LTT Videos are Changing..

I've been watching LTT since early scrapyard wars and just got back into watching every upload when it releases but over the last few week I've noticed an increase pure ad based videos. Like the newest release with electroboom, in my eyes I was constantly distracted by constant and "in your face" sponsor placements and it's really turning me off the videos. I'm finding the videos increasingly scripted seeming and again so many sponsor placements, when I go watch a Jayztwocents video the entire thing can be sponsored by Microcentre and I can easily watch the video without feeling like Jay is reading off a script they sent him. It might just be something I don't understand, or me only noticing now, or even just my taste changing. I watched the latest LTT server rack rebuild video and I love hearing what the LTT employees have to say about something, usually because they are better informed on a certain topic because they are working directly on it, but it seems like Linus always takes back the spotlight too fast and they are just standing awkwardly in the background and sometimes even covered up by yet ANOTHER overlay of some product from the LTT store. No shade to LTT and especially all the crew behind the videos, and it might just be my tastes changing, but it's seriously turning me away from the videos. Just dumping my thoughts.

you're comparing apples and oranges.

A Video sponsored by microcenter isn't the host spending the entire video shilling microcenter.  Cuz, that'd be really weird.

A Sponsored video about "PRODUCT XXXX" is going to be a video entirely about that product.  

It's entirely two different things.

But, when you watch J2C videos at MC, he also never fails to mention MC at least 20 times in the videos.

Its a for profit bussiness ans this seems to work.

As said to anyone basically. If ya dont like it move on.

I rarely watch the videos anymore but this is a nice forum so I stay

Also j2c and ltt have different styles where ltt is quite in your face and does try to integrate stuff in attention grabbing usually somewhat fun ways j2c is very casual about it usually so it doesnt jump out. But you can bet your ass that if its a video about x product provided by the company product is from both will shill to their hearts content in their own styles 😛

6 minutes ago, tkitch said:

you're comparing apples and oranges.

A Video sponsored by microcenter isn't the host spending the entire video shilling microcenter.  Cuz, that'd be really weird.

A Sponsored video about "PRODUCT XXXX" is going to be a video entirely about that product.  

It's entirely two different things.

But, when you watch J2C videos at MC, he also never fails to mention MC at least 20 times in the videos.

Yep I agree, like I say it only effects me it's not like I'm saying they should change. Just a shame cause you are probably right but I notice the sponsors in LTT vids much more than others. Like I say just me ranting.

12 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Its a for profit bussiness ans this seems to work.

As said to anyone basically. If ya dont like it move on.

I rarely watch the videos anymore but this is a nice forum so I stay

Also j2c and ltt have different styles where ltt is quite in your face and does try to integrate stuff in attention grabbing usually somewhat fun ways j2c is very casual about it usually so it doesnt jump out. But you can bet your ass that if its a video about x product provided by the company product is from both will shill to their hearts content in their own styles 😛

You're right, in the end they are all businesses trying to make money for whatever they are trying to do, it's a shame cause I love the crew and LTT's status means they get access to amazing stuff which I would never dream of seeing. Thanks for the reply!

20 minutes ago, mrgraypant said:

Yep I agree, like I say it only effects me it's not like I'm saying they should change. Just a shame cause you are probably right but I notice the sponsors in LTT vids much more than others. Like I say just me ranting.

you also realize that when LTT isn't blatently obvious about sponsored videos, people get up in arms that they're pretending sponsored videos are being presented as reviews.

Ye they stopped caring about tech journalism long ago. It's just 100% product placement at this point. really not enjoyable anymore...

This is nothing new. 

Just lower you expectation or find some other channel to watch.

The internet is big, lots of good stuff out there.

If you think they could run a company with that many employees without more ads than someone with probably a 1/15th of the staff, your not thinking clearly.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

47 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If you think they could run a company with that many employees without more ads than someone with probably a 1/15th of the staff, your not thinking clearly.

J2c has less than 1/30th the staff.  Probably 1/40th at this point.

Things change as channels evolve. Many youtube channels that are slick now really weren't when they first started, for example.

If the channel no longer meets your needs, other channels are available.

Sounds like you need SponsorBlock in addition to uBlock

And no, you won't "steal" content from anyone by using extensions as youtube still counts the ads as played even if you don't see them.

That's the amount of interruptions in that particular video with electroboom.image.png.8d88ce8b52a1c7e7b006ec7406a27844.png

Compared to a video by electroboom.

image.png.515066e8ef52d1f9a4a0cc807ea66f69.png

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

On 1/29/2024 at 10:36 AM, mrgraypant said:

I've been watching LTT since early scrapyard wars and just got back into watching every upload when it releases but over the last few week I've noticed an increase pure ad based videos. Like the newest release with electroboom, in my eyes I was constantly distracted by constant and "in your face" sponsor placements and it's really turning me off the videos. I'm finding the videos increasingly scripted seeming and again so many sponsor placements, when I go watch a Jayztwocents video the entire thing can be sponsored by Microcentre and I can easily watch the video without feeling like Jay is reading off a script they sent him. It might just be something I don't understand, or me only noticing now, or even just my taste changing. I watched the latest LTT server rack rebuild video and I love hearing what the LTT employees have to say about something, usually because they are better informed on a certain topic because they are working directly on it, but it seems like Linus always takes back the spotlight too fast and they are just standing awkwardly in the background and sometimes even covered up by yet ANOTHER overlay of some product from the LTT store. No shade to LTT and especially all the crew behind the videos, and it might just be my tastes changing, but it's seriously turning me away from the videos. Just dumping my thoughts.

Being a hobbyist content creator myself - and also regularly annoyed by aggressive advertising techniques - I don't think LTT's videos are that bad. In the video with Electroboom, the sponsored product was a part of the video, true, but it actually made sense, and I hope the guy likes his new Origin PC. For most videos by LTT anymore, expect to see at least one plug for a product, especially tech, because that's literally part of the name (Linus TECH Tips).

Anyhow, I find it piques my interest when Linus is able to be brutally honest about a sponsor's product or service and still get sponsored by the same companies. It adds a kind of "uniqueness" that you don't get to see with other video hosts. While I'm not too fond of the raunchy innuendo comments that are sprinkled here and there, I find Linus and company enjoyable to watch (especially when they mess up which, to be fair, they end up finding an alternate solution).

I find it much better, and in better taste, when a content creator injects their own ads into a video than when a video is interrupted by ads that can't be dismissed and can even take control of your viewing experience. I even have watched some of the ads LTT has had in their videos, especially when it's a product of interest (like PC equipment - check my specs on my profile, and you might see why I'm watching these ads for ideas). While I have yet to buy any LTT Store products, I think we can all agree that at some point, we've bought a sponsored product or service advertised by LTT.

So, I'm comfortable with Linus and his crew doing sponsorships. As long as it's not about "Please donate to the cash cow!", I will continue to watch their videos.

UPDATE: I reread your comment, and I misunderstood that you were also talking about Electroboom's channel. I wouldn't know about that, since I have yet to watch several of his videos, but my guess is that he's been doing more ads to try and keep his channel alive. In the recent LTT video featuring Electroboom, they gave him a ton of stuff, so I expect he'll probably cut back a little on aggressive ads. Even so, it's still better to have ads in the video than the video being interrupted by ads.

Edited by ThankGodItsFriday
Misunderstood the author's message; clarification.

The mind of a person with discernment gets knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge. Proverbs 18:15 CJB