Winrar store file without compression but what is Dictionary size ? to store iphone backup

Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,

The dictionary is used to store information when compressing a file. Larger dictionary size can potentially lead to better compression. Since you're not using compressing, just leave it alone.

Basically compression works by replacing patterns that repeat multiple times with an indicator that says "pattern goes here". The dictionary is used to store the translation from such an indicator back into the original data, e.g.

01 -> [uncompressed data]

001 -> [some other data]

The larger you allow the dictionary to grow, the more and larger patterns can be stored in it, potentially allowing for better compression. The larger the files you compress, the larger you generally want the dictionary to be. But no compression = no dictionary needed.

hello
I want store files without compression
I select store no issue 
but i want store iphone backup 
what is Dictionary size >?

what mean these numbers.png

I do not know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone

The dictionary is used to store information when compressing a file. Larger dictionary size can potentially lead to better compression. Since you're not using compressing, just leave it alone.

Basically compression works by replacing patterns that repeat multiple times with an indicator that says "pattern goes here". The dictionary is used to store the translation from such an indicator back into the original data, e.g.

01 -> [uncompressed data]

001 -> [some other data]

The larger you allow the dictionary to grow, the more and larger patterns can be stored in it, potentially allowing for better compression. The larger the files you compress, the larger you generally want the dictionary to be. But no compression = no dictionary needed.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

There's NO dictionary if you use STORE.  In STORE mode, there's no compression, think of the contents of the files put in archive as one stream of bytes, one file after another.

Is there a particular reason you are putting this information in a rar file in the first place?

Generally with a backup I always keep it plain files, as if any part of that rar file becomes corrupt it can be hard or impossible to recover any of the contents.  Whereas if a few bits corrupt on a normal copy you lose maybe a file, or in the case of a jpeg it may barely be visible.

I'd at least run PAR2 on it and create some parity files so you have some potential to repair it if something goes wrong.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Is there a particular reason you are putting this information in a rar file in the first place?

Generally with a backup I always keep it plain files, as if any part of that rar file becomes corrupt it can be hard or impossible to recover any of the contents.  Whereas if a few bits corrupt on a normal copy you lose maybe a file, or in the case of a jpeg it may barely be visible.

I'd at least run PAR2 on it and create some parity files so you have some potential to repair it if something goes wrong.

Thanks for the information, I will do some precautions for this

I do not know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone