Would a DELL PowerEdge R630 8SFF Server 2x E5-2690v4 2.6GHz =28 Cores 32GB H730 4xRJ45 be able to run a MC server?

DELL PowerEdge R630 8SFF Server 2x E5-2690v4 2.6GHz =28 Cores 32GB H730 4xRJ45 is what I could find, if anyone else has 32Gb and can host a MC server for under $250, that would be great

A vanilla Minecraft server can run and support half a dozen players on a CPU from 10 years ago, but depending on your mods and how many players, a server might need a modern Threadripper and still might struggle. It really comes down to what you plan to do with the server.

For most use-cases, a 28-core 2.5-3.0GHz system with 32GB of memory should be fine, especially if it's exclusively running the Minecraft server. What will make a bigger difference with the internet connection supplied to the server. It needs to be on a decent backbone that's near a centralized node. If your latency is poor or inconsistent, you're going to have a bad time. Most residential internet connections are not consistent enough to provide an amazing experience, but still playable so long as you're not hosting dozens of players.

I plan to use this to host a hardcore server with about 100-200 players, with minimal mods.

Running a 100+ player server is no easy task. Without something like Folia (https://paper-chan.moe/folia/), server CPUs could struggle due to their lower single-thread performance. You'll want to do a lot of research into how to configure your server to best utilize its resources to support that many players at once.

For 200 players, you'll probably want more RAM. 48GB would be a better starting point, although 64GB would let you up the render distance limit for your players.

Still, your biggest limiting factor is going to be your residential internet connection. Unless you're on a symmetric fiber connection that's near a main node, players are going to experience quite a bit of latency. I recommend setting up a small-scale server to test your home internet connection first. You could use a Live USB/CD installation of Ubuntu or similar on your current computer and set up a basic Minecraft server to allow a handful of friends to hop on and play around with.

You're in for quite a challenge running/maintaining a server of that size. You'll definitely want to look into various admin tools and strategies to help you manage a player base that large, lest it will become a full time job for you.

Registered ECC DDR4 for LGA2011-3 servers is relatively cheap, so load up on plenty of it.

These server processors aren't quite as simple as "bigger number more better", because they're designed for different use cases. They have to strike a balance between clock speed and core count, and depending on your workload you might actually be better off with a higher-clocked CPU with fewer cores than a slow CPU with lots of cores. 

But yes, an R630 with a bunch of RAM in it should be adequate for a reasonably sized Minecraft server. 

Stepping up to a Skylake based server would probably be cost prohibitive anyway, unless it's one of the low end models that uses a desktop socket.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.