypothetical technicians that get hands on the computer know WHY I did that).

Now, I can't share details on how exactly do this to users because... how I'd earn money? nah it's not that as we're in a forum it's because of this little thing called liability, if I tell you how to make an adapter you could fuck up at some point or ignore my indications and either set something on fire or get shocked, or both, so, I'm afraid I can't do that. Dave.

Never open a power supply if you have no clue how it works or what all of the little components inside are or do. Caroline does not need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

On 2/2/2024 at 10:24 PM, Needfuldoer said:

Absolutely not.

None of the connectors on a standard ATX power supply will plug into that motherboard connector and work properly! You need an adapter that plugs into the 24-pin power connector.

Alright thanks bro

I have one more question 

Can i use 2 psu? Like the stock psu to power the board and other stuff and use the big psu for the gpu? I know its crazy but who knows

On 2/2/2024 at 10:53 PM, Caroline said:

Ah, welcome to the hellish world of proprietary motherboards.

Despite they might look like they fit, ATX connectors shouldn't be used on whatever nonsense form factor this HP motherboard uses, reading a bit reveals one of the 6-pin connectors is used to power the SATA ports... yeah, they couldn't just take power from a normal connector and buck it to the ports, that'd be too easy... the other is system power, which is used for the motherboard itself, but none of them share a pinout with the ATX connector. Oh and to make it even better you also need another 6-pin slim connector that from the looks of it all it does is sense the different rails and short the PS_ON wire, just like in normal computers... but worse.

I trust you. But at least you can order it prebuilt, I can't.

From a technical standpoint it's not that hard to mod a standard ATX power supply to make it work with that particular board, been there done that for clients as it's impossible to buy OEM parts for those computers in my country. I don't like adapters so I grab a standard PSU and rewire it myself, crimp the terminals, connectors, all of it, old school style (this also guarantees that the user can't play around with connectors and that other hypothetical technicians that get hands on the computer know WHY I did that).

Now, I can't share details on how exactly do this to users because... how I'd earn money? nah it's not that as we're in a forum it's because of this little thing called liability, if I tell you how to make an adapter you could fuck up at some point or ignore my indications and either set something on fire or get shocked, or both, so, I'm afraid I can't do that. Dave.

Never open a power supply if you have no clue how it works or what all of the little components inside are or do. Caroline does not need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

Funny with the jokes lol, your right i can literally create a bomb since i have no idea about this stuff so my last result is to wait for months until i aquire the money to orther an adapter cause ive search everywhere in my place but no chance of  finding one, anyways thanks for all the information. Karen does not need to hear all this, she's bad at her job so lets keep it to our selves.

On 2/2/2024 at 11:06 PM, Blazepoint5 said:

Funny with the jokes lol, your right i can literally create a bomb since i have no idea about this stuff so my last result is to wait for months until i aquire the money to orther an adapter cause ive search everywhere in my place but no chance of  finding one, anyways thanks for all the information. Karen does not need to hear all this, she's bad at her job so lets keep it to our selves.

Ohh i have one stupid question: cant i use 2 psu? The stock one for the board and other stuff on it and the big boy psu for the GPU? heh!

On 2/2/2024 at 10:39 PM, jaslion said:

What dell?

If its those dell boards that have a 4/8 pin cpu power connector and then the 24 pin is like 6 or 8npins then you NEED AN ADAPTER.

If not well explosions basically

Yikes 

Cant i use 2 psu or something like the leave the stock psu where it is since im not overclocking or something and use the one i have to power the GPU

Let me explain: 

I want to get a dell optiplex 7020 or the 9020 bla bla bla... 

And i want to slap a GPU (RX 580 8GB gigabyte model) and i have a TX650w cosair psu, plut twist! The dell optiplex has an 8pin connector and requires an addapter (24-8pin),but guess what? I dont have one because ive been searching for it and lucky me haven't seen any, and ordering in my country costs a fortune basically, so im trying to avoid that, so my muppit little brain said what if i can use 2 psu then? [Do you get where im going with this].

So leave the stock psu the way it is so it basically powers the mobo and other stuff on the mobo, and i can use the PSU i bought to power the gpu? Hahhh, hahhh what do you think, crazy i know but i dont know, would it work? so i wont sell my limb to by a damn adapter in which to others cost a mear dirt but to me likewise.

Not native English speaker BTW.

The gpu and psu:(dont mind the dust its clean now)

20240124_111341.jpg

20240124_111832.jpg

Yes, this can work. The PSU connected to the motherboard will turn on the moment you press the power button.

The PSU connected to the GPU will have to be jumped. You will need a paper clip or some other piece of metal to bridge two of the pins on the 24-pin connector. Afterwards you flip the power switch on the back of the PSU and then you turn on the system.

Should look something like this:
image.thumb.png.004390ea901c5852f951090611f6513c.png

Thought I posted an adapter on your previous thread - pls check there. 

That will eliminate the need for 2 PSUs and you can use your TX650. 

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

24 minutes ago, Blazepoint5 said:

I want to get a dell optiplex 7020 or the 9020 bla bla bla... 

And i want to slap a GPU (RX 580 8GB gigabyte model) and i have a TX650w cosair psu, plut twist! The dell optiplex has an 8pin connector and requires an addapter (24-8pin),but guess what? I dont have one because ive been searching for it and lucky me haven't seen any, and ordering in my country costs a fortune basically, so im trying to avoid that, so my muppit little brain said what if i can use 2 psu then? [Do you get where im going with this].

Country?

Budget?

Usecases aside from gaming?

Those are haswell optiplexes, imo not worth buying unless you get em cheap due to the myriad of headaches regarding upgrades particularly gpu/psu related stuff

what spec optiplex are you looking at (i5, i7)?

And what are their prices?

For an i5 optiplex no more than 50$

i7 no more than 80$

Non z haswell boards are worth around 10-15$

used haswell non k i5s somewhere around 15$ aswell

8gb sticks ~8$ 4gb sticks ~4$

Used half decent psus 10-20$ at the lower end

Used coolers are a couple bucks if not free and you can ziptie mount most downdraft coolers and still get good mounting pressure so 775 copper cores or old amd copper heatpipe coolers are usable and perform pretty well for how cheap you can get em

Used cases maybe 10-20$ for a decent one but lotta used office cases for <10$ or you can get free cases if someones throwing em away

ssds not worth buying used most of the time unless you get a good deal where it isnt nearing the price of buying new

Keep in mind that with optiplexes the psu is unusable garbage for any decent gpu and the board is gonna require adapters which do cost money, dual psu is possible but its just uneccesarily complex and is gonna be a whole lot messier than a single psu, also youll want the tower versions cause the sffs only support half height cards unless you destructively mod the case in which case you might aswell run the thing ontop a cardboard box open bench style

Imo not worth converting optiplexes to gaming machines as theyre too much of a hassle and dont really save any money

if you really wanted to convert a prebuilt into a gaming machine go for an old x79/99 based workstation like the hp z440 as theyre relatively cheap, usually have pretty decent psus that can support proper gpus (if not theyre standard so you can swap a regular psu in), and arent stuck to quadcores so theres an actual performance benifit assuming you can find one cheap enough where you cant just go and buy a used b3/450 for ~50$ and pair with a used ryzen 3600(x) for 50-60$ or 3100/3300x/3500(x) at the same price if your used market is not good which will obliterate both the optiplexes and old workstations due to the cpus themselves performing better and also upgrade path to a 5800x3d/5950x

7 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Country?

Budget?

Usecases aside from gaming?

Those are haswell optiplexes, imo not worth buying unless you get em cheap due to the myriad of headaches regarding upgrades particularly gpu/psu related stuff

what spec optiplex are you looking at (i5, i7)?

And what are their prices?

For an i5 optiplex no more than 50$

i7 no more than 80$

Non z haswell boards are worth around 10-15$

used haswell non k i5s somewhere around 15$ aswell

8gb sticks ~8$ 4gb sticks ~4$

Used half decent psus 10-20$ at the lower end

Used coolers are a couple bucks if not free and you can ziptie mount most downdraft coolers and still get good mounting pressure so 775 copper cores or old amd copper heatpipe coolers are usable and perform pretty well for how cheap you can get em

Used cases maybe 10-20$ for a decent one but lotta used office cases for <10$ or you can get free cases if someones throwing em away

ssds not worth buying used most of the time unless you get a good deal where it isnt nearing the price of buying new

Keep in mind that with optiplexes the psu is unusable garbage for any decent gpu and the board is gonna require adapters which do cost money, dual psu is possible but its just uneccesarily complex and is gonna be a whole lot messier than a single psu, also youll want the tower versions cause the sffs only support half height cards unless you destructively mod the case in which case you might aswell run the thing ontop a cardboard box open bench style

