Raptor Lake Refresh 2.0 Coming?

tkitch

Summary

Intel seems to be planning a SECOND raptor lake refresh, to live along side Arrow Lake later this year. 

Quotes

First things first, no this doesn't mean that Intel's upcoming Arrow Lake CPUs aren't coming in 2024. Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger recently confirmed that Arrow Lake is still go for later this year.

Instead, YouTube channel RedGamingTech claims that Bartlett Lake will be sold alongside Arrow Lake as something of a mainstream offering to Arrow Lake's premium positioning.

My thoughts

Okay Intel, why?

Yes that's 4 "generations" on one socket, but 3 of them are literally the same silicon ffs. 

Your naming is already confusing enough, there's no way this will make it easier 

Sources

https://www.pcgamer.com/intel-reportedly-prepping-refresh-of-raptor-lake-refresh-no-really/

22 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Summary

Intel seems to be planning a SECOND raptor lake refresh, to live along side Arrow Lake later this year. 

Quotes

My thoughts

Okay Intel, why?

Yes that's 4 "generations" on one socket, but 3 of them are literally the same silicon ffs. 

Your naming is already confusing enough, there's no way this will make it easier 

Sources

https://www.pcgamer.com/intel-reportedly-prepping-refresh-of-raptor-lake-refresh-no-really/

Red gaming tech and MLID are not a reliable source of information. And how soon one forgets 14nm++++++++++++ debacle. Not really tech news as much as its just speculation.

54 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Red gaming tech and MLID are not a reliable source of information. And how soon one forgets 14nm++++++++++++ debacle. Not really tech news as much as its just speculation.

MLID is very reliable for a leaker. Internal projections on a project often shift. 

I have not had the same experience with Red, but I also have not looked that much into his work. 
Anyways in terms of OP.

it sounds like these could just the low end raptor lake parts.  As in, There are no Pentium or "intel inside" on the desktop side or i3 or Pentium on the laptop side. 
I did watch the RGT video and tried to come in fair, as usually I avoid watching them. Im not entierly sure what he is trying to say for 8 minutes of that video other then it exists in lab. Which sure it might.  Absolute worst case scenario for intel, its a back up plan for if Arrow lake fails to meet simulations/time tables for release.

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

Yes that's 4 "generations" on one socket, but 3 of them are literally the same silicon ffs

imagine complaining about this.... do you want to go back to 1 generation lock outs?

Just now, Lunar River said:

imagine complaining about this.... do you want to go back to 1 generation lock outs?

its not a new generation. 

1 hour ago, starsmine said:

MLID is very reliable for a leaker. Internal projections on a project often shift. 

Lol no. 

No to MLID being reliable leaker and no to "the project changed" being a good excuse to why he get so many things wrong. The reason he get so many things wrong is because he makes stuff up and sometimes he is right, but a lot of times he is wrong. 

A lot of things he has gotten wrong (and then deleted the videos because that's what he do when he's very wrong) have been for things that can't just be changed willy nilly. Prices and such can absolutely change, but major architectural functions and features doesn't just get added, removed or changed a few months before launch. 

Older generations can be used to fill out the product line when a new gen comes out. Even AMD does it. On Intel desktop CPUs in particular, the previous would fall back to Raptor Lake.

4 hours ago, tkitch said:

Will it be the same socket? Arrow Lake will be a new socket/platform, and a Raptor Lake offering for the low end of that socket is very possible.

The PCGamer writer doesn't understand how the fab industry works. They point to it as an indicator of Intel having low capacity of its new nodes. Well, that's perfectly normal. TSMC has the same ramp up. First you get it working, then you scale it up. It takes time. You don't go from nothing to high volume manufacturing in one step.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

Older generations can be used to fill out the product line when a new gen comes out. Even AMD does it. On Intel desktop CPUs in particular, the previous would fall back to Raptor Lake.

Will it be the same socket? Arrow Lake will be a new socket/platform, and a Raptor Lake offering for the low end of that socket is very possible.

The PCGamer writer doesn't understand how the fab industry works. They point to it as an indicator of Intel having low capacity of its new nodes. Well, that's perfectly normal. TSMC has the same ramp up. First you get it working, then you scale it up. It takes time. You don't go from nothing to high volume manufacturing in one step.

I'd say the problem is more with the misleading naming that would imply these are new products when, in fact, they're just renamed old chips

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I'd say the problem is more with the misleading naming that would imply these are new products when, in fact, they're just renamed old chips

It is a new product, with an older architecture. They'll also be switching to the new naming system, so enjoy!

We can even go back to Skylake as an example of same microarchitecture, different product. Skylake was 14nm, Kaby Lake was 14+ and Coffee Lake was 14++. The change in process helped out with perf/W. From an overclocker perspective, top end gained about 100 MHz between each of those on equivalent cooling.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, porina said:

It is a new product, with an older architecture. They'll also be switching to the new naming system, so enjoy!

4770k vs 4790k makes a little more sense though, if same arch etc. Will have to check if there is any actual changes like TLB, page, cache sizes etc