The possibility of an M.2 on an old Asus z87-k motherboard

NGODK

Hello

(for clarity: 1) I am a complete novice when it comes to building a computer. 2) I have an old prebuilt computer)

I recently noticed that my old HDD has begun showing wear (bad noises on spin-up), and a recent SMART check has shown a couple of bad sectors, in comes my question/recommendation request, I found out that I could buy a 1TB M.2 SSD cheaper than a 1TB Seagate HDD (Seagate is the only HDD manufacture that I "know" is trustworthy) but my z87-k motherboard does not support M.2, so I was wondering if I could use an adapter (M.2 to SATA) to use the SSD? Is it a dumb idea? what would you recommend?

I am not expecting any speed benefit, nor will I use the M.2 as my boot drive, I just saw that the M.2 is cheaper, granted an adapter would make it more expensive but I hope to build a new computer in the near future, and I suspect an SSD is more reliable with a longer lifespan because of no moving parts.

Thanks in advance.

That should work, and even be bootable. I’ve put NVMe SSDs into Haswell PCs with PCIe adapters before, they worked just the same as if they were in a native M.2 slot. 

They’ll work as storage devices as far back as PCIe exists, but Ivy Bridge and older can’t boot off NVMe directly. (You have to chain-load through a bootloader like Clover.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.