Imo not worth converting optiplexes to gaming machines as theyre too much of a hassle and dont really save any money

if you really wanted to convert a prebuilt into a gaming machine go for an old x79/99 based workstation like the hp z440 as theyre relatively cheap, usually have pretty decent psus that can support proper gpus (if not theyre standard so you can swap a regular psu in), and arent stuck to quadcores so theres an actual performance benifit assuming you can find one cheap enough where you cant just go and buy a used b3/450 for ~50$ and pair with a used ryzen 3600(x) for 50-60$ or 3100/3300x/3500(x) at the same price if your used market is not good which will obliterate both the optiplexes and old workstations due to the cpus themselves performing better and also upgrade path to a 5800x3d/5950x

Thanks for the thread bro absolutely wonderful 

But you dont get it all this stuff you mentioned cost double here injust 2 months i think because before i was seeing rx 580 for 40-45 thousand which is around 54$ but in just 2 months bro it spiked because of devaluation from 45 to 160 thousand some goes for 160 thousand😑 that made me extremely sad and frustrated so my budget was 130,000 in my currency but now due to the devaluation very thing just changed as i said, 

Does optiplexes goes for 20-25,000 max but now upto 60-70,000 now

PSU that i saw was 10,000 now 30,000 

The gpu before 45,000 now 160,000 

But i was lucky to meet some dude and got the GPU for 100,000 and psu for 30,000, now my budget is crap.

I could have bought a gpu, an optiplex, a decent 1080p monitor, extra storage and ram but now its ruined. 

Me seeing this, i made the decision of getting the gpu and psu because i know the prices would keep going higher and higher, it has never came down before.

Understand why i dont want to order some adapters and really looking for alternative, im trying to find a solution before i can even get the optiplexe cause now that im talking i only have a gpu and psu, so yeah.

8 hours ago, PowerPCFan said:

Thought I posted an adapter on your previous thread - pls check there. 

That will eliminate the need for 2 PSUs and you can use your TX650. 

Thanks for the thread bro absolutely wonderful 

But you dont get it all this stuff (the adapter) its 14$ i think, 14$ is 28 thousands in ny currency thats why i want to avoid anything like that. Things cost double so what ever it is in $ multiply it by 2,000 and and that would be the money in my equivalent here, i think because before i was seeing rx 580 for 40-45 thousand which is around 54$ but in just 2 months bro it spiked because of devaluation from 45 to 160 thousand some goes for 160 thousand😑 that made me extremely sad and frustrated so my budget was 130,000 in my currency but now due to the devaluation very thing just changed as i said, 

Does optiplexes goes for 20-25,000 max but now upto 60-70,000 now

PSU that i saw was 10,000 now 30,000 

The gpu before 45,000 now 160,000 

But i was lucky to meet some dude and got the GPU for 100,000 and psu for 30,000, now my budget is crap.

I could have bought a gpu, an optiplex, a decent 1080p monitor, extra storage and ram but now its ruined. 

Me seeing this, i made the decision of getting the gpu and psu because i know the prices would keep going higher and higher, it has never came down before.

Understand why i dont want to order some adapters and really looking for alternative, im trying to find a solution before i can even get the optiplexe cause now that im talking i only have a gpu and psu, so yeah.

One other reason why I dint like ordering! Let me explain lets say i want to buy the adapter 14$ thats 28k here so thats just for the item, banks charge vast sums of money if you want to convert ur money to $ and if you pair that to delivery pice it adds up maybe 35k or more and literally all the time things ordered tend to get lost. You go to post office to pick ur stuff and they would say they cant find it, its lost and you cant do a damn thing about it.

8 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Yes, this can work. The PSU connected to the motherboard will turn on the moment you press the power button.

The PSU connected to the GPU will have to be jumped. You will need a paper clip or some other piece of metal to bridge two of the pins on the 24-pin connector. Afterwards you flip the power switch on the back of the PSU and then you turn on the system.

Ive seen this i have to get the proper orientation for where to jump it and hope im not igniting a fussed bomb 

On 2/2/2024 at 10:30 PM, Senzelian said:

Use tape to block 2nd and 3rd pin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#Pinout) on the GPU so you don't get in to a situation where you're connecting 2 ATX PSU's in parallel.